Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
cbr6rr
Registered Member

Default selling car for a bike;; advice plz

Hello. I am a new rider and received my certificate from a safety course last July. Right now I have a car which is my main use of transportation to go to work and back home about 20-30 min each way (in LA area). I currently do not have any use for the car anymore (its a small suv) like carrying big items or carpooling etc. so i was thinking about selling it to get a used motorcycle.

But before i begin planning to sell it, I wanted to list some thoughts on the pros and cons but so far can only come up with:

cons:
- not being able to load big stuff around when needed
- cant drive in the rain
- cant take long trips (as I have family that i visit frequently and lives almost 2 hours north)
- more dangerous

and the pros:
- more mpg (although my car still gets a solid 24-25 mpg)
- getting through traffic quicker especially during rush hour
- easier to maintain
- riding the bike itself and enjoying it

are there any other things i should be keeping in mind if i plan to do this? also if i sold my car i could at most get $5000 while the KBB for it is $ 4,600. i think id have enough for a used bike and some equipment to start out with so money wouldnt be a problem.
cbr6rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6rr View Post
so i was thinking about selling it to get a used motorcycle.
For most people, that is a BAD move......especially for a new rider.

Best to get a cheap, small used bike to get your riding skills up to par first and then consider selling the car later.

Not only is rain a problem, so is fog, smog, dust, bugs, darkness and idiots on the freeway (lots of them). How much do you go out at night ?? Your riding risk factors go up about 10X when it's dark out.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
cbr6rr
Registered Member

i only go out at night during some weekends.

iwas wondering about bugs and if they really are a problem. do you get your gear dirty from dead bugs etc. after a 20-30 min ride?

as i mentioned i live in LA so i was going to use public transportation when needed. another reason i wanted to sell my vehicle was that it is 10 years old and problems are starting to develop. i dont want to spend any more money on it than i already have (new cat converter, timing belt, might have to replace motor mounts) so i thought getting a bike would be simpler in terms of maintenance.

call me ****y but i feel i can handle all the crazy drivers on the freeway. i have very high awareness while driving and find myself avoiding collisions with other drivers through their faults, and good at staying away from drivers that seem "unpredictable".

are there anyone that has done this before and something you missed the most from having a car or regretted doing?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

The money you save on gas gets eaten up by frequent maintenance and tires, possibly insurance depending on you and your bike of choice. A knock over can cost more than your starter bike is worth often. Ride because you want to, not because you believe you'll save $$$.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Owning a bike in Los Angeles is awesome. However! Get a bike in addition to a car. Think of them as separate issues entirely, even if they're not. Fix your car problem pretending that motorcycles don't exist. And save your money for a small used bike and the gear to go with it.

Don't worry about getting gear dirty from bugs. Wear a full-face helmet so that if a bug hits your helmet, it hits your face shield instead of your face. Another reason you wear a full-face helmet is so that you're better protected when the car in front of you kicks up a rock.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
cbr6rr
Registered Member

i definitely want to ride because i want to, saving money just seemed like another benefit for me. i feel that if i do happen to buy a used bike while still owning my car, i will just have it sitting on the driveway while the value depreciates from its already low point.

i am however just brainstorming some ideas and "what ifs" to be prepared in the future inc ase i do swap my car for a bike. at the moment it seems like a good idea to keep the car for a bit longer, but i just hate having to keep pushing back till i get a bike and start getting some road experience.

thanks for the input everyone;;
Old 10-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6rr View Post
call me ****y but i feel i can handle all the crazy drivers on the freeway.
I don't know what word got blanked out but I call that a pretty stupid statement to make........as you don't even know how to handle yourself on a bike yet.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Squid Killer
Registered Member

Riding in the rain isnt an issue and 2 hours isnt far.

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Killer View Post
Riding in the rain isnt an issue and 2 hours isnt far.
What ??
Do tell us more.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
What ??
Do tell us more.
I believe perhaps he's referring to an Experienced Rider. With that Caveat in mind, I concur.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote