Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek4 View Post
thanks so much for the help!! I actually sort of like the way the SV looks, the whole naked look.

last night while going to sleep i stumbled across this 250

Street Bike

it seems like a really good deal. I'm just a little worried about it not running for a couple years. Do you think it would need more than just a tune up and battery like he is saying?? The price is almost too good not to jump on it.
Looks like a good deal. If it sort of runs and the engine doesn't make any funny knocking sounds, it's probably worth it. Does it run?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
tek4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
A bump start will tell you quickly.

would a bump start work even with the battery sitting dead for probably a year or so?
tek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
tek4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Looks like a good deal. If it sort of runs and the engine doesn't make any funny knocking sounds, it's probably worth it. Does it run?
i don't know if runs or not. i haven't got a chance to check it out. the seller is about half hour away from and i'm stuck in the office all day until 5

i did put in a call to the seller asking him if it ran. waiting on reply
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
would a bump start work even with the battery sitting dead for probably a year or so?
It probably would start, but not necessarily.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #25
tek4
Registered Member

some other things i have started to think about:

do i need to worry about seals cracking/breaking or leaks?

anything with the gas tank?

my guess is that it has been in storage (the seller is selling because they don't have the storage space for it now). so i'm thinkin it wasn't out in the elements.

again, these are all questions i have asked an am waiting to hear back on.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
some other things i have started to think about:

do i need to worry about seals cracking/breaking or leaks?

anything with the gas tank?

my guess is that it has been in storage (the seller is selling because they don't have the storage space for it now). so i'm thinkin it wasn't out in the elements.

again, these are all questions i have asked an am waiting to hear back on.
You shouldn't have to worry about rubber seals on a 2008 bike that was stored indoors.

Fuel could be an issue unless the owner mixed in some fuel stabilizer. And if he didn't drain the carbs when it was stored, the fuel inside will have evaporated and left gunk that might need cleaning.

I'd recommend telling the seller to put it on a battery charger before looking at it, then bringing the most mechanically inclined friend you know to check it out with you. It may be that it runs fine with a freshly charged battery.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Git yousef a big Hawley Hog. Jes don't let it fall over.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #28
Captain Steve
Registered Member

A beginner's bike's job is to behave itself and inspire confidence as you grow into your riding skills. This is why a race replica is such a bad choice for a beginner, their entire purpose is to go "rawr!" when you twist the throttle. It's like giving a 16 year old kid a twin turbo 1200hp dodge viper to take their driver's test on. One popped clutch and it's all over.

Back in the early 90s when I was your size, my first bike was a Kawasaki EX500, basically a ninja 500. It was really too small for me. If I had had a clue back then, I could probably have found a way to make it fit better, but I was a total noob, surrounded by squids with 600cc RR type bikes.

Ergonomics aside, the EX500 was freaking FAST! That dang thing would do 120mph(indicated) on the highway. The thing is, you had to flog it to get it to go, running way, way up at the top of it's band where the power came on. Down low it behaved itself.

Oh, and I dropped it a couple times. One time in a parking lot while falling asleep on it with it up on the center stand (I was too dumb to realize that a 600 mile trip might be a bit much on a EX500 in one day) and another on a wet road at about 15 mph. (I was too dumb to know that rail-road tracks crossing the road at a 45 = the devil)

The fairing took a beating each time and I ended up having to get a fiberglass replacement.... because I wasn't shelling out what they wanted for a brand new plastic fairing at the dealership.

I LOVED that bike. Back pain, wrist pain, wrecks, whatever.. I was in my early 20s and I had a bike!

If I knew then what I know now though, I would have gotten something more like the SV650. The ergonomics would have been fantastic. I could put more than a tank bag on it! (No more Navy Sea Bag full of stuff for the 600 mile Norfolk-Boston weekend trip!)

I think you'd be fine with the SV650 since you've taken a motorcycle safety course. You're also here where you can get the benefit of some mature judgement. As long as you remember that the true test of a rider's skill is how SLOW they can go, you'll be fine.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote