Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
My one concern is comfort for long distances, and that might be my deciding factor.
Then look into the lightweight cruiser market. There's a zillion of them out there, usually equipped with windshields, bags, backrests, even floorboards. The used market is packed with bikes like that. The Ninja 250 is no doubt a cool bike, but not the one that comes to my mind for someone who wants to ride 400+ miles on a weekend jaunt.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
Acolyte
Registered Member

I'd love to get a cruiser, but they're way out of my price range. I could probably afford the engine and maybe one of the tires on a cruiser.

However, I'm thinking that, once I finish my MSF courses (I'm writing my M1 soon, then taking my M2 and M MSF courses in the spring), I'll look into getting a Ninja 250. I figure that, if I buy a used one, I can ride it until I decide to stick with biking and get something a bit bigger and more suited to long rides or decide that it's not for me and sell it to the next 20-something student like me looking to get into biking.

Thanks for all the advice on here. If there's any other words of wisdom you feel need to be imparted, I'm still willing to listen (I'm several months out from getting a bike anyways).
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

You can get a lot of cruiser for $7000. So, I'm not sure what you mean.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
Acolyte
Registered Member

Huh, most of the bikes I've seen are upwards of $10,000. Keep in mind, this is in Canadian money-while the exchange rate is about 1:1 now, vehicle manufacturers and sellers haven't gotten the memo, apparently.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #25
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

A quick search on Caigslist Montreal (not sure where in canada you are located) had these listings for cruisers in your price range:
2003 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER HUGGER 883
Suzuki Intruder 91
Honda Shadow 650cc Modifie
HARLEY DAVIDSON 2005 883LOW SPORTSTER 550 MILES
2000 Victory Motorcycle
Yamaha Vstar 2006- 10,000klms
2001 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom

Not all are appropriate first bikes. But there are options out there.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Honda Shadow, Kawasaki Vulcan come to mind. They have models around 650cc that sell in nice condition for $3-4k all day long.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #27
Acolyte
Registered Member

*Headdesk*
Ok, I'm apparently on crack-when you said cruiser bike, for some reason I thought the full-on ones like Goldwings and such. Ah-buh-buh...

*Ahem*
Yeah, any of those would be definitely be appropriate. (I'm in Windsor, BTW, but it's easy enough to find similar bikes here) My current plan right now, honestly, it to do my MSF courses in the spring and pick the nicest 250 around when I get the money, be it a sport or light cruiser (Even if I would prefer the Ninja). The local MSF course uses 250 cruisers, I believe (I think they're Honda Rebels). And, once I've decided to stick with biking, sell that one and buy a 500 in the type I prefer.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #28
pushrod
Founding Member

I'm an "old guy," 6 foot tall with a 32" inseam. I rode a borrowed Ninja 250 from PC to Pensacola (about 100 miles). My bike at the time was a Harley FXR Low Rider. I was on my way to 'Nawlins to move my future bride back to the Redneck Riviera.

Once I realized the engine would rev past 4000 rpm, it was highly entertaining, and not too uncomfortable; but I did need to have the seat surgically removed from my @ss when I got to the end.

As has been mentioned in other recent posts, the Wee-Strom (DL650) is a great bike (if you're long of leg) and they go for $7000 new. Discounts abound, and there are several used for sale. Just looking at cycletrader, there were 22 used or out-year new bikes for sale. The SV650 is an immensely popular bike, and was/is one of the MO Holy Trinity.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #29
Acolyte
Registered Member

I'm really liking that SV650-I'll definitely consider them if/when I upgrade from whatever 250 I pick.

Anyways, what brands and stores would you guys recommend for protective gear? I'm going to pick up a jacket, pants, gloves and a helmet (full-face) soon (I've already got a pair of heavy-duty steel-toed boots that should suffice), but have no idea what brands and such are any good. I'm more into the textile stuff, but I'll still definitely consider leather stuff.
Also, is there a safety standard for the clothing, like there is for the helmets?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #30
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

newenough.com and sandhillspowersports.com are two online stores with good pricing, shipping, and return policies. I've bought most of my gear from sandhillspowersports, but quite a few folks on this board like newenough (with good reason).

My two jackets (one leather, and one mesh) are both Icon. My pants are Joe Rocket Alter Ego. But that's personal preference. You might want a one-piece textile suit. I'll let others chime in on that.

The armor you want to get is the CE-approved stuff.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote