Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
malinda0817
Registered Member

Default My Lady Biker Story on How I began...

I’ll start off by telling you a little bit about myself and how I got into riding. I began as a passenger on the back of a boyfriend’s Sportster and quickly realized that I belonged on the front! The feeling of driving yourself…I can’t even put it into words! In addition to riding my motorcycle, I work as a Sales Coordinator for a gift distributor. (Sorry, we don’t have any motorcycle gifts.)

My spare time is devoted to riding my Harley Dyna Low Rider. (I’ve been an avid motorcycle enthusiast for as far back as I can remember.) I also enjoy traveling, checking out live bands, shopping, and spending time with my wonderful teenage daughter and son. I have been blessed with a loving family and friends.

If you are considering riding a motorcycle of your own and have doubts or fears, please note that I’m not recommending that my way is the “right way,” but if you are anything like me, I had a ton of fear and doubted myself so much that I could drive one or even own one.

Let me explain:

In April 2005, I bought my brand new (2005 Harley Dyna Low Rider) and THEN learned how to ride. Yes, that’s right, I bought an expensive big bike and didn’t even know where the clutch was, let alone where the brakes are – heaven knows we need our brakes! I had a friend of mine drive the bike home from the dealership. I then took the Rider’s Edge Motorcycle Safety Course which was offered through Harley Davidson. I was bound and determined to pass the test — I was excited to ride my pretty white bike! Oh…I did pass.

Well…the bad news is that only having 50 miles or so on my bike, I hit gravel. Yes, I went down, and thank God I had a full face helmet and all the gear on, with the exception of gloves. For some reason it is difficult for me to ride with gloves on!? I did have over $5,000 worth of damage done to my bike and got a little road rash on my hand along with a broken helmet, but I am glad that’s all that happened.

My story isn’t to frighten you from riding; I actually would like it to inspire you to ride. If your dream or passion is to ride your own motorcycle, don’t let anything stop you from pursuing your dreams! Anything is possible to those who believe.

When riding, it’s very important for you to learn your motorcycle and what it can do. I highly recommend going straight to a motorcycle safety course. Taking a motorcycle course will teach you how to save your life. It’s as simple as that. You learn in a safe and comfortable environment with trained professionals on smaller lightweight motorcycles that are provided for you. And in no time at all you’ve passed your course, and you’ve got your license to ride.

Look in your local yellow pages for schools, go to your local shops and talk to people who are riding, even if you don’t know them, people who ride love to talk bikes.

Learning to ride is not hard, for me it was getting over the fear and just doing it. I hope this has inspired you to ride, or if not, you’re thinking about it

I'd hope you would check out my Lady Biker riding gear at: Open Road Biker Gear and let me unleash the biker within.
malinda0817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement