Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #61
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Here is one of the pictures I took at Wheels Through Time. Just a few of the Knuckles that are there. The one on the top is a single cylinder Knuckle. One of their main claims is that all their bikes run. While I was there they started up an inline four and rode it through the place.

Don't know whats up with the photo. One minute it's there and the next it's gone. Added a link in case it doesn't work.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2wmje6v.jpg[/IMG]
That place is Teh Awezomz.

Deffo worth a stop-&-see. It's not just bikes, either. (the Harley-powered plane(s) is/are interesting)

I'll go back, next time I'm down there.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #62
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
I'm heavily inked and a jeans and t shirt kind of guy and only once in 35 years when stopped by a cop did I get any kind of attitude. Once he saw I was military that completely changed and he let me off with a warning rather than what would have been a huge speeding fine. I think it's now to the point that unless you're wearing a 1% patch they pretty much leave you alone. I can't count the number of clubs that I have run into over the years that are made up of members of law enforcement.

I get your point though.
Utah cops are usually quite professional and I've not been harassed since I moved here. I even got out of a speeding ticket once because of a Vietnam Vet sticker I had on the top box on my KZ750. However LA is a different story and after being harassed frequently back in the 70s I changed to a more conservative attire and the harassment ceased. Look what happened to Cuddy. The DA acted like he was a major menace to society for getting a wheelie ticket. I just look at it as a bit of extra insurance when I'm traveling.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #63
jamesd23
Registered Member

Default just go with it

well it is like with other things like foods that not all your friends will have the same interest with you. just ride what you want and you will be happy. i think this will most probably won't affect your relationship with any of your friends.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #64
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd23
well it is like with other things like foods that not all your friends will have the same interest with you. just ride what you want and you will be happy. i think this will most probably won't affect your relationship with any of your friends.

Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #65
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I don't get messed with too much in my 'stitch, Being built like a brick sh*t house and looking like a homicidal manic axe-murderer probably helps. Taking advantage of Washington States liberal open carry laws keeps the commandos quiet, and patch clubs all mind their own business and expect you to mind yours so I don't get hassled by anyone really if you get right down to it.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #66
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Ding ding ding!

Cops here have turned into belligerent, steroid-raged ASSHOLES! God help you if you do something they don't like...or worse still that somehow "defies" them. They seem to perceive the general population as the enemy rather than people they're here to protect.

I don't blame the young kids for running from them on their bikes.
I'm friends with some Broward & Dade county cops. We've all ridden together, and they're descent normal guys.

Over the past 15 yrs or so I've had a few run ins with S.FL. cops with no issues or resulting tickets ... Call it dumb luck if you want, but my opinion of them isn't bad, based on experience. Here's a good example:

July 3rd, 2011 on South Beach ... Traffic is horrible so I try to squeak past a SUV turning left and holding us up. Bike cops flag me down to pull over, and they've already got a sportbike pulled over too. A fair juxtaposition, right?

The sportbike rider was 19 yr old, not M licensed, not wearing a helmet and illegally painted his license plate with some sort of "Photoblocker" crap. Plus he had a 15 yr old girl without a helmet on the back. He was accused "prelude to speed" but denied wrong-doing even though the cops said they watched him break the law for almost a block before catching him.

Me looking like a "typical" Harley rider ... 34 yr old, licensed, wearing a helmet & bike with no illegal mods. When asked, I explained why I attempted to go around the SUV. Cop said its illegal to lane share, so I apologized. After a quick warrant check I was on my way ticket-free.

The sportbike kid would be lucky if they didn't impound the bike, but I don't know the end of his story because I left while the cops were still tryuing to sort out his story, and decide how many tickets to give him.

So much for "judging a book by its cover" theory ...

I'm not a poser or any other derogatory name previously posted by others. I work a normal 40 and must dress a certain way to maintain employment, but I like jeans and t-shirts, particularly Harley t-shirts. Much the same as some people like Armani, Prada, etc ... It's just a brand name.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #67
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus
The sportbike rider was 19 yr old, not M licensed, not wearing a helmet and illegally painted his license plate with some sort of "Photoblocker" crap. Plus he had a 15 yr old girl without a helmet on the back.

So much for "judging a book by its cover" theory ...
Sounds like they judged the Squid by HIS "cover" - and correctly, if all you relate panned-out.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #68
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Sounds like they judged the Squid by HIS "cover" - and correctly, if all you relate panned-out.
What's a Squid?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #69
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
What's a Squid?
You just described one.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #70
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
You just described one.

That's what so funny nowadays, the"outlaw bikers" by any definition are kids racing around on sportbikes doing 70 mph wheelies and triple digit lane carving down I-5, not some geezer like Seruzawa no matter what he's riding.

Maybe back when we were in our 20's being greasy long haired bikers and rattling around on patchwork-Patty choppers we were real bad-ass bikers, though I personally have no knowledge of nor know of any persons involved in any illegal activities from that time period for which the Statute of Limitations has not yet expired

I'm afraid that look (but not the lifestyle) got co-opted by rubs and catalog commandos a long time ago except for a few bonafide 1% clubs who around here are squeaky clean in appearance these days.

Now if you see some leathered up marauder on a $25k bike you have to figure he's some citizen out for his weekend roll playing session and as far from criminal activity as you can get. All fun and games of course and far be it from me to criticize but certainly no "outlaw" by any stretch..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote