Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Who gives a crap what your "friends" think. Get what you want.

And if you get the 883 just put 1200cc cylinders on it and shyt on your buddy's 1200c. You can pick up used Sportsters pretty cheap now. A friend of mine just picked up a 2003 with less than 10K miles for under $3K. You can pick up Japanese cruisers even cheaper but that's always been the case.
So an 883R with an XB12R engine? Hm...... Though i think the only HD i still really like is the XR1200.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
V2Rider
Premium Member

Where I'm at the 48's and the Iron Sportsters are all over the place. Get what you want and screw the guys that give you a hard time about it.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I had lots of friends getting sportbikes when we were younger, I got a cruiser. Now 15+ years later I'm the only one still riding. I always liked motorcycles but wasn't even aware the variety available. Get what suits you, regardless of what your friends have or who you think you may be riding with. Motorcycles are a posession, a hobby & a form of transportation be it commuting of leisure, regardless of what you chose it will not change who you are.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
So an 883R with an XB12R engine? Hm...... Though i think the only HD i still really like is the XR1200.
The 883 has a slightly lower overall drive ratio. Put on the 1200 cylinders (or 1250s) and it'll outperform the 1200. There are a lot of performance up grades for the Sporty and many of them aren't all that expensive.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I have both a sportbike and a cruiser. Sometimes I ride one, sometimes I ride the other.

Like others have said, ride what you want. However, the review of the Iron 883 is that the suspension is really harsh. Since it's a Harley, go to the dealer after you finish the course, and take a test ride to make sure it suits you.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Where I'm at the 48's and the Iron Sportsters are all over the place. Get what you want and screw the guys that give you a hard time about it.

Ditto pretty popular here too, specially for city bikes. The whole Sporty's are girls bikes think actually irritates the hell out of me, 99% of the people spouting that nonsense are wannabe punks and weekend warriors. In fact if you want to have some fun the next time someone asks you what you're doing on a girls bike ask them if they want to suck your ****ing **** and find out......

They'll fold like a house of cards every time.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Why were the sporsters pegged as a girls bike anyway? Was it the looks or because it was just small?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Why were the sporsters pegged as a girls bike anyway? Was it the looks or because it was just small?
I would say size and that HD marketed them to women. I've always thought that Sportsters were one of the best looking bikes out there. If there had been 48's when when I got my T100 I may have gone that way instead.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #19
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Yes, mostly because in the Harley lineup, the XLs are the smallest and lightest. So if your only choice is HD, it's what you buy.

That wasn't always true. The relegation of the Sportster to chick-bike status was a direct result of a bunch of ill-informed RUBs entering the market. In the 70's when I started riding, XLs were the bike to have. The big-twins were for Shriners, old guys, or hard-core bikers. The XLs were (comparatively) modern, fast, and won races everywhere from flat tracks to Daytona. They even made a great chopper; one that could haul serious ass and corner, when done right.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Yes, mostly because in the Harley lineup, the XLs are the smallest and lightest. So if your only choice is HD, it's what you buy.

That wasn't always true. The relegation of the Sportster to chick-bike status was a direct result of a bunch of ill-informed RUBs entering the market. In the 70's when I started riding, XLs were the bike to have. The big-twins were for Shriners, old guys, or hard-core bikers. The XLs were (comparatively) modern, fast, and won races everywhere from flat tracks to Daytona. They even made a great chopper; one that could haul serious ass and corner, when done right.

My '78 XLH was one of the funnest bikes I've owned and with cams and drag pipes ran like poop through a goose, not too many Harley's could keep up with it at the time.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote