Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Default Canadian riders......Is this really true ??

We have a new rider on here who says that getting a bike endorsement in your wonderful country requires you to take a long and complicated road test........but makes NO PROVISION for you to legally practice your skills before you do that test.

Is this correct ??
I know that your brains tend to freeze up there but I find this hard to swallow.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

I hope somebody will chime in. But until then, here is how the traffic safety act looks like:

Definition according to: TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT

1(w): “motorcycle” means a motor vehicle, other then a moped that is mounted on 2 or 3 wheels and includes those motor vehicles known in the automotive trade as motorcycles and scooters.

Operator’s licence: You are required to have a Class 6 licence in order to operate a motorcycle.
(Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 26.)

Minimum driving age: You must be 16 years of age in order to operate a motorcycle.
(Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 26) Applies to either learner or operator. (Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 28 – must be minimum 16 years for operating motorcycle with Class 7.)

Learning to operate: You must be 16 years of age before you begin to learn how to operate a motorcycle. A learner must hold a Class 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 licence.
(Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 29(4).)

Learner must be supervised by someone 18 years or older (Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 29(3)), who holds a Class 6 licence that is not a Graduated Driver Licence (GDL). Supervisor must either be on the bike with the learner or in or on another motor vehicle in close proximity. (Traffic Safety Act, Section 51(f), (f.1) & (f.2).) If learner has a Class 7 learner’s licence, then learner may not operate a motorcycle during night time which is defined as one hour after sunset to one hour before next sunrise (Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 32(6)).

Registration: You are required to obtain registration before you operate a motorcycle.
(Traffic Safety Act, Section 52(1)(a) states registration required for ‘motor vehicles’.)

Insurance: All motorcycles must be insured before they are operated.
(Traffic Safety Act, Section 54(1)(a) states insurance required for ‘motor vehicles’.)

source: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...klet_final.pdf

As you may see - everything is logical. However, like I said in previous thread, to legally operate a motorcycle on the road for learning, you have to provide registered, insured bike + the "instructor" who has a valid class 6 license to accompany your on the road. And, again, you are very lucky if you have both handy.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I, and I'm sure most anyone who knows anything about motorcycles would agree, 2up is NOT the way to learn. And there is no way in hell I'd get on my back seat & let a newbee take off while I coach them through operation from the pillon.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsForBarbie View Post
However, like I said in previous thread, to legally operate a motorcycle on the road for learning, you have to provide registered, insured bike + the "instructor" who has a valid class 6 license to accompany your on the road. And, again, you are very lucky if you have both handy.
No, you didn't.

You only said PART of that. You implied that it was impossible to legally get your bike registered before you are a fully licensed rider and that is simply NOT the case.

Your problem is not complicated; you just need to find a riding buddy.

That may take a little time and effort but it is not impossible.
I would volunteer in a second......except that I am too far away and don't have the proper license to meet the letter of the law in your area.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
cono_sur
Registered Member

I believe this is true. It is not legally required that you officially practice before taking the road test.

I'm pretty sure it's true for passenger vehicle licenses as well.

But, who would pass without practicing first?
cono_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cono_sur View Post
But, who would pass without practicing first?
Yep. That WAS the whole point of the discussion........in another thread.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
cono_sur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Yep. That WAS the whole point of the discussion........in another thread.
Therefore, does there explicitly need to be a law that says "you must practice first before going for road test". I suppose, for the safety of other motorists, there should be! But at the same time, it seems highly unlikely that someone would go for any test (for any subject matter, really) without practicing/studying first. It's sort of like an unwritten pre-requisite.
cono_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cono_sur View Post
Therefore, does there explicitly need to be a law that says "you must practice first before going for road test".
I think we determined that the original poster's only real problem is that he doesn't have another rider to help him practice with his permit ......legally.

The point was that the laws should not make it impossible for you to practice legally and it appears that it only makes it somewhat inconvenient and not impossible.......for most people.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
JRockZ
Registered Member

Hi there. I'm not entirely sure what the laws are like in all provinces(they tend to vary with things like this) but I'm currently living in Nova Scotia, and here we aren't legally allowed to practice riding without a license. In order to get our license we have to attend 2 sessions with an instructor both in a classroom and out on a bike, then we take our test. At least this is my understanding of the situation, I actually just started looking into it recently as I plan on starting to ride next spring/summer.
JRockZ is offline   Reply With Quote