Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   helmet choice (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18988-helmet-choice.html)

czsummy 07-23-2011 04:04 PM

helmet choice

alright so, i just want to see what you guys think, im wondering what you think the best helmet brand is, out of the ones i tried on, HJC was my favorite, but i'm sure there are other brands that may be better, but let me know what you think, i wanna get the best.

Captain Steve 07-23-2011 05:53 PM

There is no best. There's "fits me the best". Every manufacturer is slightly different. What you want is the helmet that fits you the best. Try on the appropriate size from each manufacturer and then find the one that you think suits you best from that manufacturer.

If HJC fits you best (fits me good too) then decide your helmet budget and find one that suits you.

Dr_Sprocket 07-23-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Steve (Post 263552)
There is no best. There's "fits me the best". Every manufacturer is slightly different. What you want is the helmet that fits you the best. Try on the appropriate size from each manufacturer and then find the one that you think suits you best from that manufacturer.

If HJC fits you best (fits me good too) then decide your helmet budget and find one that suits you.

Agreed! Pick the one that fits you the best.

sarnali2 07-24-2011 08:17 AM

They'll all protect your noggin, they higher end ones are usually a little quieter or have a little better venting or graphics

czsummy 07-24-2011 11:49 AM

anyone wear an icon helmet? right now i'm torn between an icon. or an hjc, with the flip down shades. i didn't find any from icon like that.

ghettoe 07-27-2011 11:31 PM

I bought an HJC and I love it. I already knew my size from my MSF class and when I ordered my helmet, it fit unbelievable well. It is snug yet comfortable. A bit hot in the humid weather but still great. Can get slightly noisy but not too bad.

pushrod 07-28-2011 06:24 AM

If they fit you, the Scorpion flip-down or the one with the integrated shade are decently priced, and supposedly good quality.

Unfortunately (for my wallet), I have an Arai head.

czsummy 07-28-2011 12:52 PM

i found out my head is between a medium and large, so i need to decide on the snugger fit or a slightly looser.

12er 07-28-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czsummy (Post 263809)
i found out my head is between a medium and large, so i need to decide on the snugger fit or a slightly looser.

As long as loose doesn't involve slop. They loosen up with miles but they never tighten up. So if you get slop, go tighter as long as you dont get a head ache from it. So wear it around the shop for 15-20 min before buying.

czsummy 07-28-2011 04:24 PM

i don't know of a shop near me that sells icons so i will just have to wear the hjc, but i know a large hjc is fine cause ive worn one for hours already