Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   CBR250 or Ninja250??? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18786-cbr250-ninja250.html)

tek4 06-16-2011 01:56 PM

CBR250 or Ninja250???
 
I recently completed Harley's "Riders Edge" course at the end of may and am now looking at getting a bike. For the time being i'm looking more at sport bikes. While i would ideally like a triumph daytona i know it is not going to happen. After flip flopping between reading posts on here and talking with people i haved decided to go with either a ninja 250 or the new cbr250.

what i'm asking here is for opinions of you all that have had experience with both/either bike.

some of the reviews i've read said that they can be a little uncomfy for taller people (I'm 6'3 and about 200lbs). For the rider course i took we were on Buell Blasts (if that helps at all).

If i go ninja i would like an 08 or newer just mainly because of the updated looks. if i go cbr250 then i realize i will have to get a new one seeing how i can't find any used ones right now. A few other things i have considered too (and please feel free to "put in my spot" with any of this). I like the digital speedo better on the cbr than the non-digital on the ninja. I like the way the exhaust looks on the ninja than the cbr, along with the mirrors.

I realize these are all cosmetic details and can probably be fixed once i own the bike.

One other thing i was wondering about was the carbureted ninja vs the fuel injected cbr. Thoughts on both carbureted and non? The bike would be my main mode of transportation. I live in NM so its sunny and dry 360 days of the year. from my understanding the carbureted bikes need time to warm up when its a little cooler out, true?

i think this is about it for now.

please don't hold anything back, if you think i'm being totally dumb let me know. I don't take offense to anything and i'm looking forward to hearing all your opinions

seruzawa 06-16-2011 02:01 PM

Ninja250s have been around forever and are a proven design and perform better than the weak-sister Hondas. There is also a lot of aftermarket support for the Ninja250. You don't have to pay the Honda-tax either. The Honda-tax is "higher price for less motorcycle".

acecycleins 06-16-2011 02:15 PM

Since you will undoudtedly drop your bike and break things may I suggest you spend only $1500-2000 and buy a used bike that won't have you cursing at your own mistakes.
If you must buy something newer- ask the service manager about the cost of maintaining the bikes over a 3 yr period averaging 5000 miles per year. The cheapest to maintain wins.

Kevin_Duke 06-16-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tek4 (Post 261732)
I recently completed Harley's "Riders Edge" course at the end of may and am now looking at getting a bike. For the time being i'm looking more at sport bikes. While i would ideally like a triumph daytona i know it is not going to happen. After flip flopping between reading posts on here and talking with people i haved decided to go with either a ninja 250 or the new cbr250.

what i'm asking here is for opinions of you all that have had experience with both/either bike.

some of the reviews i've read said that they can be a little uncomfy for taller people (I'm 6'3 and about 200lbs). For the rider course i took we were on Buell Blasts (if that helps at all).

If i go ninja i would like an 08 or newer just mainly because of the updated looks. if i go cbr250 then i realize i will have to get a new one seeing how i can't find any used ones right now. A few other things i have considered too (and please feel free to "put in my spot" with any of this). I like the digital speedo better on the cbr than the non-digital on the ninja. I like the way the exhaust looks on the ninja than the cbr, along with the mirrors.

I realize these are all cosmetic details and can probably be fixed once i own the bike.

One other thing i was wondering about was the carbureted ninja vs the fuel injected cbr. Thoughts on both carbureted and non? The bike would be my main mode of transportation. I live in NM so its sunny and dry 360 days of the year. from my understanding the carbureted bikes need time to warm up when its a little cooler out, true?

i think this is about it for now.

please don't hold anything back, if you think i'm being totally dumb let me know. I don't take offense to anything and i'm looking forward to hearing all your opinions

May I suggest reading these two articles?
http://www.motorcycle.com/rider-safe...cle-91053.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...out-90422.html

A Star Ride 06-16-2011 03:47 PM

I have not (yet) owned a FI bike, I do think it's an improvement, but carbs are not that bad, in cooler weather just start it as you jacket, boot & helmet & they are usually ready when you are.
Don't let cosmetics steer your decision, see what's comfortable. I tell people to look at the odometers on BMW's, wings, Connies, E-glides, etc & compare that to "prettier" (custom) bikes, see my point. There's a big difference between the people who enjoy having a motorcycle & those who enjoy riding one.
Take your time making your decision, and enjoy whatever you choose.

Morbo the Destroyer 06-17-2011 05:46 AM

I've ridden the Ninja; the Hondas are so new they're hard to find, let alone get a ride on.

Since it's your first bike, why not get an older Ninja that won't break your heart (and wallet) if you drop it? If you really get into motorcycling, you'll be looking to trade up in a year anyway, and if you buy new, you'll take a beating on depreciation. A used Ninja won't depreciate much at all in a year.

tek4 06-17-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 261742)

both great articles and i got some nice info out of them.

my one question to everyone would be, and reading about it in the second article, i'm a little worried with how i will fit on the bike seeing how i'm a little taller of a guy. i guess there really is only one option and that is to actually sit on them and see how it feels.

one more thing - the whole carb thing still has me wondering. I think i'm just imagining it to be a much more of an inconvenience than people make it seem. is it something i would get over afterall?

The_AirHawk 06-17-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tek4 (Post 261798)
both great articles and i got some nice info out of them.

my one question to everyone would be, and reading about it in the second article, i'm a little worried with how i will fit on the bike seeing how i'm a little taller of a guy. i guess there really is only one option and that is to actually sit on them and see how it feels.

one more thing - the whole carb thing still has me wondering. I think i'm just imagining it to be a much more of an inconvenience than people make it seem. is it something i would get over afterall?

Carbs were around a long damn time before EFI, on motos. Carbs also were around on motos for a long damn time after autos adopted EFI - so the typical '80s and later CV Carb is quite refined (for such a crude device). Earlier moto-FI (say, from the late '90s/early '00s) leaves a little to be desired, itself - the technology is still quite adolescent today, comparatively.

The only real thing that "goes wrong" with a moto CV Carb, is neglect. Storage of the bike lets the gas age, oxidize and dry-up; which tends to plug the idle-jets and emulsion-air-bleed holes internal to the carb. Once running again, the bleeds will (for the most part) clean themselves once good gas has had a chance to solventize the crud. But, the idle jet holes tend to become plugged, Terminally. Without removal and disassembly of the carb(s) and unplugging of these jets "manually", will never "be clean" as fuel/cleaner is unable to penetrate the plug, and does not flow through them on a Choked start.

So, the BEST way is to not allow them to get plugged in the first place - by ALWAYS storing the bike (if you HAVE to store it short-term, such as Winter) with at a minimum fuel-stabilizer (i.e. Sta-Bil) in the fuel (including being run-through the carbs enough to have treated fuel inside them), or emptying the bike (or minimum, the carbs) of fuel before storage.

Long-term storage involves other tasks, I'll not detail here and now, as that's beyond the scope of this little diatribe.

The long and short of it is; once you know the operation and proper care-and-feeding of your particular motorcycle, you'll not notice, nor will you care if it has EFI or CV Carbs. It will just "work".

tek4 06-17-2011 03:21 PM

so basically its nothing to worry about and i would just have to deal with the carb when starting the bike (all other things taken into consideration and the carb and such was clean from the get go)?

The_AirHawk 06-17-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tek4 (Post 261801)
so basically its nothing to worry about and i would just have to deal with the carb when starting the bike (all other things taken into consideration and the carb and such was clean from the get go)?

Keep clean fuel in it, change the oil and other fluids regularly, ride the motorcycle, be happy.

Teh Editz:
And, as with all my nuggets of Wisdom, imagine a Fatherly Osama BinLaden-typee-figure dispensing this free advice.....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM.