Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
czsummy
Registered Member

Default help the new rider.

so in the future i plan to get a bike, i like sports bikes and cruisers, i'm doing it more for the economical value, but will probably fall in love with riding. I know don't get a sportsbike especially if it has lots of plastic. so i figure i'll still have an interest in street bikes in 2 years after i really know how to ride. but i want something that i wont grow out of too fast.

i am 6'3' 208lbs and have long legs, i sat on my dad's 1300 yamaha venture royale and felt kinda cramped.

so my question is what are taller bikes? my price range is up to 1500 and i've been looking at older bikes on craigslist, but came across this

these two are sportsbikes but they are naked

2000 Buell Blast

is this to small? are they reliable?

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/2448722669.html

or this one? to small?

older sportyish bike?

http://reading.craigslist.org/mcy/2439921726.html

cruiser

1980 Honda Motorcycle CM400T

to small/short?

so if you guys know what bikes are taller, i'd love to know but i want them cheap. its my first bike i know i wont be a great rider for awhile.

Last edited by czsummy : 06-23-2011 at 03:12 PM.
czsummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Please read all of the new rider sticky. It takes a while. And you can do a search of the forums. Basically, for tall riders, the recommended bike is usually a KLR 650 or another high seat height dual sport. You should also make sure to take the MSF Basic Rider Course. Decide what to get after you've taken the course. And buy used.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
czsummy
Registered Member

read that long sticky. i'm not one for a dual sport i'd rather stay away from them.

in general is a sport bike or cruiser better for taller people

and i didn't find a KLR 650 in my price range they seem to average 3000ish
Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Neither is good for a tall person, I'm 6'6 and ride a sport tourer or dual sport. You either have to take a yoga class or cut off your legs on either a cruiser or sportbike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
czsummy
Registered Member

a sport tourer. could you give a name of one to look up, i want to keep my feet. i feel bad for you man 6'6". my buddy is 6'8" and he rids a 600 katana, but is looking for a gsxr 750. i thought the katana looked small for me!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsummy View Post
and i didn't find a KLR 650 in my price range they seem to average 3000ish
I think you should spend some time sitting on a LOT of bikes, take a course and save up some more money because...............

In general, buying any bike over 250 CCs for only $1500 is an iffy situation.

There is no "in general" truth about what "type" of bike is best for YOU because each person is built a little differently and has a different idea of what is comfortable.

You can mount highway pegs or "forward controls" to stretch out on a cruiser but not so with most sport type bikes.

And the ultimate wisdon in choosing a first bike.....stolen from somebody else.....IS: This will be your first bike but likely not your last so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
czsummy
Registered Member

well, i've looked at a lot and i know i can get older 600cc+ bikes for that, easy. at least around here i can. but sitting on abunch of bikes is a good place to start, sadly there are very few places around me that sell used bikes. so that is my problem nor do i know many people with bikes.

i know my first bike wont be my last bike or nicest, thats why i only want to spend 1500.

does anyone know about that buell blast i put a link up to? are they good bikes? i was surprised at the price.

thank you all for your advice so far!

fyi i'm taking the Motorcycle safety course starting july 13th so maybe august when i'll be looking for a bike, or wait later in the seson to when prices come down a little for the winter
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Buy a Ninja 500 in the early 2000 range for $1800 or so and call it a day. Ride, drop it, break it for a year or so and then come back and ask what's next.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Have you sat on a Blast? They use them in the Harley Rider's Edge courses. It's about as small a bike as you can find. Which is why they use them.

With $1500 you're going to have to find an old bike and hope it's good enough (and safe enough) to ride. You're going to have to get awfully lucky, too. Maybe find a $1000 bike and hope $500 will fix it up enough to be serviceable.

Sport tourers are big and heavy. Not good for a first bike. And not easy at all to find for a small amount of money.

So, save more money. Then buy a decent used bike.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
czsummy
Registered Member

okay out of these ninjas, which do you think?

2002 Ninja 500

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/2442909059.html

1987 Kawasaki Ninja 500

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/2446746414.html

1995 Kawasaki Zx6e ninja