Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
ronery
Registered Member

Default Gear to buy before Safety Course

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for quite some time and have learned a lot of useful information, so thank you all for that.

I've got my Class M permit and I just signed up for a Motorcycle Safety Course in Pennsylvania.

My question is this: Should I purchase a real riding jacket and a pair of riding gloves before I take the course? I've got a good pair of boots, and I plan on using one of their helmets until I have enough money for my own. (Of course, I will not be riding without a helmet)

My apologies if this question was answered somewhere and I missed it.
ronery is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

MSF Beginning Rider Courses usually just require a long-sleeved shirt or jacket, not an actual riding jacket.

A few people take the course and find out they are not cut out for riding. So until you actually complete the course, I would hold off on buying an actual riding jacket.

And you don't need special motorcycle gloves either. But gloves are less expensive than jackets, and some of the riding gloves can actually be worn for daily use.

So my answer is to make do with what you have, and then buy your gear after you finish the course.

You could also call them and ask what they recommend.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
ronery
Registered Member

That's what I figured.

Thanks
ronery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Are you planning to buy a bike and ride it, or are you taking the class to see if you like it?

If you know you're getting a bike, why not start right?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Squid Killer
Registered Member

Ive been teaching the MSF for over 15 years and riders wearing the following have a better experience during class...

Thin, dirtbike gloves
Sunglasses that will slide into an open face or full face helmet
Thin toed boots with very low heels
Short sleeve shirt with unbuttoned long sleeve shirt over that that can be removed during breaks

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Ride naked! You're already wearing leather and its self-repairing.

Work gloves, throw-away sunglasses, long-sleeve shirt, jeans & rubber soled boots.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

What Squid Killer said, most requirements are over ankle shoes, long pants, sleeves and gloves. Start saving now so when your ready you can buy but hold out till after your class. Unless your riding with your permit already, then gear up. But its a big expense if its not your thing. Buying gear in itself is a journey as we often go through several expensive jackets / suit combos until we get what we really like. I recommend skipping right to an Aerstich suit and being done with it, but at $800 most cant see buying that first, or ever.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Cover yourself in melted butter and bring a bag of lemons. Start the class by screaming "There's a lobster loose! THERE'S A LOBSTER LOOSE! RUN!!!! Throw lemons at everyone else as you scream.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Cover yourself in melted butter and bring a bag of lemons. Start the class by screaming "There's a lobster loose! THERE'S A LOBSTER LOOSE! RUN!!!! Throw lemons at everyone else as you scream.
I don't care who you are ... Now that's funny!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Squid Killer
Registered Member

Im not sure how I would react to someone running through class yelling about lobsters and throwing lemons. I might have to hire that person to start all my classes like that. Also, I would try to catch some lemons for my ice tea.

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote