Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Why the Harley haters? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18914-why-harley-haters.html)

seruzawa 07-12-2011 10:15 AM

Yads yada. Sportsters are "chick bikes". Don't insult women that way.

I've been so far away from the Harley community so long that I completely forgot about that idiocy. What does "chick bike" mean anyhow? My wife puts more miles on her scooter than most "motorcyclists" and she could probably hike 90% of HD owners into the ground. Probably 99% of RUBs.

Guess what? If you are concerned with what a buncha dollar patriots think than you are already a hopeless wuss. Buying a big twin is only compensation for your nonexistent self-respect and masculinity. You can't buy those. By "you" I mean in general, not the OP.

newagetwotone 07-12-2011 07:45 PM

Honestly, if I'm going to choose a retro bike I'd rather have a Duc GT1000 or a Triumph Scrambler....or really any of the classic line. Including the old T-bird sport.

Dr_Sprocket 07-13-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 262926)
Honestly, if I'm going to choose a retro bike I'd rather have a Duc GT1000 or a Triumph Scrambler....or really any of the classic line. Including the old T-bird sport.

Both are lookers, to be sure! I almost got the GT1000, but it was a little too small for me.

newagetwotone 07-13-2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 262928)
Both are lookers, to be sure! I almost got the GT1000, but it was a little too small for me.

How tall are you?!

Sir_Angus 07-13-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordosilver (Post 262863)
Ok, so I will be purchasing my first motorcycle this month. I've ridden quite a bit as a teenager, but now I have to fulfill this need to have my own bike. I am going through the basic safety class this week. Growing up in Chicago (45 mins south of Harley HQs, fyi), I never looked at any other bike but a Harley. Recently, I've made a lot of friends that ride and it seems that they are all "harley haters". They are trying to talk me into a sport bike, like a starter ninja or a FZ6R and such. And my sport bike friends hate everything Harley. Although I can appreciate those kinds of bikes, I just don't see it happening given that I always wanted a Harley. At the same time, the few friends that I have that are into Harleys, look down on Sportsters... which happens to be the bike I would like to ride. And one step further... God forbid I consider an 883... I like the Iron 883, but one of my buddies who has a 1200C laughs at it.

I just don't get it. I just want to ride. I'm sure this topic has been done before on this forum and I'm sure many others, but what gives? I need to start somewhere....

This forum is just chock-full of Harley haters too, as evident by most of the respondiong posts, but take the advice of the few wise ... Get whatever bike you want. If your friends can't get over there own petty opinions, then maybe its time to find a better group of friends.

V2Rider 07-13-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262933)
This forum is just chock-full of Harley haters too, as evident by most of the respondiong posts, but take the advice of the few wise ... Get whatever bike you want. If your friends can't get over there own petty opinions, then maybe its time to find a better group of friends.

I don't think it's filled with Harley haters as much as guys that don't like the attitudes of some of the people that ride them. Sounds to me that most of the guys here have had HD's somewhere along the line ( I still have two) but got tired of the wannabees and the posers. Every subset of motorcycling has it's knuckleheads.

sarnali2 07-13-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V2Rider (Post 262939)
I don't think it's filled with Harley haters as much as guys that don't like the attitudes of some of the people that ride them. Sounds to me that most of the guys here have had HD's somewhere along the line ( I still have two) but got tired of the wannabees and the posers. Every subset of motorcycling has it's knuckleheads.

I love Harley's, I've owned 7 of them over the years and almost everyone I ride with has one. I just like to try different bikes and not be stuck on one brand. I simply don't have time for a bunch of wannabe he-man bullsh*t and instant outlaws.

seruzawa 07-13-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V2Rider (Post 262939)

Sportsters are fun. Big Twins less so but I feel the same way about 700lb+ metric cruisers. I still plan to pick up a pre-2003 883 and do a 1250 conversion sometime in the next couple of years. As long as I can find one without the stupid skinny front wheel. What you won't ever see is me going on HOG rides or wearing a bandana or black leather in the summer. That's all just so old hat. I'm not qualified for that anyhow. I don't have an MBA or a DDS.

12er 07-13-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 262941)
I love Harley's, I've owned 7 of them over the years and almost everyone I ride with has one. I just like to try different bikes and not be stuck on one brand. I simply don't have time for a bunch of wannabe he-man bullsh*t and instant outlaws.

I dont know (looking over at avatar) I think your currently stuck on one brand. Not that there's anything wrong with that... Actually the perfect two bike stable IMO.

The_AirHawk 07-13-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262933)

'Zooki RULZ!!!!

Gixxer-Thou 4 Life!!!!!!!!!