Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First bike: Cruiser (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18471)

UrianL150 05-03-2011 10:14 AM

First bike: Cruiser

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help in deciding what motorcycle to get as my first bike. First off, I'm 23, reach about 5'9 from the ground & weigh about 160 lbs. I don't mind about how fast, strong the bike is. I'd prefer a bike that is affordable, fit well to my height/weight, and be able to go on the freeway. I'll avoid going on the freeway, until I'm very experienced. :)

Anyways, thanks for reading. I'd appreciate any constructive advice. :)

Thanks!

Morbo the Destroyer 05-03-2011 10:31 AM

Are you in the US? If so, there are a LOT of cruisers to choose from. Look at the Star 900, the Boulevard M50, or Honda Shadows.

UrianL150 05-03-2011 10:45 AM

Yep, I'm in the USA.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Morbo the Destroyer 05-03-2011 11:15 AM

You will find dozens, if not hundreds, of used cruisers to buy. They're cheap too. A friend bought an 07 900 with 2,000 miles a week ago for $4,500. From a dealer, no less.

pushrod 05-03-2011 12:38 PM

Bonneville!

Or the America or Speedmaster.

Easy Rider 2 05-03-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrianL150 (Post 259403)
I'll avoid going on the freeway, until I'm very experienced. :)

The advice here is always constructive......ALWAYS. :D

Maybe you should also forgo getting a bike that is REALLY freeway capable until you are "very experienced". Maybe.

Have you read the other "what should my first bike be" threads ??
If not, please do. The advice doesn't change that much from one case to the next.

A Star Ride 05-03-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 259419)
The advice doesn't change that much from one case to the next.

Even if you have had dirtbike experience, kick ass on X-Box, saw all the Fast & the Furious series. What if you really know what you want? What if you're not an old virgin fag? What if you don't want to look silly? What if you de-tune, or throttle it down? What if you know you can handle it?

pushrod 05-04-2011 07:37 AM

Oh, and Urian -

The Freeway is not the most dangerous place to ride, by a good bit.

At least everyone is going (pretty much) the same direction.

Easy Rider 2 05-04-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 259431)
At least everyone is going (pretty much) the same direction.

Statistically that is true, partly due to the fact that relatively few total miles are ON freeways, compared to all the riding around town that is done.

It also depends on what road and what time of day. In several places I've been (BIG city at rush hour), you can't even depend on the above being true. :o

A Star Ride 05-04-2011 09:28 AM

I feel safer on the freeways. Sure speed is higher, but 1 direction traffic as you said and no side roads to pull out from, gradual curves. I don't particularly enjoy the freeways, but feel safer there then in town or on counrty roads.

Hijack over.