Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Saw an old guy crash the other day... (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18630-saw-old-guy-crash-other-day.html)

trenttheuncatchable 06-25-2011 06:26 PM

I wear full gear, whether I'm on my sport bike or my cruiser. If I fall or get thrown off my bike, it doesn't much matter which bike I happen to be riding at the time. So for me it's common sense to ride the way I do. My cruiser also isn't the biggest and most powerful, but it has plenty of oomph for me, and if I drop it there's less weight for me to pick up.

I actually had to pick it up this last Tuesday when I was at my gf's and an F1 tornado blew through her neighborhood and tossed my bike on its side. Bent the throttle bar end, scratched the exhaust a little and the right side engine guard quite a bit. But that's what it's for. I was able to ride the bike home, and it was a nice bonding experience, too. (It's good to be able to trust your bike.)

Sir_Angus 06-27-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 262180)
Feeling the need to dress up in a costume to look like something you are not is also childish.

There are so many examples of this that no one is innocent of dressing outside of their norms; especially when it come to the younger generations that seem to celebrate "flossing" or whatever the current term is nowadays for dressing well above their standard of living. There's also a difference between dressing for the occasion and a costume. Wearing jeans & a t-shirt is hardly a costume, as opposed to replica race gear with fake sponsor patches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 262180)
You are pretending to be just like them after all with your ... and patch covered vest.

The wearing of patches came from military vets carrying on a tradition they learned while serving this country. There's nothing inherently evil or outlaw about it. Whatever the person wearing the clothes does is on them. You don't blame the gun for murder; you blame the person that pulled the trigger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 262185)
But I also think lack of safety gear, loud pipes and parking on wheelchair ramps is 2 quick steps in the opposite direction.

I agree with 2 of the 3 ... But what's worse: loud pipes or doing twice the speed limit weaving haphazardly thru traffic? I see far more sport bike riders doing the latter. If someone wants to waste their own life so be it, but when their carelessness endangers me & mine that's when I take issue.

Et al.

My point throughout this entire thread is that for every stereotype posted against a "typical Harley rider" I could easily retaliate with one about "typical sport bike riders", but instead I simply proposed that you judge the rider as an individual on the content of their character and their actions, not on their clothes.

Prejudice and discrimination are negative manifestations, and instead of bringing or holding people together, they push them apart. Ironically, you claim to be a motorcycle enthusiast meanwhile your own negative manifestions are widening the divide between the different groups. While the Ralph Nader’s of the world work to strip us of our rights, you’ve helped weaken the consolidation of force we’ll have to defend ourselves as free motorcyclists.

Easy Rider 2 06-27-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262229)
I simply proposed that you judge the rider as an individual on the content of their character and their actions, not on their clothes.

Prejudice and discrimination are negative manifestations,

But the way one chooses to present yourself to the world SAYS a lot about your character.

If one chooses a "costume" that emulates an outlaw that is quite different than choosing one that emulates a motorcycle racer.

You think that dressing like an outlaw biker is NOT a negative manifestation ??

Stereotypes are often true, whether you like it or not.

If you choose to present a negative image, you should be prepared to deal with the totally predictable results.

You are absolutely free to: Dress like a bum, never shave or take a shower, have patches with "bad ass" sayings on them, have loud pipes and more "ink" showing than skin or clothes...........but don't expect people who don't already know you to welcome you with open arms.
It ain't gonna happen..........and to argue about it just further shows that you don't get it.

Sir_Angus 06-27-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 262234)
You are absolutely free to: Dress like a bum, never shave or take a shower, have patches with "bad ass" sayings on them, have loud pipes and more "ink" showing than skin or clothes.

I don't know what part of the world you live in, but clearly there's bigger socio-economic problems going on there than what kind of bike you ride.

But you're right on one point: It's obvious that any attempt to have a conversation with the vast majority posting here for the purpose of opening and/or enlightening your mind is pointless.

Easy Rider 2 06-27-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262236)
I don't know what part of the world you live in,

for the purpose of opening and/or enlightening your mind is pointless.

Right now, I'm about 200 miles north of you.

And you are right about that second part, although the wording is off a bit. Pounding on your own warped, undefendable prejudices over and over won't make the rest of us come around to your "enlightened" point of view.

It is an OPINION. You are in the minority, maybe for good reason.
Get over it.

A Star Ride 06-27-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262229)
I agree with 2 of the 3 ... But what's worse: loud pipes or doing twice the speed limit weaving haphazardly thru traffic? I see far more sport bike riders doing the latter. If someone wants to waste their own life so be it, but when their carelessness endangers me & mine that's when I take issue.

Et al.

My point throughout this entire thread is that for every stereotype posted against a "typical Harley rider" I could easily retaliate with one about "typical sport bike riders", but instead I simply proposed that you judge the rider as an individual on the content of their character and their actions, not on their clothes.

Prejudice and discrimination are negative manifestations, and instead of bringing or holding people together, they push them apart. Ironically, you claim to be a motorcycle enthusiast meanwhile your own negative manifestions are widening the divide between the different groups. While the Ralph Nader’s of the world work to strip us of our rights, you’ve helped weaken the consolidation of force we’ll have to defend ourselves as free motorcyclists.

There are Sportbikes in my area, but far more cruisers, equally likely to be found in bar parking lots as on the parkways. I think, (in my area at least) the cruiser crowd, myself included, is frowned upon as being rude, loud, disrespectful & careless. Yeah we see sportbikes weaving through traffic often, but also a bagger or bobber doing the same thing, maybe at a lower speed, but equally dangerous considering the ride. I am comfortable approaching anyone anywhere & striking a conversation about a good day to ride, or "where yall from", "nice bike", etc. I find, even knowing bikes & often being on mine that the patched up stereotypical-looking ones, often times will be rude, or short with me. It don't deter me cause I'm a nice guy, but I can usually predict their reaction, but am sometimes suprised.
My riding club members have been critical of me in the past for not wearing the clubs patch, etc. I enjoy my club functions, good friends there, but don't want to look like most of them.
I am not dividing motorcyclists into groups, we are in groups just like baptists & catholics, Hatfields & McCoys. The divisions of these groups vary widely by each individual & their own preceptions of our hobby (note I did not say lifestyle). To the uninitiated they can't tell a CBR from a Wing, then they will separate plastic bikes from metal bikes, then sportbikes from cruisers from the others (meaning nakeds, adventure tourers, dual sports & dirtbikes), then there's the rest of us, and I'll assume most of the regulars on here, separate by brand, style & yes, even draw an opinion of the person by their choice of gear. To me there's a big difference between a full yellow lid & a flat black bowl. Yes, seeing the helmet I can draw an image of who is gonna walk out of the store.

Sorry, rant over, I hope it was legable.

Sir_Angus 06-27-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 262244)
Pounding on your own warped, undefendable prejudices over and over won't make the rest of us come around to your "enlightened" point of view.

I never presented any "undefendable prejudices" nor "pounded" any "warped" point of view. That is unless you consider defending the individuals right to free expression and the inalienable rights granted to all US citizens by the Constitution as warped and undefendable. This much I guaranty, you won't find a single quote from me to support your statement above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 262244)
It is an OPINION. You are in the minority, maybe for good reason. Get over it.

You're right, it is my opinion, and a concept in which I keep good company (i.e. MLK, Jr., Ghandi, most of the Founding Fathers, etc...) I'm happily in the minority on this forum, in this instance.

For all those that have supported the prejudice and discriminatory comments made here by others; think about what you all agree is a "good thing."

1) Judging someone based solely on their looks is ok.
2) Treating that "different looking" person substandard to how you'd treat anyone else is ok.
3) Defending the aforementioned actions because that person brought it upon themselves for looking differently is ok.

These are the same merits used to justify every atrocity against mankind from slavery to the holocaust.

This particular argument may be to a lesser degree but the concepts are the same.

Easy Rider 2 06-27-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262255)

For all those that have supported the prejudice and discriminatory comments made here by others; think about what you all agree is a "good thing."


3) Defending the aforementioned actions because that person brought it upon themselves for looking differently is ok.

These are the same merits used to justify every atrocity against mankind from slavery to the holocaust.

I don't mis-treat those who choose to emulate outlaws, I just exercise MY freedom of association and don't "treat" them at all. It is a good thing that I have the freedom to associate (or not) with whomever I please.

Nobody chooses to become black or (ethnic) Jewish.

By the same token, nobody is born looking like an unkept bum or a biker outlaw.
They absolutely CHOOSE that look and should be prepared to take whatever negative reaction goes along with it.

There is a VAST difference. If you don't see that then you are lacking something.

newagetwotone 06-27-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 262229)
There are so many examples of this that no one is innocent of dressing outside of their norms; especially when it come to the younger generations that seem to celebrate "flossing" or whatever the current term is nowadays for dressing well above their standard of living. There's also a difference between dressing for the occasion and a costume. Wearing jeans & a t-shirt is hardly a costume, as opposed to replica race gear with fake sponsor patches.



The wearing of patches came from military vets carrying on a tradition they learned while serving this country. There's nothing inherently evil or outlaw about it. Whatever the person wearing the clothes does is on them. You don't blame the gun for murder; you blame the person that pulled the trigger.



I agree with 2 of the 3 ... But what's worse: loud pipes or doing twice the speed limit weaving haphazardly thru traffic? I see far more sport bike riders doing the latter. If someone wants to waste their own life so be it, but when their carelessness endangers me & mine that's when I take issue.

Et al.

My point throughout this entire thread is that for every stereotype posted against a "typical Harley rider" I could easily retaliate with one about "typical sport bike riders", but instead I simply proposed that you judge the rider as an individual on the content of their character and their actions, not on their clothes.

Prejudice and discrimination are negative manifestations, and instead of bringing or holding people together, they push them apart. Ironically, you claim to be a motorcycle enthusiast meanwhile your own negative manifestions are widening the divide between the different groups. While the Ralph Nader’s of the world work to strip us of our rights, you’ve helped weaken the consolidation of force we’ll have to defend ourselves as free motorcyclists.



You're an idiot(either that or a troll.) Get out of high school and learn something about the world and maybe you will drop this random idealistic crap.

If you are going to dress and act like something stop being pissed when people assume you are. If you can wrap your head around what i said you shouldn't be attempting to even make opinion.

12er 06-27-2011 05:00 PM

"Your not going out of this house looking like a Wh0re young lady!"

"I am not a wh0re!"

"Well you have a wh0re's uniform on."


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 PM.