Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #41
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Hypocrite has an 'e' at the end. Chill, dude.
I'm sure you'll find many typographical errors throughout these forums; so how about we stay focused on the content, okay?

And I will not "chill" when someone calls me to the carpet like that. If a person is allowed to poison open media with lies, then the rest of us have a duty to present the truth. I've posted this quote previously and it remains as true today as ever, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Feel free to "chill, dude" and do nothing.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #42
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You use incendiary language way too easily. And your use of standard quotes is not impressive. You wrap yourself in them, kinda like your avatar wraps himself in the flag.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
You use incendiary language way too easily.
Your opinion.

Quote:
And your use of standard quotes is not impressive. You wrap yourself in them, kinda like your avatar wraps himself in the flag.
What you call standard quotes are only common knowledge because they've remained true throughout time, and when I choose to use them it's not to wow you into thinking I'm some great literary expert. They are used to help make a point.

I've choosen to stand in defense of this country and it's founding ideology, and I'll defend it ferociously if necessary. Sorry I can't always be as quip and cavalier as you appear to be. Nor share your delicate sensibilities.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #44
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
Talk about an "unsupportable assumption" ... Using the way someone dresses as justification for your prejudice is childish.
Feeling the need to dress up in a costume to look like something you are not is also childish.

If you decide to dress like a bunch of drug running outlaw bikers then do not be surprised when people treat you like it. You are pretending to be just like them after all with your leather do-rag, brain bucket helmet and patch covered vest.

If you choose to emulate a culture then it is no ones fault but your own when it is assumed you are part of that culture. Instead people could learn to grow up and be themselves, rather than jamming themselves into a mold that they don't belong.

But of course that can't happen because most people are so unhappy with their work a day lives that they have to pretend to be someone else so they can forget that they sit behind a desk and push papers or work at Office Max as a sales clerk. Because its so terrible and shameful that we have jobs like that... we HAVE to look like someone else or we're not good enough!

This is the type of attitude that causes many problems in the world and this type of self image problem is something that people should have grown out of in high school. But they have to assume the identity of bad ass bikers.... but don't want to be judged that way.

I bet if those "Bad ass" Harley guys were wearing proper gear and not just tshirts and leather vests no one would have thought twice about them being "bikers" but those type of guys are just dressed they way they are to look "Cool" and to fit into a mold. The fault of the appearance is theirs, no one else shoved them into what they were wearing.

On top of that most guys that I've met like the wanna-be hells angels also ride Harleys to "fit in" and have never ridden anything else... but man they will tell you how their HD bike is better than annnnyyyy thing else.

TL: DR people like that choose to emulate a dangerous, outlaw culture and are upset that people judge them by their appearance. QQ

Last edited by newagetwotone : 06-25-2011 at 06:14 AM.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #45
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I agree with most of what you said. I'm not a "biker", I am a "motorcycle enthusiast". I have said that for years & often asked "what's the difference", well if people ask, they are truly oblivious, or they are suprised there is someone out there that has a bike for the sheer pleasure of riding it, rather then trying to transform themselves to an alter ego.
I know many who ride & ride on & off with different groups of friends & clubs, but nothing really longstanding with anyone or any group. Some people in my riding club have not ever made it to a riding function (to my knowledge), but make it to every social event we host (poker night, pool tournaments, car washes, bingo with the vets). Aside of club meetings, I have only attended 2 socials, and we have more turnout for them then we do for planed rides in the best of weather.
I can't help but come to the conclusion that the majority of the bike owning popluation expect their ownership of a bike introduces them to a social network that they want to be associated with, but they really don't care to ride. I don't care what people have, or how clean it is, if it's stock or not, what they do for a living or what clubs they are associated with. If you like to ride & do it sober & safely, I'll join for the afternoon.
I'm not bashing my club or it's local leadership, these are issues I'm sure with any club in any town. I am glad my club does charity functions & public services and I think (hope) it is a small step in the direction of improving the overall image of motorcyclists everywhere. But I also think lack of safety gear, loud pipes and parking on wheelchair ramps is 2 quick steps in the opposite direction.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #46
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Feeling the need to dress up in a costume to look like something you are not is also childish.

If you decide to dress like a bunch of drug running outlaw bikers then do not be surprised when people treat you like it. You are pretending to be just like them after all with your leather do-rag, brain bucket helmet and patch covered vest.

If you choose to emulate a culture then it is no ones fault but your own when it is assumed you are part of that culture. Instead people could learn to grow up and be themselves, rather than jamming themselves into a mold that they don't belong.

But of course that can't happen because most people are so unhappy with their work a day lives that they have to pretend to be someone else so they can forget that they sit behind a desk and push papers or work at Office Max as a sales clerk. Because its so terrible and shameful that we have jobs like that... we HAVE to look like someone else or we're not good enough!

This is the type of attitude that causes many problems in the world and this type of self image problem is something that people should have grown out of in high school. But they have to assume the identity of bad ass bikers.... but don't want to be judged that way.

I bet if those "Bad ass" Harley guys were wearing proper gear and not just tshirts and leather vests no one would have thought twice about them being "bikers" but those type of guys are just dressed they way they are to look "Cool" and to fit into a mold. The fault of the appearance is theirs, no one else shoved them into what they were wearing.

On top of that most guys that I've met like the wanna-be hells angels also ride Harleys to "fit in" and have never ridden anything else... but man they will tell you how their HD bike is better than annnnyyyy thing else.

TL: DR people like that choose to emulate a dangerous, outlaw culture and are upset that people judge them by their appearance. QQ
Wow! Words of wisdom from such a young guy. Excellent post, NATT!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #47
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Wow! Words of wisdom from such a young guy. Excellent post, NATT!

Ditto, very well said NATT, I'm impressed....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #48
newagetwotone
Registered Member

I aim to please.

I have a couple of huge issues in general with people, one of them is the rant i just spewed forth. I thought i was done with cliques when I got out of high school. I never assumed 45 year old half bald men would have to have their own little social groups too....

and I occasionally post on message boards before getting wasted >_>

Last edited by newagetwotone : 06-25-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #49
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariajekson View Post
More like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariajekson View Post
get a life now, stripper blog, cheap hooker treatments
herp a derp
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #50
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I have no time for dress-up bad-assery myself. I wear my Hi Viz 'stitch whether or not I'm riding Harley's or Triumph or my current BMW's. I have three leather coats, a pair of armored leather pants and various other textile suits, however the 'stitch is the most comfortable, best armored and definitely the most visible so that's what I wear.

When I go on group rides it's with my bud's in a combat veterans association that gracefully allows me to ride along as an associate. Pseudo tough guy sh*t doesn't fly when the guy you're with is a Bronze Star winner or flew medevac missions in Vietnam or did a couple of combat tours in an Afghan FOB

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 06-25-2011 at 05:37 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote