Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

Red face Road test is coming!

Hello again! I need all the advice I can get.

My road test is coming in two weeks and I am supper nervous!

I passed the lot test and now it will be a mandatory 1 hour on the road test. They will take me everywhere - residential, industrial, freeways etc. The examiner will follow me on his car with two way radio.

My huge problem is that I didn't get any road sit time at all since I don't have a registered bike (it's all backwards here - until you get your license, you cannot register your bike or get insurance on it - hence - illegal to go anywhere - even around neighborhood to practice.) I know a few people with two registered bikes but they don't really thrilled to let me ride their "babies" so I asked, they say "meh..." so I backed up and didn't ask again.

So, here is the situation. HALP!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I'm confused. How can they road test you if they don't let you ride on the road? It's also silly for an examiner to follow you in a car; they should be on a bike as well. Find someone who *will* let you ride, who's experienced, and who will ride with you.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsForBarbie View Post
(it's all backwards here - until you get your license, you cannot register your bike or get insurance on it - hence - illegal to go anywhere - even around neighborhood to practice.)
OK, so how ARE you supposed to learn to ride then ??

Have you asked that question of the officials that run the testing ??
Either you live in a really screwed up country or there is a misunderstanding. Are you SURE that you can't get a "permit" first ??
What about riding schools ??

Even the most idiotic politicians wouldn't expect you to be able to pass a one hour riding test........with NO riding experience.

OTOH, if the told you what you needed to do.......and you elected NOT to do that.......then I guess you dug your own hole.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

I agree with you, guys. That's why I said - it's backwards here (not too far from you, actually. Just north of the boarder). There is nothing I can do - this is how it works here.

I took two safety courses but they don't take students on the road - lot practice only. Two years ago to get license it was enough to pass the lot test. The rules changed since then and now you have to pass knowledge, lot and road test. Check the Canadian ministry of transportation website if you don't believe me.

Schools don't want to take newbies to the road - the insurance is too high for them to take the risk. So, if you don't have buddies who IS willing to take the risk to teach you - you are screwed. That's exactly my situation.

I am going to take the road test and try my best. If I don't pass - there is always a second, third, n+ test (if I will stay alive after trying to ride on the highway, lol). I wish things where different. I would start from practicing in low traffic and slowly building my confidence but the ironic thing is that for me to start practicing in low traffic I need to pass the hell of the busiest highway first, lol. I hear people do this test with really high passing rate but for me it's seems unreal at this point with limited lot riding experience I have.

So, what to watch for? What tips can you give me? Don't tell me - don't do it because I am gonna.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Don't be afraid of the freeways. The lanes are wider & traffic all goes one direction. Steer very gradually using body weight only, do not "steer" with the handlebars, lean gently.
I know a lot of muncipalities do this weird. In Va you have to have your bike at the DMV for the field test, but you don't have a lisence to get it there, forcing you to break the law at least once, or trailer it in, or get someone else to ride it in for you, kinda silly.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
There is nothing I can do - this is how it works here.
So.....I frequent several motorcycle forums. Some have many Canadian members. If it is as bad as you make it out, how come there hasn't been a generalized outrage.......and this is the first I've heard of it ??? Not saying you are wrong but just that you "guys" up there shouldn't take this without some serious protest.

What to look out for......everything.
Keep up with the traffic and don't make any sudden moves.
Don't follow too close to a vehicle ahead.
It's not that much different that driving a car........you DO have a car license, right ??

Assuming that your description of the situation is accurate, about all you can do is find something nearby you with a parking lot that is empty at some time of the day. Big churches during the week, schools on weekends, factories or similar that are closed completely, etc. and maybe a sub-division that is "land locked" so there is no through traffic, in the middle of the day or evening when the streets are deserted.

I think that you really NEED to get in some practice and minimize the odds of "getting caught". Starting and stopping are the biggerst problems. Practice making a turn, both right and left, from a dead stop......like you would at a 4-way stop.

AND contact your legislator(s) about these stupid rules. It will never change if nobody complains.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

Thank you guys for tips.

Hey, Easy Rider 2, how about the fact that the "individual being tested must provide a motorcycle for the road test." Well, thanks God we have places who rents the bike for the test (rental fee+ damage deposit+one day insurance). If not for the rental places, the person who has absolutely nobody in the family or friends with the registered bike (like me, for example) can't even take the road test to begin with, lol.
Like I said, people have friends or family who owns bike and are ready to let the newbie ride for practice. It is legal if learner riding the bike (registered, obviously) on the road if s/he is accompanied (either on another bike or as a passenger) by the person with valid class 6 (motorcycle) license. With no exception, everybody who took the lot course with me have somebody in the family/friends who were taking them on their bike to the road/rural location and let them practice. Well, lucky them.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Vallium. Take lots of Vallium.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Rent a smaller bike that is easy to handle, and has just enough motor to be non-hazardous on the freeway.

The single biggest tip, well - two; the first is to keep a very good picture of what is going on four seconds in front of you. And, don't 'hide'. That is, put yourself in the lane where everyone can see you. That includes the cars' rear-views.

The second is to keep your head/eyes level with the horizon when you turn. If you tilt your head, it really screws up your line through the corner.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey, Easy Rider 2, how about the fact that the "individual being tested must provide a motorcycle for the road test."

It is legal if learner riding the bike (registered, obviously) on the road if s/he is accompanied (either on another bike or as a passenger) by the person with valid class 6 (motorcycle) license.
Well now maybe we're getting somewhere......maybe.

I'd be willing to bet that there is no place is the whole world where the licensing government agency PROVIDES bikes to take the test with.......so you are not unique in that respect.

Then, you seem to be contridicting your initial assertion that you can't register your bike until you have a valid license.......by now saying that there is a provision similar to a learners permit that allows you to ride your own REGISTERED motorcycle for training.

The evidence continues to mount that you are just confused about the details of the rules. I strongly suspect that you really CAN register, get insurance, etc. before you pass a license test. I don't know that, mind you, but the mounting evidence seems to point that way. Getting a required inspection might be a problem BUT..............

If you had started asking around forums and bike shops for a "friend" to help you with the inspection and to be your wing-man during some training rides, I think there is a good chance that ALL your problems would have already been solved by now.

So what WAS your point in starting this thread in the first place ??
At this point, I suggest that you make a serious effort to find a riding buddy, get your bike registered and inspected so you can legally make practice/training rides and then re-schedule your license test for later. That's the only plan of action that makes any sense to me.

Do you REALLY have to schedule your test in advance ??

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 05-16-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote