Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Tricky79
Registered Member

Default Yet Another First Sportbike :) New Guy

Hello all I am new to this forum so allow myself to introduce myself. My name is Kris and I am a 32 year old who is FINALLY ready to go street. I got my motorcycle license about 10 years ago when I thought I was going to get a bike then. Well I got a dirtbike instead and loved it. Life also happened and I just got too busy with work and other crap. Now here I am and I am determined to get a bike. I have always loved the sportbike style over the cruiser mainly because I love to go fast...Like Ricky Bobby.

The bike that was recommended to me back then was the somewhat new Suzuki SV 650. Obviously this bike was very popular, but seemed like something I would want to replace quicker than the loan. I am aware the dangers of sportbikes and all bikes alike as I am a paramedic. I figure there is danger in nearly everything and if I do my best to be the safest and most defensive rider out there, well it's still dangerous.

I am loking for a new bike and am torn between a bike like the Ducati Monster and a full sportbike. Then there is the question of new or used. I know most of this was me talking but there are a few questions out there. Thanks for your time.
Tricky79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
cloud9
Registered Member

Well the monster comes in 3 different engine variations which could ease your decision making. The 696 is considered Ducati's beginner friendly motorcycle with the 796 being a more gradual step up.

With your dirt-bike experience and perhaps a msf refresher course you could go the new bike route.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

There's a lot of good info for new riders on this thread:
First Bike: Sportsbike ?

The SV650 is a total beginner's bike. Basically the S1000RR or the ZX-10R seem to be the recommended choices. Both of them have a nifty engine control system so you can dial the power down to around 100hp for when you're first starting out.

The Monster is ok, but you'll get a lot of wind pressure when riding at anything over 70-80 mph. The full-fairing sportbikes will give you the ability to tuck in for the high-speed rides.

Why buy used when new isn't that much more? You can add accessories to the loan like a Power Commander and full exhaust.

Have fun!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Advice from the Insurance guy. But the SV. You can find 2nd gen bikes for $3500 now. It hurts your wallet a lot less to break a $3500 bike vs a $8000 bike. And they are cheap to insure in your age group.
Just sayin....
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Advice from the Insurance guy. But the SV. You can find 2nd gen bikes for $3500 now. It hurts your wallet a lot less to break a $3500 bike vs a $8000 bike. And they are cheap to insure in your age group.
Just sayin....
+1

And to expose the "other side of the coin" a bit more:

A real sport bike with lots of pretty plastic body work will cost a fortune to repair should you drop it......maybe even at 0 mph. And the odds are overwhelming that you will drop it at least once.

Then there is the general principal of NOT financing your toys; especially not financing accessories that have questionable value to begin with and are virtually worthless on resale.......or that take the value down.

The practical approach: Save up for a good used standard or "naked" bike with decent power and then trade up later.

The "I gotta have exactly what I want NOW" approach: Do whatever you want; practical considerations be damed.

And like I've said several times before........your question isn't really different than the other "new bike" threads already on here, even though everybody thinks they are different. Go back and read over them, if you haven't already.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

What ER2 said...

And, you need to determine what you are going to do with the bike. Blasts around town, cruising, long-distance or touring, hauling a passenger, etc. You going to do your own maintenance?

All those sort of dictate a size, style and even make of bike. You don't give your height, which can make a decision tough because you may like that crotch-rocket or Dual Purpose, but you don't fit it.

So, pack a lunch, and read the New Rider? "sticky". Loads of good info.

And the SV-650 is a great motorcycle...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

What is wrong with you guys? These youngsters want a damn liter-bike, and they want it NOW. Enough with the "start with a small cheap bike" and "ATGATT" bull****!

Buy the fastest, most powerful and sophisticated motorcycle you can possibly get financed for and RIDE THE **** OUT OF IT!!

650cc = PUSSIE BIKE

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ken's regular ride is a Zuma. He just hasn't told anyone. But I saw it through the spy camera we installed in he head when I stayed at his mom's for Daytona a few years ago.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

That SV650 is plenty quick enough to kill you. Just search youtube for examples. If you want a sportbike, get the SV650S. It's actually a better sportbike for the street than a CBR, GSXR, ZX, or R6. And it is not a bike you'll ever need to replace with something faster or more powerful, either, unless you take it to the track. And even then, rider skill is more important than what bike you're riding. And buy used.

Having said all that, the SV650S should really be your second street bike, not your first.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Tricky79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
What ER2 said...

And, you need to determine what you are going to do with the bike. Blasts around town, cruising, long-distance or touring, hauling a passenger, etc. You going to do your own maintenance?

All those sort of dictate a size, style and even make of bike. You don't give your height, which can make a decision tough because you may like that crotch-rocket or Dual Purpose, but you don't fit it.

So, pack a lunch, and read the New Rider? "sticky". Loads of good info.

And the SV-650 is a great motorcycle...
Well where are my manners. I am 6'2" and 175lbs. I have been told that I might be a little tall for the Monster and alike bikes. Thank you all for your advice even though it is still a tough decision. It's not like I get to test-drive all the bikes I want.
Tricky79 is offline   Reply With Quote