Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
Starter
Registered Member

I will admit i did ask the wrong question and I purposefully did so. I did try to cover it up. Now can we get over this fact? about the insurance i don't think it is legal in new york state to have a road going vehicle without atleast liability, and the funny thing is alot of kids at my school have bikes theres one 08 zx6r and an 06 cbr600rr too not many little bikes.
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You should talk to them and find out what type (if any) insurance they have on their bikes. And what it's costing them.

However, if one of them tries to talk you into getting a bike like theirs as your first bike, if you value your life and limbs (and I mean that literally) do *not* follow their advice. Even if they think you're a <insert derogatory term here>.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #23
Starter
Registered Member

hmm maybe i should ask my math teacher then. he rides a harley sportster so insurance might be different but its worth a quick talk.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
hmm maybe i should ask my math teacher then. he rides a harley sportster so insurance might be different but its worth a quick talk.
Insurance for Harleys is cheap. They figure anything that slow isn't going to get in too much trouble.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
pushrod
Founding Member

Starter, the best way to determine what your insurance will cost is to call a couple 'reputable' companies. Avoid 'AAAAA Jake's Cheep Insurance'.

Go in with a 2009 Ninja 250 and a (whatever year) SV-650S, and a 2009 Sportster. Don't tell them what coverage you think you are required to have. Get a couple different quotes, and listen to what the agents tell you.

Then you can determine what you need, what you want, and what you can afford.

And, +1 on buying a good pre-owned small bike.

Last; don't be surprised when the kids on the crotch-rockets toss their bikes into the woods.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
I will admit i did ask the wrong question and I purposefully did so. I did try to cover it up. Now can we get over this fact?
Absolutely. Good resolution.
Group hug ??
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #27
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
I choose the latter.
That probably IS the best way to start out.....when you actually have some personal contact to build on. But it doesn't always work.
Sometimes you need to be more direct........but that doesn't always work either. Some of us tend to be too direct at times.

I just don't think that gross breaches of good manners should be totally overlooked as though it didn't happen. Too many seem to think that's the proper way to handle it and that almost NEVER works.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #28
Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Starter, the best way to determine what your insurance will cost is to call a couple 'reputable' companies. Avoid 'AAAAA Jake's Cheep Insurance'.

Go in with a 2009 Ninja 250 and a (whatever year) SV-650S, and a 2009 Sportster. Don't tell them what coverage you think you are required to have. Get a couple different quotes, and listen to what the agents tell you.

Then you can determine what you need, what you want, and what you can afford.

And, +1 on buying a good pre-owned small bike.

Last; don't be surprised when the kids on the crotch-rockets toss their bikes into the woods.
That is why I really like the sv the horsepower numbers aren't nearly as insane and the redline isn't at 16,000 rpm. But the s still has a nice sporty look and two up seems possible on it (it seems less so on the ninja just because im already 160 add another 120 could that bike handle 280 pounds?)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #29
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
That is why I really like the sv the horsepower numbers aren't nearly as insane and the redline isn't at 16,000 rpm. But the s still has a nice sporty look and two up seems possible on it (it seems less so on the ninja just because im already 160 add another 120 could that bike handle 280 pounds?)
A 250 will move 280#, it isn't ideal, but you arent likely to be racking up a lot of miles right away. 2up is not recommended too soon. As fun as riding a bike is, and as excited as I'm sure you are to get started, it's like sex, 1 bad move & you have a BIG price to pay. I would not want to live with the idea I hurt a passenger because she wanted a ride & I wasn't ready to safely take her. This will happen, be reasonable of the situations you allow yourself to get into. DON'T go to school with an extra helmet. If you were my son, I'd put a solo seat on whatever you get. Good luck, be reasonable & give yourself time to learn. Don't ride with the sportbikers, unless they happen to be unusually responsible highschool aged sportbike riders.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #30
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Yes, it can. But you are getting ahead of yourself. You should ride by yourself for a good while before you ride with a passenger. Take the MSF course, get a used bike that's beginner-friendly, get some seat time, and then revisit the questions you're asking now.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote