Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default This boards advice is wonderful...

So after a long think, i desided that buying a 600CC race bike is a little too... ok way too much for my first road bike, even with riding prior i dont want to kill myself.

Anyways. i figured ill go the resonable route and look at used bikes, went to a used bike shop, talked to them and they tried to convince me to buy a 72 honda CB125, i honestly think they think I'm... stupid.

Anyways.

I have a list of bikes here that this place has, unfortanatly they are the only used bike shop around and have a tiny selection of bikes. BUT, i can afford to buy one, and i guess thats the point. i'd rather ride an old 50cc scooter than nothing.

1972 CB750 Four: $3300
1981 Yamaha Midnight special: $2900
1978 GL1000 (full fairing top box and bags, 38,000 miles): $2700
1986 Honda VFR: $3250
1980 Honda 750F: $1895

There are a couple dirt bikes and what not that I'm really NOT interested in but thats about it otherwise. I'm really partial to the look of the 72 CB750 with its kick start and all but i don't think its worth $1500 for the "look" of the bike and a kick start... atleast not at this point in time (first bike and all) The yamaha is pretty but its a big bike, i believe its a liter cruiser?

The girlfriend likes the GL1000 (Daddy has a GL1500) because of the passenger back rest and what not, though i think its a little well... big, though i could always strip the fairing and bags off of it.

the 86 VFR, while pretty, im afraid is like the 600 race bikes being too much power. though as a couple people said prior experience and keep it in the love RPMs.

The 80 750F is an ok bike, not the prettiest thing in the world but seems functional and the guy raved about how reliable they are (then again he's a sales man) and it has a nice flat seat and seems like it would be an ok thing to have for a while and at $1850 i wouldn't cry as much if i dumped it.

anyways enough ranting, any advice?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Where are you located? What shops (dealers) do you have nearby? You might consider buying something on eBay or CraigsList, frankly.

My concern about all those bikes is that they will be heavy and relatively hard to find parts for because of their age. Even for Hondas. (I have an '89 CB-1 and even that "young" a bike has some trouble.)

I think you can do better, to be honest.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Your probably right. I'm in Pittsburgh PA. I was thinking about going to the Honda House but its very out of the way and i don't have a car. (girlfriend has one but everywhere i go either the bus goes or is with in walking distance.)

One of the reasons i was thinking about sticking with Honda WAS because i thought there would be lots of parts for things like the VFR or the 750F.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

With the gas crunch the prices of used bikes has gone a bit nuts. Everybody seems to think that his old POS is a "rare, collector's bike".

An '80 Honda 750 is worth more like $850. Many parts are discontinued and you have to hit the junkyards to keep them running. In fact all those prices at that shop are way over book value. Most aren't even listed any more. That dealer is a crook.

Have you tried the private classifieds?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I'm kinda-sorta in agreement with seruzawa here. I mean, Where the HELL did this shop dig these things up, and exactly out of which orifice did they pull the pricetags?

There's like $2000-$2500 worth of bikes there, total. IF they all run well AND have relatively new rubber.

How far are you willing to travel for a bike, how much cash do you have to spend, and how much work are you capable of to get/keep one running?

Did you ever decide on which "type" of bike? (cruiser, standard, sport, etc.)

I wouldn't even walk back into that shop, were I you. It's Insulting how stupid he must think his customer-base to be.

Really.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Default The only bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I'm kinda-sorta in agreement with seruzawa here. I mean, Where the HELL did this shop dig these things up, and exactly out of which orifice did they pull the pricetags?

There's like $2000-$2500 worth of bikes there, total. IF they all run well AND have relatively new rubber.

How far are you willing to travel for a bike, how much cash do you have to spend, and how much work are you capable of to get/keep one running?

Did you ever decide on which "type" of bike? (cruiser, standard, sport, etc.)

I wouldn't even walk back into that shop, were I you. It's Insulting how stupid he must think his customer-base to be.

Really.
even close to fair value is probably the Gold Wing. And that's if it looks really good and has new rubber and it's still about $800 too high IMHO.. I can't complain too much 'cause I paid $2400 for an '81 GL1100 w/32K on the clock.

But the others. An '81 Yamaha (XS650? 1100?) for $2900? It wasn't that much new! LOL!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post

But the others. An '81 Yamaha (XS650? 1100?) for $2900? It wasn't that much new! LOL!

That's exactly what I was thinking, I didn't pay those prices for my KZ750 or my GPZ750 new LOL,

You can do much better than those prices, I'd hit craigs list or the classified's. Pittsburg is a pretty big city, there must be a butt load of bikes for sale there abouts.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Hmmm. Pickings are pretty slim for beginner bikes on Pittsburgh Craigslist:
pittsburgh motorcycles/scooters classifieds - craigslist

I _did_ find this, though:

1971 BSA Gold Star 500
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

oops. Missed this one.

1997 SUZUKI DRZ350 DUAL SPORT

I know you don't want a dirt bike, but dual-sports make great first bikes. Why limit your possibilities.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
oops. Missed this one.

1997 SUZUKI DRZ350 DUAL SPORT

(from the ad...) "I understand what book value is and I don't care, the bike is perfect"...

Classic, and exactly why he'll still have the bike when you call LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote