Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Acolyte
Registered Member

Default Looking for a first bike

DISCLAIMER: I'm not some ignorant kid looking for some hot-ride bike to stunt around on. Yes, I'm 20, which is younger then a lot of you (I'm assuming), and I know a lot of people around my age are coming on and saying 'I want an R1! Yeaahh, boyz!', but rest assured that I 1) Would never buy a bike that big, ever, 2) Wouldn't ride without having fully completed all the courses I can. I'm not afraid of the bike, per se, but I know that I can easily mess up and get seriously hurt. That said...

Alright, I'm looking into buying my first bike in the next year or so (It'll take me that long to get the money and finish all of my training courses). I prefer the look and feel of sport bikes over traditional cruisers (I've messed around, by which I mean riding around a big empty parking lot, with a Ninja 250 and a GZ250 Marauder), but I'm not going to exclude them as a choice.

Anyways, I've got a few questions for you guys:
1) Is there a noticeable difference in handling between sport bikes and cruisers? Is one type easier then the other? When I was tooling around with the two bikes, I found the Ninja a bit nicer on the corners, but the cruiser wasn't *that* much different, and was a bit nicer on the straights for me.

2) Which size of bike would you recommend to start out? Some people I've asked have recommended 250s and others 500s, for a number of reasons. I'm leaning more towards the 500, simply because I'll likely want to upgrade to one eventually, so it saves me the hassle of buying a 250, selling it, and buying a 500. Plus, I'd like to do some distance trips on one (When I graduate, I've been...well, dreaming, honestly-of a road trip back across Canada-I go to school in Windsor, but live in Whitehorse), and I don't think a 250 would fare very well on a trip like that, simply because I'd be running it really high for a long time.

3) Are there any particular brands of safety wear you'd recommend? I'm going to get the full-on set (Going from predominantly large vehicles to a barebones motorcycle, I'm taking all of the protection I can get)

4) As an addition to 2), are there any bikes you'd recommend for that range? I don't have any preference for brands, really. As for price, I'm looking up to $7000, new or used.

Aside from those, any other recommendations? Thoughts, opinions, things I should know? Any help would be much appreciated.
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Check out the review of the new Boss Hoss. You'll never grow out of that!

As for gear, a wife beater, doo rag, and some fingerless gloves ought to do the trick. Look out Canada!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I think Airhawk hacked into buz's account...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

I prefer sportbikes to the traditional cruisers too, but I like naked standards, adventure bikes and DPs even better. You might look at some of those for starters. I would always advise against a sportbike for a first bike mainly because the seating position severely restricts your ability to use the mirrors, look over your shoulder, etc and it is the most fatiguing seating position for the vast majority of riders. The best choice for a first bike IMHO is one where you sit comfortably like you would riding a horse. Being relaxed you are more able to observe your surroundings. Plus, sitting up you are more visible.

Once you develop an adequate skill set then sell the starter bike you bought used for what you paid for it and then indulge your fancy. But I suspect you will decide to not go with a bike that is as limited as a sportbike or cruiser once you get experience on more well rounded bikes. The vast majority of riders I know who have 20+ years on bikes spend most of their riding time on other bikes than sportbikes or cruisers.

Those bikes are so yesterday anyhow.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
dodogenocide
Registered Member

As a new rider, its nice to hear about somebody else with the brains and the foresight to be not make a jacka$$ of himself. About a month ago, a friend of a friend hadn't had his license 12 hours before he bought a 900cc stunter and did 130mph into the back of a Suburban (he was doing a wheelie and didn't notice it). Seven grand is quite a bit for a first bike - you could get a good ninja for under four, but cruisers are usually more expensive. These guys will tell you you'll drop it, so keep that in mind.

There's nothing wrong or with starting out on a 250; they'll poot along at highway speeds like a trooper.

Good luck, dude!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Yesterday I was checking out a couple of VStroms at an Interstate rest stop. The guys who were riding them were raving about their versatility. Both bikes had some nice aftermarket bags and stuff. I believe the price on the 600 version is in range of a $7k budget. They did seem a little tall in the seat height department if that's an issue for you.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I prefer sportbikes to the traditional cruisers too, but I like naked standards, adventure bikes and DPs even better. You might look at some of those for starters. I would always advise against a sportbike for a first bike mainly because the seating position severely restricts your ability to use the mirrors, look over your shoulder, etc and it is the most fatiguing seating position for the vast majority of riders. The best choice for a first bike IMHO is one where you sit comfortably like you would riding a horse. Being relaxed you are more able to observe your surroundings. Plus, sitting up you are more visible.

Those bikes are so yesterday anyhow.
Pony lover!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Pony lover!
Did yer mom get parole? Is she moving into your double-wide?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Did yer mom get parole? Is she moving into your double-wide?
Oh you wanna talk about mamas?

Your momma is so fat, I once poked her in the leg and she leaked gravy!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Yo momma so fat...

...people jog around her for exercise.