Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
sincere101
Registered Member

Default newbies 1st road trip

Ok (waving) Im a newbie, been riding a couple months, although learned years ago and recently took the MSF course. My 1st bike was an 97 gsxr 600 srad (a beast) I now have a 2007 GSXR 600, I love this bike, still getting used to her ( the weight etc). My first road trip is coming up in about 2 weeks (700miles NY to SC) stopping every 1.5 hours. Any advice to a new rider?
sincere101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

That sounds fun. I hope you have a great ride.

First, don't plan on making the trip in one day, unless you're prepared to be beat to crap on arrival. Even on a sport-touring bike, 500 miles in a day is a good ride. Unless you're in incredible physical shape, you're going to be hurting after 300 miles, so plan on it and don't expect to do much more than that in one day.

For a new rider on a sportbike, 2 days; maybe 400/300 is more realistic. Rain gear is a necessity for this type of trip. If you're soaked and cold by a thunderstorm, you won't ride well. Obviously your bike has virtually no weather protection, so a full-face helmet goes without saying. If you can find some gloves with the little squeegee on the index finger, get a pair. Cycle Gear usually has them. They also have anti-fog wipes you can use on your helmet's faceshield.

Your chain will need a lube or two...perhaps at your overnight stop and certainly by the time you arrive. Bring a can. Even if the bike isn't using oil, take a couple pints in case the highway miles burn some. Of course make sure your tires have plenty of tread. A lot of guys will put a tire plug or similar repair kit in their bag.

I don't pack tools like I used to back in the "Shovelhead" days, but a flashlight, hex-key kit, 2-4 screwdrivers, and 10, 12, 13 and 14mm wrenches are always on board. A small metric ratchet set comes along to. Don't make any big changes or add accessories just before the trip; you don't want to be troubleshooting the bike in Bum-Fck, NC.

Resist the urge to speed, wheelie, or do anything out of line, especially in NC. The cops there are brutal; they made me follow them to town to "post bond" for a simple speeding violation. I was doing just over 80 in a 65, and they were going to impound my bike unless I posted a $500 bond. ****ers. There isn't much worse than tangling with cops when you're out of town.

Don't overdo it with the energy drinks, coffee, etc. Stay hydrated with water or juice. Eat light meals with more carbs and less fiber. NASA calls it a "low-residue" diet. I call it "avoid public restrooms."

Check out this link for even more great tips: AOW Listing

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 05-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
sincere101
Registered Member

Great advice. Did I mention I am female (wink). The original plan was to ride straight through, now we will be staying over in VA which as you suggested is a good 400 miles or so. Im all set with the proper gear however I will be looking to get those gloves you mentioned as well. Tools? I have a few items in my tail bag so. I was concerned with the soreness as well and glad you mentioned the easy on the energy drinks because that was going to be a plan as well. Thank you for the advice, I'll keep you posted
Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I don't have anything to add to Ken's advice in terms of the trip.

Have you ridden your current bike for a couple of two-hour stretches yet? Is the seat comfy enough for that length of time? Are the ergos okay? I ask because the wrong seat on a long trip is the worst.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

You can buy the 'squee-gees' in a 3-size pack from Aerostich.com. They slip over a gloved finger (usually the left index finger).

Make sure you stay hydated, as Ken said. Dehydration will sneak up on you. I recommend the low-cal Gatorade or similar.

Another tip is to take a break every half tank of fuel. Most bikes will go roughly 90-100 miles per half tank, so that's a 'stretch and pee' break every hour and some-odd.

Hope you have a great trip! Keep us posted!

And, welcome to the site!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
sincere101
Registered Member

The first thing I made sure I got was a good Gel seat, so far so good. I have gotten a good 1.5 hour trip here and there. Im a lil nervous, Im guessing because its my first. Im told once I get that 700 miles under my belt, im good to go.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Oh the biggie on long rides, Bicycle shorts!!! If you dont have a pair run out to a bike shop and get a pair of spandex shorts with the chamois in them. I recommend the real Chamois (deer hide) vs the synthetic or terry cloth versions. Wear them under your riding clothes and they will make a major diff when you get off the bike at the end of the day. Wick away perspiration and eliminates hot spots.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Bike shorts are ok, or you can go to these guys:

LDComfort - Getting to the Bottom of Rider Comfort - Motorcycle Underwear

Only if you're planning a lot of long trips though. Not worth it for a one-time ride.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere101 View Post
Im told once I get that 700 miles under my belt, im good to go.
Well....... bike riders are known to be quick to give advice that may not apply to you. That may not apply in your case.

This makes me just a little uneasy. You don't REALLY have that much experience........and the bike you have wasn't really made for long road trips.

I wish you luck. Who else is going along ??

If it is other more experienced riders, do NOT let them push you beyond what you KNOW your limit of enduarnce is.......or your limit of skill riding difficult roads either.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Bike shorts are ok, or you can go to these guys:

LDComfort - Getting to the Bottom of Rider Comfort - Motorcycle Underwear

Only if you're planning a lot of long trips though. Not worth it for a one-time ride.
Those look like bike shorts without the best part, the chamois. My Pearl Izumi's cost almost twice the price of the above, but I ride bicycles too. So they get use.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote