Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Bikes for the really tall... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/6450-bikes-for-really-tall.html)

Foxc 09-26-2007 04:38 PM

Bikes for the really tall...

Hi, I'm 6'6, 180lbs, with a 36"inseam, and looking to buy my first bike. I was hoping to find a cruiser that would fit me - I've seen some mention of the Honda Nighthawk being good for tall people in the forums, but all those its been recommended for are about 6'2. Any advice?

Thanks!

BrowningBAR 09-26-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxc (Post 169974)
Hi, I'm 6'6, 180lbs, with a 36"inseam, and looking to buy my first bike. I was hoping to find a cruiser that would fit me - I've seen some mention of the Honda Nighthawk being good for tall people in the forums, but all those its been recommended for are about 6'2. Any advice?

Thanks!

Most Dual Purpose bikes would fit you.

As far as cruisers (and the nighthawk is a standard) you will probably need to go with one of the larger cruisers to feel comfortable on it. I would have to assume the Kawasaki 2000 would fit you. But it's not exactly a good first bike choice.

Wait a minute, 6'6" 180lbs?! Good god, you're lankier than my gangly ass!

Get a dual purpose bike to learn on than trade it in for a big ass cruiser. Just keep in mind that the big cruisers weigh quite a bit (750-900lbs).

seruzawa 09-26-2007 06:25 PM

Get a KLR650 or a DR650 or a DRZ400. Buy used, ride it for 6 months and then sell it for what you paid.

By that time you'll have a better idea what you really want.

Cruisers and sport bikes are so yesterday anyhow. Naked standards and Adventure bikes are where it's at.

Dr_Sprocket 09-26-2007 07:59 PM

I am 6'5" and 190 lbs. I, too, have a 36" inseam. I started with a 1985 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC (a very easy bike on which to learn). It is great for short distances (1 hour or less), not so good for longer distances (> 2 hours).

I just purchased a 2008 Buell Ulysses. That bike fits me like a glove. I tried the KLR650. Sure the KLR felt good while flat-footing it, but the seat to peg ratio just plain sucked for me.

Sit on 'em. Try 'em all out. You'll know which one is for you. But, for learning on, you can't beat an old Nighthawk!

Buzglyd 09-26-2007 08:12 PM

Get the Ducati Hypermotard. If you don't like it, you can always give it to me. ;-)

pplassm 09-27-2007 05:40 AM

+1 on the dual-sport. Why limit yourself to paved roads?

Kenneth_Moore 09-27-2007 05:44 AM

And for the HD enthusiast, the HD FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide is well known for accomodating really tall riders, if you can stand (no pun intended) the forward controls.

Buzglyd 09-27-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 169977)
Most Dual Purpose bikes would fit you.

As far as cruisers (and the nighthawk is a standard) you will probably need to go with one of the larger cruisers to feel comfortable on it. I would have to assume the Kawasaki 2000 would fit you. But it's not exactly a good first bike choice.

Wait a minute, 6'6" 180lbs?! Good god, you're lankier than my gangly ass!

Get a dual purpose bike to learn on than trade it in for a big ass cruiser. Just keep in mind that the big cruisers weigh quite a bit (750-900lbs).

Yeah, as thin as you are, you might want to go out and get an ass first and then purchase a motorcycle!

bbtowns 10-03-2007 11:21 AM

You might try the Wee-Strom (DL650). There's a guy here's who's 6'4" who rides one and loves it (he weighs twice what you do though!). It's not a cruiser, but the cruisers appropriate for someone your size aren't appropriate for a first bike.

pushrod 10-03-2007 12:51 PM

The Wee-Strom gets great reviews (IIRC, it's in the latest MotorCyclist). You should be able to find a gently used one for a decent price.