Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   help the new rider. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18826-help-new-rider.html)

czsummy 06-23-2011 07:27 PM

ive found plenty of older bikes, that are serviceable, and safe, for my price point. but as i got along i will put more money in the cycle fund. i personally don't think its worth spending too much on a first time bike, i'm not mechanically impaired, so small issues and maintenance i can do.

Easy Rider 2 06-24-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czsummy (Post 262091)
i know my first bike wont be my last bike or nicest, thats why i only want to spend 1500.

What a lot of new riders seem to lose sight of is that your initial purchase outlay is not going to be GONE.

If you get a decent bike and take good care of it, after a year or two, it likely will still be worth almost as much as you paid for it..........and you get that money back in a trade or sale.

A Star Ride 06-24-2011 05:25 AM

+1 to that. My first bike was a non running Honda Rebel 250 $400.00. After $3 to replace the cracked spark pulg end my biggest annoyance was a leaking fuel cap (paint was already faded & streaked), I make a gasket from a sheet of rubber & ran that beast for 2 years & got $800 on trade against an already reduced 95 model in 1996.

Sir_Angus 06-24-2011 06:45 AM

New rider "ifs"

1) If there's any multi-brand dealers reasonably close to you spend an hour or two there sitting on all the different styles of bikes.

2) If you feel up to the task, a salesman might even help you.

3) If aforementioned dealer is close try spending time there "hanging out" getting to know the salesman, parts guy and service techs. They can be a great resource when you're trying to find a cheap used bike.

12er 06-24-2011 10:03 AM

You seem to be forgetting the biggie in your budget, Gear! I ride with about $1500 worth of gear on. You see I know abrasions and broken bones well, and I don't like them. Bare minimum your looking at $400 - $500 on gear alone. That is unless your a huge risk taker and have excellent medical coverage and no family that cares about you.

Basic full face helmet - $120
Riding jacket - $180 - $400
Gloves - $40 - $1xx
Pants - $80 (draggon jeans) - $400
boots - $50 - $200

czsummy 06-24-2011 10:29 AM

i got the gear!, al of it and rain gear, my dad's been riding for 27 years so he knew what i needed, some is older so is newer but, i got it all! so i didn't forget it! but thank you, those were the first things i got even before my permit.

thank you guys i like the tips!.

do any of you know of and older dual sport that might be nicer for a taller guy? just wondering

Sir_Angus 06-24-2011 11:18 AM

I'm mandated to wear full protection if I ride to work, so here's my gear:

Outlaw 1/2 Helmet - $50
First Gear mesh jacket - $80
First Gear mesh gloves - $20
normal pants - $20-$30
normal engineer boots - $80

All said and done, I ride wearing maybe $260 worth of gear, but I also don't care about name brands just function and price. Before I get a flood "you must not want your face" because of the half helmet ... It's effing hot in Miami. I've got a full face but choose not to wear it. It's all about risk management.

12er 06-24-2011 12:39 PM

KLR's have been made since 85 I believe and only updated a few years back. So most of them are all the same, other than BNG (bold new graphics). You can find older honda xl's, Yamaha XT 350 and 600's and Suzuki Dl's. An older UJM (universal Japanese motorcycle) may fit you too. CB 350's, 500's, etc. I saw a clean older nighthawk almost in your price range the other day on Craigslist. The Ninja 500's are normally close to your range too. Most people dont go for them as the 250 is the main draw then on to a bigger ride. But the 250 is a bit small for the over 6' crowd.

12er 06-24-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262150)
I'm mandated to wear full protection if I ride to work, so here's my gear:

Outlaw 1/2 Helmet - $50
First Gear mesh jacket - $80
First Gear mesh gloves - $20
normal pants - $20-$30
normal engineer boots - $80

All said and done, I ride wearing maybe $260 worth of gear, but I also don't care about name brands just function and price. Before I get a flood "you must not want your face" because of the half helmet ... It's effing hot in Miami. I've got a full face but choose not to wear it. It's all about risk management.

So true on the risk management. Ive seen my knee caps and my jawbone before and never want to again. So if I'm going to wear something its going to be the best I can afford for comfort and protection. Hence my 'stich and Arai being my two big ticket items. Then my $99 lee parks deer tours, most awesome gloves ever IMO. Still more peace of mind than anything.

As for south florida, I dont know how you guys ride down there. I didnt even want to walk to the car most summer days in Ft L.

czsummy 06-24-2011 01:03 PM

i was told a nighthawk would probably be to small for me. but i did find an 80's 650cc nighthawk that i though maybe that would be big enough. my dad started on a cb 350, i just haven't found one near me yet. thank you! i was interested in the one 250 ninja.

the one thing i will get is a new helmet cause i have my dads old half face and i want a whole face. whats a good brand? i kinda want one with the aviator shades that slide down, cause from school i drive into the sun.:cool: