Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Same principle but a 2000 KLR650 blue books at $1k.

Not very old, easy enough to work on.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm no mechanic, my first bike was a 250 Rebel that wouldn't start, but a mutual friend of mine & the seller hed ridden with him a few weeks earlier so I figured it had to be simple. Paid him $400 for it, picked it up trucked it home & found a cracked sparkplug wire elbow the next morning, replaced it then had to replace the head pipe packing to the engine, rode it 2 years & got $800 on trade toward a left over 95 Vulcan 800 in 1996. I'd say most bikes out there not running can be remidied pretty cheap.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
assaultvehicle95
Registered Member

First off guys, thanks for the quick response! This is some awesome advice and i really appreciate you saying things you've probably already typed 10 times to me again to try to save my gourd from being smushed. And i read about 30 of the 43 pages, but didnt run in to any criser/big guy threads.... so i lost hope after reading for a couple hours and posted a new thread.

Second off, I was worried i was getting in above my head, all i have so far are friends that say "get what you want, it doesn't matter what you start on" and that i know is not very smart.

So, okay. I need to start smaller. Im really not into a DP bike, id rather start on a cruiser. I dont see myself offroading in anything but my Raptor or pickup truck. In my area, ive seen some 6ish year old sportsters (883) for around 4500.00 and there is a Suzuki Boulevard M50 (819) for around 5000.00.... would those be okay bikes for me to start on?

Also, how long realistically do you think it will be before i can handle my VROD? That desire aint going away lol

Last edited by assaultvehicle95 : 04-30-2011 at 04:45 PM.
assaultvehicle95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
assaultvehicle95
Registered Member

Is a Harley Nightster 1200 too much bike?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultvehicle95 View Post
. In my area, ive seen some 6ish year old sportsters (883) for around 4500.00 and there is a Suzuki Boulevard M50 (819) for around 5000.00.... would those be okay bikes for me to start on?

Also, how long realistically do you think it will be before i can handle my VROD? That desire aint going away lol
It's your money and your ass.
In the end, "WE" have no stake in either.

If you're gonna try and be practical, go back and re-read the advice in this thread. If you have to finance it, I think $5K is WAY too much for a first bike. Size wise, you should be able to handle either, probably.

If you're NOT going to be practical go for the V-rod or Nightster now.
That way you can have a wrecked bike, a hospital bill AND a big note to pay off on the bike all at once. No sense in stringing out the pain; might as well do it all at once.

I don't remember you saying how old you are. I betting under 30; probably under 25.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 04-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Is a Harley Nightster 1200 too much bike?
Lots of people have started on sportsters. My only concern there would be price. They are heavier bikes than you could start on but not terrible. If you're buying new have you looked at the 883 Iron?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
assaultvehicle95
Registered Member

Yeah ER2, I know there is no stake on your part I understand, its just a human thing to want to help others and those comments make validpoints, especially for someone that's never ridden. I've pulled quite a few bikers from the street still breathing and not. I know the danger, I'm looking for a bike that can hall my chubby ass around and not be too overpowered, as I have no experience. I figured id come here and ask some experienced and knowledgeable riders and it looks like I made a good decision. I'm here looking to get guidance to hopefully avoid a hospital bill or a damaged bike.

Seriously, thanks for the input

I don't even know what the 883 iron is.... I will look into it. I am a practical and mature person with a wife and kids and a good career. I turn 25 in a few months which dramatically improves my insurance rates I may just wait till that "kandmark" before I make my decision. I can't get into the MSF until june Anyway. and agree the vrod may have a bit too much spunk for me right now. The 1200 and 883 harleys I know noting about in terms of power and wanted to kn.ow if they would be a responsible choice for me to start riding on. Thanks again for the input guys, if you think of anything else please let me know

Last edited by assaultvehicle95 : 04-30-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
newagetwotone
Registered Member

^^ 883 iron ^^

Nevermind broken image
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
I am a practical and mature person with a wife and kids and a good career. I turn 25 in a few months
Yep. I thought that too when I was 24.
Looking back on it 40 years later........it wasn't completely true.

With a wife and kids, the first thing you should buy is LOTS of life insurance. THEN you can start looking at bikes seriously.

Although I am a much smaller person than you, when I started riding it was on a 90 CC Honda. At that time, the biggest street bike available (except for the touring bikes) was 750 CC.

Point IS that anything with a 400 CC or larger engine will haul your ass around just fine.

Choosing a first bike with an engine over 900 CC would put your "practical and mature" claim in serious doubt.
Cost is higher, gas mileage is lower, extra power might get you in trouble and a bigger bike hurts more if it falls on you.

That's it; we've about said it all ........several different ways.
Now it's up to you.
What does your wife think about all this ??
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
A Star Ride
Registered Member

You have the rest of your life to enjoy motorcycling, take it slow. If you were to pick up a running hobby you wouldn't start with a marathon, you'd start with a 5K, maybe a 3K. Same principal applies here.
If you have less invested in the bike, and it is less impressive (in your mind) you will have more to look forward to and you will focus on the ride & skill developing rather then how great everything instantly is. Also once you get out there, regardless of the bike, youll learn to appreciate some features different bikes offer or dont offer & have a better idea of what you do really want in a bike. Spend a few hours on a standard & you may feel you'd want your feet more rearward rather then more forward, you can't figure these things out in showrooms & magazines, you have to do it. I'd rather determine thses things with $2K invested when I planed to upgrade anyway. I've been riding 16 -17 years, I like my current bike (2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe) but I also know if I were in the market for a bike today I wouldn't buy anything like it.