Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I love the idiots that are trying to sell a used EX250/Ninja250r for $3500-$4000.

Here's also a good on. For $3000 (which is the MSRP) you can get a 2-3 year old ex250 with 5500 miles on it. Jackass.
2005 KAWASAKI EX250 NINJA STREET BIKE 5550mi
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Default The big bore kit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
(from the ad...) "I understand what book value is and I don't care, the bike is perfect"...

Classic, and exactly why he'll still have the bike when you call LOL
... means that he should be expecting less than book, not more. Who knows how good a job he did with the mods.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... means that he should be expecting less than book, not more. Who knows how good a job he did with the mods.

That's why when I buy used I buy virgins, I've cleaned up after enough sledgehammer mechanics with used cars. I'm not about to start doing with bikes too.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
even close to fair value is probably the Gold Wing. And that's if it looks really good and has new rubber and it's still about $800 too high IMHO.. I can't complain too much 'cause I paid $2400 for an '81 GL1100 w/32K on the clock.

But the others. An '81 Yamaha (XS650? 1100?) for $2900? It wasn't that much new! LOL!
Wow, i guess i had a brain fart and didn't look at Blue Book before posting. So the Gold Wings blue book is $1640, the CB750F is $1140 and the VFR is $2075.

Think i might call them and make them an offer. If you honestly look around at our craigs list and classifieds, there is more or less nothing. I'm a little weary about ebay and the whole not seeing it first. Seen a couple buddies of mine get screwed buying cars off of ebay.

I wonder how pissy they would be if i offered them the actually value of one of their bikes. $2050 for the VFR 750 or $1100 for the CB750F? Might just be fun to call and see what they say..
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #15
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Let us know what happens. And offer a bit less! Tell them that you're on to their silly pricing scams too.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
bbtowns
Founding Member

Craigslist or cycle trader are probably your best bets for your location. There ought to be tons of more modern bikes for the prices they are listing. You ought to be able to find a Honda Nighthawk (750) for around $1,250 in pristine condition, or lower with a few more miles. While buying used from a dealer is less of a hassle, there's going to be a premium involved. Whether that premium is really worth is up to you. You probably will want to have a dealer look over any bike you're considering buying, unless you're reasonably mechanically inclinded.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

+1 Cycle Trader - Print or online. In my area, Florida, this is how most of the people I know find their used bikes. They're sorted by mfg. and area code, and you can find a bunch of bikes close by. The photos suck, but you can get an idea and then go look.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 AM   #18
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
You ought to be able to find a Honda Nighthawk (750) for around $1,250 in pristine condition, or lower with a few more miles.

That would be quite a find here in Central VA. Try doubling the asking price.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Take your time Newagetwotone. You will likely find a good deal if you are patient. Check the classifieds in your local paper, and also if you have a "classifieds only" magazine in your area like the Thrifty Nickel or similar, look there as well. Unless you are a skilled mechanic I would avoid bikes older than about 1990 (ballpark figure there). I have had my share of old Japanese iron, and although some of the parts are available at the dealer, a lot of parts are not available unless you go to a salvage yard and can find another bike of the same model that hasn't already been cannibleized. Many times if you are looking at old bikes, it may have been years since the bike was ridden. They often need tires, chain and sprockets, a tune up, and the carbs need a good cleaning (which can be a pain). It's been my experience that a lot of shops won't want to work on an old bike. At the price levels you mentioned in your original post, you should be able to get something less than 10 years old and in fairly decent condition.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
dodogenocide
Registered Member

Personally, I don't think you can beat eBay. If you know how to spot the scams, you'll find the best deals. I've bought two used cars from eBay and they turned out great ('85 and '87 Porsche 944 = old, risky stuff). Its just as risky and impersonal as a classified ad, but at least you know what the thing looks like.

The bad part is the bikes are scattered around the country, so you'll have to narrow your search. Anyway, good luck dude!