Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Starter
Registered Member

I wasn't really looking for bike recomendations i was looking more for prices of used bikes so i don't get overcharged. I've read alot of posts about people saying that motorcycle is aging and needs new blood in the sport but seriously if a simple question such as mine is responded to as harshly as you "seasoned veterans" have responded i can see why people are deterred. I'll say it one more time i dont need a bike recomendation just prices of used bikes similar to the sv650s because i like those ones. Seriously though guys I'm 16 years old, i barely have my permit, i wont get a bike till next spring, but im going to work my ass off all summer and winter to buy one. Im just a newb looking for info.
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Starter
Registered Member

So because i didn't want to sift through thousands of pages of forum content to see if they have a good price suggestion on the bike i already listed I'm lazy? and i should be scolded? That totally makes sense i thought the learning to ride section was for new riders to ask questions, my bad. I've done my research as much as i can with bike specs and whats good for a beginner I can't believe out of the 5-6 response this thread has had no one had any courtesy or thought to even help just to re-iterate what the last post said. I read those stickies this isn't my first time on a forum obviously not this specific one but on other forums we help the new guys as best we can. no one likes it and ofcourse there are stickies but to a newb the information in a sticky really means nothing because they don't know what they are doing. I will admit my wording wasn't great but a simple what question are you trying to ask would have been nice.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

To get current pricing on bikes, check your local craigslist, check cycletrader.com, and check eBay.

To get an idea of what bikes are selling for, check nadaguides.com and kbb.com. Remember that there's retail pricing and trade-in pricing, and they are not the same thing.

Make sure you also check the pricing for insurance for any bike you're planning on purchasing before you purchase it, because at your young age it's going to be *very* expensive. Also, some insurance companies won't insure you on anything bigger than a 250cc bike because of your lack of experience.

Last edited by trenttheuncatchable : 05-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Starter
Registered Member

ok thank you. would it be less expensive under my parents insurance just liability? sorry i went on those rants. if i was looking at a private sale that would be the trade in pricing? and from a dealer would be the retail?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Car insurance and motorcycle insurance are usually separate policies. So you probably can't be covered by your parents' insurance unless they have a motorcycle insurance policy. Liability-coverage-only is less expensive than full coverage, but of course if you break the bike (or get in accident) you'll have to cover all the costs to repair it.

Trade in pricing is what you'd get from a dealer if you sold your bike to the dealer. Retail is the amount the dealer wants when he sells you the bike. A private party might try to sell you a bike for the retail price, but you shouldn't pay that much; dealers have overhead costs to make up, private parties don't.

You should look at what motorcycles are selling for (on your local craigslist and on eBay) on a regular basis, so that you'll be somewhat informed when you're ready to buy one.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
I wasn't really looking for bike recomendations i was looking more for prices of used bikes so i don't get overcharged.
Really ??? Not.

From your first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
I was just wondering what a good first bike would be.
You won't get the right answer if you ask the wrong question.

AND when you get shagged, you need to man up and not try to weasle out of it.
When you try to blame somebody else for your mistake and cop an attitude to boot, that really doesn't make you look good. It might work in high school but not here.

Nobody can tell you what the "average price of a used bike" is.......because there are so many different bikes, years, models, conditions, etc.

We will be more than happy to help you out however we can........but first you have to help yourself just a tiny bit.......like reading a little bit of what has already been posted here in the past.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 05-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Also if you have an ebay account you can look at closed auctions & see what SOLD for what prices (try to stay local), rather then just what they are asking on live auctions. Most bikes I'd followed on there over the years never have a single bid and the auction closes. Likely because no bids placed (if any) were above the minium opening bid.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #18
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Also, some good info to gleen from the other new rider threads ...

1) Regardless of how much money you've got you should start on a cheap used bike. No more than $2-3k.

2) If you don't have a loan you aren't required to carry insurance. So, if you (or your parents) have a good health ins policy and repairing a cheap used bike is pointless, then motorcycle ins is a waste of money (IMO).

Since you're only 16 with no previous riding experience, think more about getting a 250cc. It'll give you all the experience you need scooting around town, it'll be more than fast enough for a beginner, and there will be enough power to carry a passenger. You're probably thinking about the "cool factor" and how a 250 doesn't seem as manly as a 650 ... Well, you'll still probably be the only kid in school riding a motorcycle which will resolve that issue. Just wear protection! LOL Seriously, wear a helmet and the other PPE. You can usually find good used stuff on eBay or Craigslist is cost is a concern. Plus mom & dad will feel better knowing you're acting responsibly.

Side note: Ignore the verbal reprimands. There's a lot of grumpy old guys on here, but they do usual have good wisdom to impart.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #19
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
Side note: Ignore the verbal reprimands. There's a lot of grumpy old guys on here, but they do usual have good wisdom to impart.
Ignore them ???? Now that's good advice......not.

I will admit that the post I made probably was a bit harsh but I'm gonna leave it as is because.............

What he did indicates a BIG problem with his attitude development and NEEDS to be addressed (although maybe not by US in a forum like this).

When you make a glaring mistake in what you say......but then try to blame OTHERS because they gave the wrong answer.......then YOU have a problem.......that is likely to interfere with your proper social development.

When one makes a mistake, you need to admit it and move on. Trying to defend every action you do, especially at 16, is a bad habit to get into. Realizing that you are not perfect is an important element in a healthy transition to a mature adult. Alas, some never make that transition.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
I will admit that the post I made probably was a bit harsh but I'm gonna leave it as is because.............

What he did indicates a BIG problem with his attitude development and NEEDS to be addressed (although maybe not by US in a forum like this).
It's all in the way WE (as the collective older generation) choose to help prepare the uninitiated ... Sure we could barade them for every misstep and lose their desire to learn from us. Or we could mentor them using proper training and leadership techniques garnering their respect thru the process.

I choose the latter.