Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
lewisdj
Registered Member

Default Buying a wrecked bike.

Whats going on guys,
I am new to the motorcycle world and I am trying purchase my first bike. I have looked around and done my research on a ton of used sportbikes but I have not made any decisions yet. However, a buddy of mine rebuilds titles for cars and goes to various car auctions around the south to purchase cars for his business. He said that I could find great deals on wrecked sportsbikes. I feel prettty confident in my ability to repair a wrecked bike if I could get a good deal on one. I was just wondering a few things to look out for in purchasing a wrecked bike. A few things to stay away from if you would. I have heard people say to stay away from the bent frames because they will never run the same way again. Just some helpful advice from any of you all would be appreciated.
Thanks
lewisdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Besides the obvious mechanical and structural issues a wrecked bike brings with it, you need to check how your State deals with 'Salvage Titles.' Then check with your insurer.

You'll probably find that a 'cheap' wrecked bike will cost you as much as, or more than you could buy an intact used bike, by the time you're done finding parts. The 'deal' sours much more quickly if you cannot do all the work yourself.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisdj View Post
However, a buddy of mine rebuilds titles for cars

He said that I could find great deals on wrecked sportsbikes.

Just some helpful advice from any of you all would be appreciated.
Advice, we got plenty of that; helpful, well you might not think so.

First, a newbie and SPORTBIKE don't mix. You need to learn to ride on something more tame.

Second, what does "rebuilds titles" mean ??

Anyone who really wants to ride has no business buying a basket case; especially since you might not even know if it runs or not.

See the threads already on here about "what to get for my first bike".
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
lewisdj
Registered Member

My apologies,
What I meant by rebuilt titles is that he buys salvaged titles or wrecked cars and rebuilds them, gets them inspected by the state, and resells them.
As far as a sportbike not being tame enough for a newbie, would you not recommend a smaller 250 ninja or something in that range?
lewisdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
My apologies,
What I meant by rebuilt titles is that he buys salvaged titles or wrecked cars and rebuilds them, gets them inspected by the state, and resells them.
As far as a sportbike not being tame enough for a newbie, would you not recommend a smaller 250 ninja or something in that range?
Oh, plenty good-enough for a beginner. Enough power to kill yourself with.

But, in all honesty - a used Ninja 250 is really cheap-enough that, as pushrod pointed-out, you're probably little-to-no "money ahead" by buying a rebuilder. Even if it were virtually free. (caveat being the crash-damage essentially limited to bars, pegs, and plastic)

Now, if you feel like doing something of this nature for the experience - that's another matter entirely. But to "save money"? Forget it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes but a Ninja 250 is not REALLY a sport bike; it just LOOKS like one.

I personally wouldn't recommend the N-250 because of all the plastic body work.......that breaks fairly easily and is expensive to replace.
Other than that, if you fit, it's a fine starter.
Same for the Ninja 500.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Even if you know what you are doing replacement parts costs on motorcycles... especially Japanese motorcycles... as astronomical. For example some guy was here trying to find mufflers for a 1997 Magna 750 because the manufacturer's replacement cost is $1400. Trying to rebuild a wrecked bike can easily cost more than a good condition used bike. And a bent frame means the bike is trash.

And I beg to differ about the Ninja 250. Since it'll out perform any number of old Norton singles including some 350cc GP bikes it most definitely is a sportbike. A sportbike is merely a bike you use for sport. There's no requirement for number of cylinders or displacement.

Last edited by seruzawa : 09-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm with ya on that, the only reason I would recommend a restore/rebuild is if the bike had sentimental value to you, or pure hobby. I wouldn't think the average 15 year old bike is worth much more then $1400. And that is just one, of likely many needed parts.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
A sportbike is merely a bike you use for sport. There's no requirement for number of cylinders or displacement.
Sure, let everybody create their own definitions, why don't we.

A true sport bike is one that pretty much forces the rider into a "laid on the tank" racing posture when on the bike.......with low bars and pegs behind your seat........and a lot of horsepower. Basically a bike that was originally designed for the track.

The small Ninjas do none of that with bars at a decent height and pegs below the seat instead of behind. A full fairing does NOT make it a sport bike.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post

The small Ninjas do none of that with bars at a decent height and pegs below the seat instead of behind. A full fairing does NOT make it a sport bike.

That's true, a sportbike has to have three or four different colored graphics, a sticker here and there from your sponsors and a b*tchin' cool iridium windshield.

Everyone knows that !

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote