Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Why the Harley haters? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18914-why-harley-haters.html)

Jordosilver 07-11-2011 01:48 PM

Why the Harley haters?

Ok, so I will be purchasing my first motorcycle this month. I've ridden quite a bit as a teenager, but now I have to fulfill this need to have my own bike. I am going through the basic safety class this week. Growing up in Chicago (45 mins south of Harley HQs, fyi), I never looked at any other bike but a Harley. Recently, I've made a lot of friends that ride and it seems that they are all "harley haters". They are trying to talk me into a sport bike, like a starter ninja or a FZ6R and such. And my sport bike friends hate everything Harley. Although I can appreciate those kinds of bikes, I just don't see it happening given that I always wanted a Harley. At the same time, the few friends that I have that are into Harleys, look down on Sportsters... which happens to be the bike I would like to ride. And one step further... God forbid I consider an 883... I like the Iron 883, but one of my buddies who has a 1200C laughs at it.

I just don't get it. I just want to ride. I'm sure this topic has been done before on this forum and I'm sure many others, but what gives? I need to start somewhere....

Buzglyd 07-11-2011 01:54 PM

You need new friends.

Ride what you want.

pushrod 07-11-2011 02:45 PM

+1

Screw the other guys.

12er 07-11-2011 03:04 PM

I dislike them since I live for the turns, Cruisers live for the straights. That and being huge low seat heights dont agree with my long legs. Though I dislike them more due to their owners throwing straight pipes on them and blasting around my neighborhood all hours of the night.

Being your in Chitown and have about 100 miles before you find a curve then they are just fine for most of your riding. An 883 is ok to learn on since you have rode before. They are just a little top heavy compared to other rides. I wouldnt recommend one for a complete noob though due to that.

Jordosilver 07-11-2011 03:32 PM

Actually, I am from Chicago, but live in Texas. Also, have short legs!

MOKE1K 07-11-2011 03:39 PM

You do know the Japanese make cruisers right? For me I've got to agree with 12r riding for me is all about the turns. And when you compair how avasive a cruiser is to a sport bike, it's no contest. Lets just say I'd rather be riding a sportbike when that cager trys to take me out on the street.

Ride what you want!

What is kinda of funny is (from your post) it seems some of the hating is coming from the Harley riders, that should tell ya something.

Easy Rider 2 07-11-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordosilver (Post 262863)
I just don't get it. I just want to ride. I'm sure this topic has been done before on this forum and I'm sure many others, but what gives? I need to start somewhere....

It's a macho guy thing.....mostly.
Biggest, baddest MOST EXPENSIVE toy on the block.
Nothing less will do.......even if you have to hock your grandmother to get it.

So, then, there is a backlash because there are plenty of other good options out there, some better and almost all less expensive.

If you've got the money, get whatever you want......and whatever you think is right for you at the moment. Some of the Sportys, right up to a couple of years ago, would shake your teeth out, almost litterally.

The_AirHawk 07-11-2011 04:41 PM

Because they SUCK!!!!!!!

Hondaz RULZ!!!!!

newagetwotone 07-11-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 262873)
It's a macho guy thing.....mostly.
Biggest, baddest MOST EXPENSIVE toy on the block.

Incorrect sir.

Boss Hoss Motorcycles by Mountain Boss Hoss Cycles - New and Used Boss Hoss Motorcycles

seruzawa 07-11-2011 06:00 PM

Who gives a crap what your "friends" think. Get what you want.

And if you get the 883 just put 1200cc cylinders on it and shyt on your buddy's 1200c. You can pick up used Sportsters pretty cheap now. A friend of mine just picked up a 2003 with less than 10K miles for under $3K. You can pick up Japanese cruisers even cheaper but that's always been the case.