Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
czsummy
Registered Member

Default Help me with tail bag options.

So I want to get a tail bag so I can put my textbooks in for school, which is about a 40-50 minute ride. I ride i ninja 500r and i've looked through motorcycle superstores inventory, but i'm just not sure what is right.

i'm looking at the Nelson Rigg line of bags, cause they seem to be the best bag for your buck. the 3 i'm looking at are the CL85, CL1030,and CL1040.

So does anyone out there own one of these or have an opinion on nelson riggs stuff?
czsummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

I use a backpack and Rok straps. I have the shoulder straps clipped together so they don't dangle.

You may have to get creative to come up with attachment points for the tiedowns.

Works great. And if you shop right, you'll save a heck of a lot of money over the tailpak/topbox idea.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

I have no Nelson experience but I do have a MotoFizz seat bag and its the bee's knees. The small may be what your looking for.

Small MotoFizz Camping Seat Bag - Seat and Rack Bags - Seat, Tank & Tail Bags - Packing it in :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I have a Cortech Sport Tailbag, but it only holds 1-2 textbooks. I would actually recommend the CL-950s. They'll sling right over your 500R saddle, and hold four textbooks or more. I have a set similar to these; they're great for your commute.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
czsummy
Registered Member

I do plan to ride with a back pack unless the tail bag converts into one or becomes a shoulder bag, i was worried about saddle bags because of my exhaust burning through. plus the shape of them didn't look nice to stick textbooks in.

that motofizz, looks nice what are the dimensions? i didn't see them in the description.

thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

I use a small waterproof river bag and bungie it on. They never leak and last forever. Best of all since they aren't labelled as a dedicated motorcycle product they aren't ridiculously over priced.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I like single's bars but a lot of people are using online dating and Facebook these days.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Squid Killer
Registered Member

Why not a tank bag? They can convert to backpacks and will hold books. Your bike will hold one.

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
czsummy
Registered Member

well, i was looking at tank bags, but it would need to be a good size for my books, and i don't really like the idea of that bag sitting infront of me, but all 3 of the nelson bags also convert to a tank bag and a know the one become a backpack, and the others become shoulder bags.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsummy View Post
I do plan to ride with a back pack unless the tail bag converts into one or becomes a shoulder bag, i was worried about saddle bags because of my exhaust burning through. plus the shape of them didn't look nice to stick textbooks in.

that motofizz, looks nice what are the dimensions? i didn't see them in the description.

thanks guys!
Seat Bag is the world’s most advanced motorcycle pack. It’s an armed F-16 in a field of Cessnas. Small is black/grey, 8" Top to Bottom × 12" Front to Back ×11.5" Side to Side/16" expanded. An Aero/RWH exclusive.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote