Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
philogeek
Registered Member

Default Gearing up, and super excited

Well, I'm at mid-life crisis point, I suppose. (lol)

When I was a teenager, I rode around on dirt bikes, but it was nothing serious. Now, though, nearly 25 years later, here I am pushing to get back onto a motorcycle. I'm seriously excited, and I've been actively researching and planning over the last 1.5 years. I'm not sure which bike I'll end up with just yet. My only real criteria at this point is that I prefer standard/naked bikes, and in the 400cc-500cc range - otherwise, my options are open, although whichever bike I opt for, the 500cc limit is non-negotiable for my first bike.

I've already acquired my helmet (full face) and jacket. I'm casually shopping for boots and gloves that I like. I recently passed the written test for my motorcycle endorsement, and I'll be taking the Manitoba version of the MSF course pretty soon to complete the endorsement requirements. At that point, I'll start shopping in earnest for the bike itself. Come Spring, I should be ready to start riding!

And yes, I'm working my way through all 45 pages of the Sticky.

See y'all in the threads!
philogeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

This reminds me of my first spaceship. She was a sleek little Universal Intergalactic; plenty of legs but a bit cramped in the crew quarters. Saw a lot of systems in that ride, ****ed a lot of aliens.

Good times...good times.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philogeek View Post
My only real criteria at this point is that I prefer standard/naked bikes, and in the 400cc-500cc range - otherwise, my options are open, although whichever bike I opt for, the 500cc limit is non-negotiable for my first bike.
Welcome to the fourm!

Unless you are a really small or weak person, I don't think you should restrict yourself with an artificial limit like that.

Although the idea is good, there are a LOT of bikes out there that would be good starters for an average or larger guy in the 600 to 900 cc range.......IF......you stick with a standard or naked or cruiser.

I love my 600 Shadow. A Suzuki LS 650 single is a good choice too.

Don't automatically rule out things just because they are above 500 cc's. Above 800 maybe and above 900 certainly.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
philogeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Welcome to the fourm!

Unless you are a really small or weak person, I don't think you should restrict yourself with an artificial limit like that.

Although the idea is good, there are a LOT of bikes out there that would be good starters for an average or larger guy in the 600 to 900 cc range.......IF......you stick with a standard or naked or cruiser.

I love my 600 Shadow. A Suzuki LS 650 single is a good choice too.

Don't automatically rule out things just because they are above 500 cc's. Above 800 maybe and above 900 certainly.
True, and honestly, I'd prefer a 650 or 750. However, due to my province's ridiculous insurance monopoly, insurance can literally double once you cross the 500cc barrier. It's pathetic that a 550cc bike can cost significantly more to insure than a 500cc model...

I'm pretty confident that I could handle a bigger bike, but I might need a promotion first!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
philogeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
This reminds me of my first spaceship. She was a sleek little Universal Intergalactic; plenty of legs but a bit cramped in the crew quarters. Saw a lot of systems in that ride, ****ed a lot of aliens.

Good times...good times.
An 'otherworldly' post!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philogeek View Post
An 'otherworldly' post!
We used to have another guy just like him here - but he fled to his home-planet when we discovered he was only here to Enslave Mankind.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

PG, you first need to determine how and where you'll want to ride.

If you'll never leave the pavement, then a small standard or racer-ish bike would do.

However, if you think you may stray off the paved roadways, then a small Dual-Purpose would be the hot tip.

If you're not sure, go with the DP.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

If you'll never leave the pavement, then a small standard or racer-ish bike would do.

However, if you think you may stray off the paved roadways, then a small Dual-Purpose would be the hot tip.

Well living in Manitoba a DP would be excellent, nothing but dirt roads and log cabins up there LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
philogeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

I think mostly street, but it makes sense to err on the side of caution just in case I might want to get off the road, too. I'll look into some DPs as well. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
philogeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well living in Manitoba a DP would be excellent, nothing but dirt roads and log cabins up there LOL
The dirt roads have easier potholes!