Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
dvlsonlyhope
Registered Member

Default What kind of bike should i buy

i have a question.... now i am in the army. i recently got into riding motorcycles and i want to buy a cheap street bike. heres my question....Im a big guy at 6'5 240 pounds most bikes i have gotten on are either way to expensive for me or the just dont feel right like im cramped up. even with forward operations it just doesnt feel right. Any advice on what kind of pike i should buy that is under 8 grand that will fit me? new or used i dont care i just want a bike any advice will help.
Thanks
dvlsonlyhope is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

A dual purpose bike like the Suzuki DRZ400 should do nicely.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

+1 on the DP bike.

You should be able to find a used KLR650 cheap; they aren't very expensive new.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
dvlsonlyhope
Registered Member

I was looking for more like a Street bike like a harley or the sorts
dvlsonlyhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

A Dual Purpose IS a street bike.

Is this your first bike? Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?

If you are dead set on getting a cruiser than with your size you will be almost certainly forced to by a large cruiser that you will "feel" comfortable on.

Which means your first bike will be 600-700lbs and you will dump it several times while learning.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, first off, you "recently got into motorcycling." You're a beginner. We're not going to recommend a bike that's going to be more than you can control. Unfortunately for you, most large bikes have a lot of power and a lot of weight. That's a terrible combination for a beginner.

Getting a used dual-purpose bike is a darned good recommendation, because those bikes will have enough height for you, but the smaller ones won't have so much power that you'll get in terrible trouble. You can learn on it for a year, become proficient, and then sell it and move on to a bike that you really want. But for now, getting something inexpensive and survivable is the key. It's good advice. And those DP bikes -- the KLR 650 in particular -- are perfectly good on the street.

Second, with respect to your overall needs, "fit" is a heck of a lot more than just your legs. Bikes with forward controls might feel good in the store because you think, "ah, I can stretch out my legs" but keep this in mind -- motorcycles are MOVING vehicles. A bike demands DYNAMIC comfort, not static comfort. Air blast, shifting, turning the bars, watching traffic, all the movements involved in motorcycling as well as the dynamism of the bike itself are going to transform that couch on the dealer's floor to a very different environment. Got it? In short, you CANNOT assume that a bike that is comfortable sitting on a floor will be comfortable when it is moving.

That said, some cruisers might do for you. Or, you could look for some larger standards that have a decent seat height. Street oriented semi-DP bikes such as the Buell Ulysses or Triumph Tiger could be fabulous for you. There are a lot of options out there; they just are not very good for a beginner. Which you are. So choose something that you can learn on now and resell later.

Good luck!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ditto, learn on a KLR or the like then move on to what you feel like. Also you may not like motorcycling after a short while so why jump in with both feet right off the bat? Finally, a Buelly Uly is a perfect "big guy" bike (trust me)

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlsonlyhope View Post
I was looking for more like a Street bike like a harley or the sorts
Cheap leaves out Harley altogether. If you insist on a cruiser some of the mid sized metrics might do like the C50 or Vulcan 900. Plenty of 6'+ people ride them. Check out the classifeds for local used deals. Just remember that all new riders fall down at least once. I don't know a single motorcyclist who didn't. So you're better off with the DP as far as I'm concerned. They are designed to fall over without a lot of damage, except the bruised ego. They are also simply a hoot on street or dirt.