Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek4 View Post
both great articles and i got some nice info out of them.

my one question to everyone would be, and reading about it in the second article, i'm a little worried with how i will fit on the bike seeing how i'm a little taller of a guy. i guess there really is only one option and that is to actually sit on them and see how it feels.

one more thing - the whole carb thing still has me wondering. I think i'm just imagining it to be a much more of an inconvenience than people make it seem. is it something i would get over afterall?
Glad you found them helpful, Tek! These bikes have a fairly open ergonomic layout, so you might fit okay on them. Although, at 6'3", you will make the bike look small. You need to try them on for size. If they feel too small, try on a dual-sport bike. Kawi, Yamaha and Honda sell 230-250cc enduros. If you don't think you'll ever venture off the pavement, each also builds a street-only supermoto version.

I wouldn't worry about the carb vs EFI thing, although I'd strongly recommend a jet kit if you got a Ninja 250. They are set up to run really lean to pass emissions regs, so they're slow to warm and have a low-end bog.

Let us know how your bike hunt goes!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

I am new to bikes myself. Everybody I asked in person and on forums - everybody suggested to go with 250cc. Well, I listened. I own 2011 ninja 250r now. In my honest opinion as an actual owner I can say - this bike is the best from what I tried under 250 (street and cruisers).

However, after putting 800 km on it, I already am thinking to trade her up for bigger engine kawi. I ride highway mostly and go for long rides with a group. I find it underpowered and really uncomfortable for more than an hour ride. Now, keep in mind that I am 5'4" 120lb female and I think that even for me the bike is small.

I would definitely take Kevin_Duke's advice re dual-sports. If you cannot get the bike for a test ride, at least go to the dealerships, put your gear on and try to sit on the bike you like for 10-15 minutes (the best if you can test ride it, obviously). Now imagine riding in this position for an hour or two when it's 60 clicks side wind or raining or pavement is very uneven and it kicks your sit to your spine. If you think that the bike feels comfortable for all that for you - than may be you found a winner.

Daytona definitely not a beginner bike (love love love the new white and red 675R - may be my next bike, lol) but 600cc bike (not a supersport version!) may be a better choice for you than a little (and don't get me wrong - great bike) ninja.

Last edited by GunsForBarbie : 06-17-2011 at 05:25 PM.
GunsForBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
tek4
Registered Member

status update: I'm still looking for a bike. While i am still looking at the 250r's i have also come across a sv650.

Is this going to be too much of a bike for me to start out on? After searching through the forums and reading stuff online, it seems like its up in the air. Some say yes, some say no.

one of the reason i started looking at them was A) i found this one for sale near me 1999 Suzuki SV 650 standard B) i have a serious itch for one.

should i just wait until i find "THE" bike?

again, thanks for all the advice
tek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

The SV can be used to start on if you have control of yourself. You can search youtube for several people who didnt...

The 500 ninja is another option for someone of your size. Check the KLR650, suzuki dr 650, 400sm etc for dual sport options as they are good for the tall, mellow on power and ok if you drop them and can be picked up used frequently. The SV is a fabulous bike and with throttle control can be used to learn on.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

A customer/buddy just picked up a CBR for himself. 35yrs riding and he just pulled this idea out of mid-air. Says the thing is a damn hoot. He lives near Murphy, NC and says it's one of the coolest investments he ever made and he's picking up a tiger 800xc next Thurs. So, guess it's a cool bike.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek4 View Post
status update: I'm still looking for a bike. While i am still looking at the 250r's i have also come across a sv650.

Is this going to be too much of a bike for me to start out on? After searching through the forums and reading stuff online, it seems like its up in the air. Some say yes, some say no.

one of the reason i started looking at them was A) i found this one for sale near me 1999 Suzuki SV 650 standard B) i have a serious itch for one.

should i just wait until i find "THE" bike?

again, thanks for all the advice
The SV is one of my fave bikes of all time. It can be a decent beginner bike as long as its rider has a mature respect for motorcycles. The power of its engine is substantial, but you should be fine as long as you don't get carried away with using large amounts of throttle until you spend some time learning how it reacts.

An important tip for any rider: The throttle works in BOTH directions! Don't get carried away with it, and you should be fine on the SV.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

As a "beginner bike" the SV650 has more power than any motorcycle available when I started riding in 1964. The brakes are much better too. However, and I know some people will bitterly argue against this, in practical terms 70hp isn't all that different from 100 hp. 70hp will get you up to 100 pretty damm quick and kill you off just as easily as a more potent sportbike. The SV has a smooth power band and is easier to ride, but if you don't respect it and practice serious restraint you will be dead or paraplegic mos rikitik.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
tek4
Registered Member

thanks so much for the help!! I actually sort of like the way the SV looks, the whole naked look.

last night while going to sleep i stumbled across this 250

Street Bike

it seems like a really good deal. I'm just a little worried about it not running for a couple years. Do you think it would need more than just a tune up and battery like he is saying?? The price is almost too good not to jump on it.
tek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
12er
Founding Member

A bump start will tell you quickly.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote