Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
assaultvehicle95
Registered Member

Default Help the new guy please? Decisions... Advice?

Hi everyone,

I am a 24 year old guy, 6'3" 275lbs. Ive finally decided to get a bike and am lost when it comes to what to buy. I am going to take the MSF Course and whatnot.
I have wanted a harley VROD since they came out and finally am financially stable enough to do it. I also have been looking at the Suzuki Boulevard C109R (1800).
Basically, ive narrowed it down to two... a New 2008 Suzuki Boulevard or a 2009 Harley Night Rod with 2k miles.
If i am going way out of my league here, let me know, im not afraid of a little constructive criticism, I would like any and all opinions i could get.

Thanks in advance!
assaultvehicle95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
assaultvehicle95
Registered Member

Oh i might add, i have NO street bike experience, ive ridden ATVs alot, but i know it is absolutely nothing alike. Ive ridden dirt bikes a couple times, but not much.
assaultvehicle95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

The conversion from dirt to street means you at least understand the shifting, braking, clutch, etc better then someone with only video game experience. You are a big guy, and likely wouldn't be as comfortable on a smaller (typical starter) bike as someone 6" shorter & 100# lighter. In all fairness you will need a larger bike, but I do think you are shooting a little high. There are good strong bikes in the 800 - 1000cc range well able to move you arround. The 900 Vulcans, the 1100 Virago's & Intruders are all good bikes, with the power to get you up the road & have reasonable room on them for someone your size. They wouldn't be ideal for a cross country trip, but you aren't likely to do that anyway. You can get forward controls & bar risers for any of them too & roll the bars forward if needed.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Also I saw where you posted in the new rider thread, I hope you read through it, lots of great advice there.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
newagetwotone
Registered Member

While you are a big guy the C109R and Nightrod are big bikes. I'd honestly take a look at a Dual sport bike such as the Suzuki DL650 or KLR650 for a first bike.

Buying a 2000 KLR is going to be cheaper, they blue book for around $1k and if you dump it well... its a $1k bike not a brand new bike. On top of that the KLRs rider triangle (Peg to seat to handlebars) is going to be better for learning on and the power of the C109R and the Vrod is way too much for a first bike.

Figure the Night rod sits at about a buck and a quarter (125hp) and the C109R is around 110-120. In general for your first bike. Big bike or not your first bike should be something with sub 75 horses. None starts to drive on a porsche after all. The KLR sits at around 45hp, its a tall bike and can be taken for some light off road.

Don't worry about other "Fitting in" with the style the people around you ride or showing off for anyone. Your first bike should be one thing and that's something for YOU to learn on and cheap enough that when you, because you will eventually, drop it you wont want to punch babies.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultvehicle95 View Post
finally am financially stable enough to do it.
I agree with A-Star.......that you might be shooting a little high for a first bike......size wise.

And then let's talk about money.
What does "financially stable" really mean ??
If it means that you will still have to borrow a CHUNK of money to do it and stretch the loan out more than 2 years.......then you need to set your sights lower dollar wise too.

An 800-1100 CC cruiser or standard more than 5 years old would seem to me to be a reasonable starter for you. You will have a better idea after the course and sitting on a few different models.

You need to remember that LOOK is NOT the most important thing in a first bike. You can worry about that after you learn to ride on something that fits you good.........regardless of what it looks like !!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultvehicle95 View Post
finally am financially stable enough to do it.
to add to the above post.

Get a $1k bike, beat it to death for a year, sell it for $800. You've spent $200 on a bike AND the insurance premiums you will save will make up for that.

Either that or keep it and make it into a 100% off road bike.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

From the mc insurance pro: Think of the cost! Not just the cost of maintaining the bike and such. Think "If I were to break this bike COULD I repair it out of pocket?" Remember, if you make a claim it doesn't just effect your mc insurance. The auto coverage and homeowner coverages are subject to surcharges upon renewal. The nasty little thing called a CLUE report is like credit in the insurance world. It tracks all your insurance history.
Also, being a newbie, think "If I drop a $5K bike will I cry less than dropping a $15k bike?" Why? Becasue every newbie drops a bike. It's happened to all of us. You need a little seat time in something cheap that you can get miles on and break a couple times then move up. The KLR idea is sound, but a Vulcan or V-Star in the 900cc range can be had for near $5k used easy and will allow you a learning curve. If you don't break it you most likely can sell it for near what you bought it for after your first year.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Good points and having had (at least a little) offroad experience, you are picking up from where you left off. The room (for you) on the dual sports will be greater, the bikes are narrower, but have a higher center of gravity, countered by less overall weight.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Get a $1k bike,
Just discussing here..............
Absolutely agree with that; it's pretty much what I was trying to say BUT..........

The $1K price point might be a little low......for a bike the size we are talking about. If it's that cheap, it's likely VERY old or has issues or both. I never recommend that a first timer get a bike with "issues".

So I think that something around $2K would probably be a better target; maybe even 2.5 or 3.