Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Jager71
Registered Member

Default Need advice for new biker.

Hello all. I am a 36 year old male who finally got the wife to green-light getting a bike (after I increased my life insurance of course). I am 6'2 and weight 225. I have very limited prior riding experience (around 8-10 hours total on a friend's Yamaha 750 on rural roads) and need advised on what to look at. I have a gut feel that a sport touring would be the best bet, but most I've seen start at 800cc and up, which is way more bike than I would feel comfortable with. The smaller ones I've seen (500) seem to all be rice burners, and quite frankly I'm too damn big to fit on one of those. I live in So-Cal so I would be able to ride year-round. Any suggestions?

FYI: I do plan on attending as many safety classes as the CHP gives. Also, anyone who cracks about having a mid-life crisis can get in line behind my wife..I freely admit it's either this or the convertible.
Jager71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What kind of convertible? I've been Jonesin' for this lil' copper-coloured Miata Hardtop with a MazdaSpeed package down at my local - MSRP is like $30k, if it sits another month I think I'll offer him 25-5 for it.......

Oh, Right! The bike!

KLR650

I happen to know of TWO of them for sale right at this moment - a '97 and an '00. Both ~8k miles each, Milwaukee area (take a bus there, ride one home - it'd be an Adventure!)

Lemme know if you're interested, I'll PM you my friend's contact info and details. NO direct affiliation with the bikes, the guy is a friend and I trust him implicitly.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
What kind of convertible? I've been Jonesin' for this lil' copper-coloured Miata Hardtop with a MazdaSpeed package down at my local - MSRP is like $30k, if it sits another month I think I'll offer him 25-5 for it.......

You have good taste in cars! I've owned a '90, a '95, and a 2000 Miata MX5. All of them were excellent cars, reliable as bricks and super fun to drive. Perfect for Florida.

The Mazdaspeed MX5 was just a couple of years, like 04 and 05, wasn't it? I was looking at some 07s but didn't see the 'speed version. I do like the new hardtop model, but damn they are pricey. The Saturn Sky and the Pontiac version are pretty nice, but I can't bring myself to buy a GM. The Honda S2000 is $36k, and will run with the Boxster. When I'm ready for the next 2 seater I think that will be the one.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Actually, I think it's just a "Dealer Package" with Mazdaspeed parts on it (intake, exhaust, shifter kit, ECU) - not actually a Mazdaspeed MX5 - there's no badging saying as such. This one has that reddish-brown leather interior, goes REAL damn nice with the copper finish. You owe it to yourself to go down and look at one and play with that retractable hard top - coolest thing since sliced bread. It's amazing how they managed to engineer all those parts to interlock and fold-up into the same space as the soft top.

It Rocks.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
dodogenocide
Registered Member

bikes are great, convertibles are great...just don't try to combine them in a trike. Those things are just lame if you're over 3 feet tall.

I heard the KLR650's are as reliable and predictable as a French surrender, so check them out.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Actually I did! It's a neat hardtop, and it actually looks pretty good when up. But I just have a hard time spending $30k or more for a Miata. They've always been an icon of affordable sports car fun. When you get into that price range I'd like to see some more power. If I wasn't so busy keeping the ancient bikes I ride running, it would be great fun to get an older Miata and build it into a hot car. The aftermarket for the MX5 is awesome.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Jager71, You'll want to be looking for a bike (you'll notice a slant toward the DP bikes, since you mention "tall") that has somewhere to put your legs.

The thing I tell folks, when they are looking for a new/another bike is to first decide what they want to do on it. Ride to the nearest Hooter's? Ride it to Alaska? Ride by yourself or with another on the back? You want to pack stuff along, or ride with nuthin'? You want flashy? You decide what you'll use it for, and you'll find several bikes out there that will do it.

Don't get fixated on the size of the engine. I tell folks all the time that most bikes go plenty fast enough to kill you. It's how well the brake and throttle are used that is the ticket.

Just never forget that all the cars are trying to kill you. Other than that, riding's a piece o' cake!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

used KLR 650, ride the wheels off it and sell it for what you paid when your ready for a new bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Get the bike _and_ the convertible. I picked up a used RX-7 convertible for cheap and its a gas. Plus, it's not gay like a Miata.

+1 on the KLR and other DP bikes. Experience the full range of motorcycling. Dirt is fun, too, ya know.

I just spent 4 days in WV riding old strip mining areas. Amazing!

Last edited by pplassm : 09-18-2007 at 06:53 AM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I picked up a used RX-7 convertible for cheap and its a gas. Plus, it's not gay like a Miata.
Unlike three Nazi Officers in a sidecar........