Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
knicky
Registered Member

Question What kind of bike should I get....?

Hello,

Ive decided that I want to get a motorcycle in the next couple of months, Im 6'2" about 200lbs, Im looking for something cheaper obviously being that this is would be my first bike. I really like the ducati 695. But i was curious if that would be the right bike for my hieght. Thanks for your help!
knicky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

I used to work for a Duc dealer. It's a fun bike and can more than accomplish your goals except- it's tiny for your size. Get a left over Monster 800 or wait for the Suzuki GSF650 to be released. Better yet, buy an old Honda Nighthawk 750 (all day and night for $1800-$2500). Ride it, Drop it, Lock up the back brakes in a panic stop- Then decide if riding is for you. After your first year is up go get the bike you want and sell the CB for the same money you paid for it (if you keep it up on two wheels). You'll be happier for it.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
ejis
Founding Member

A dual sport would fit you, as they're often taller, offering more legroom. A more street biased bike like the WeeStrom would work for you as well. The Nighthawk is also a good suggestion, near bulletproof, cheap, and quite capable for a variety of tasks. Regardless, used is the way to go. You can always get the Duc later once you've got some miles under your belt and know what kind of bike you really want.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The BossHoss 500ci....oh, forget it...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
bbtowns
Founding Member

You got pretty good advice from acecycleins, I'm nearly exactly your size. Start used unless you really need to have a new bike. The suggestion of a Nighthawk was excellent, as would nearly any older naked bike (excepting newer liter bikes, you might as well survive the first year). You can find a variety of Suzuki GS models that would be excellent to start with, as would an older BMW GS for that matter. You might also consider a dual sport, which are a ton of fun, nice and tall for those of us with legs. Many riders have started riding on a KLR650, which can be had fairly cheaply for an older model, and has a huge after market. The advantage to the dual sports is you can go play in the dirt too, which is great training for street riding.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
knicky
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys.

What a resonable price to pay for a used bike to learn on? I've been looking the monster 800 that was suggested and roughly going for $5000, give or take how ever much. Im figuring thats a bit to much for a bike to just learn on.
knicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default That helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicky View Post
Thanks for all your help guys.

What a resonable price to pay for a used bike to learn on? I've been looking the monster 800 that was suggested and roughly going for $5000, give or take how ever much. Im figuring thats a bit to much for a bike to just learn on.
... to know how much you want to spend. There are loads of used bikes to choose from. Japanese bikes especially tend to experience ruinous inflation. Although the past couple of years of higher gas prices has temporarily boosted the used bike prices. I haven't paid more than $2800 for a bike in the last 17 years.

If you are truly serious about your approach to motorcycles you will forgo the bigger bikes. I've been riding for 43 years now and if I had to do it over I would start with a Dual Purpose bike. You're big enough for a KLR650 or a DR650. The Suzuki DRZ400 is also an excellent choice. These bikes are easy to ride and can be taken off road which is excellent practice. Figure out how much you have to spend and subtract $1000 for a complete set of riding gear and the cost of the MSF safety course.

Approach motorcycling with the seriousness it deserves and you'll be rewarded many times over. A lot of people get hurt (or killed) or scare themselves off completely by getting in over their heads on machines they have no business riding. If you were learning to fly you wouldn't buy an F-16 for your first plane would you? Start off easy (not timidly) and work your way up comfortably.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
SmokeU
Registered Member

Get something for $1500-$3000 and have a ball. I've never paid more than $3500 for a bike personally. Not that I wouldn't mind being able to pay more though.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Take Your Time and Look Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Get something for $1500-$3000 and have a ball. I've never paid more than $3500 for a bike personally. Not that I wouldn't mind being able to pay more though.
And by the way, I scored an really nice Concours for $900. I have put in about that amount again for typical maintenance (hoses, alternator), but it's a great runner and it looks almost new!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

My BMW K100RS- $3500. My 1986 V-Max was $4100. My average ride for the last 20yrs around $2800. Buy cheap. Live happy.