Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   First Bike: Sportsbike ? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18409-first-bike-sportsbike.html)

Seijuro 04-24-2011 01:19 PM

First Bike: Sportsbike ?

hey everyone,
let me start by saying.. i was always a little interested in bikes i guess, but not really a bike-manic as others

but i recently got more and more interested in bikes and soon im gonna do my license, after that i plan on immediately buying my first bike

everywhere, i always read that sportbikes aren't recommended for beginners, as a first bike and that you should go with something else

now my question: of course I'd have to test the bike and all that to know whats good for me, and i definitely will, i wont just buy any random bike obviously
but im kinda only interested in sportbikes and even tho they arent recommended for beginners, im asking if it is still possible?
what i want: i want a powermachine, a really sexy powermachine with nice kW and nice speed which just feels right for me, but theres just one little problem which worries me

after getting the license, i'll have to throttle my bike down to 25 kW (for 2 years....) and sportbikes obviously got a lot of kW
now im wondering.. if it "hurts" the bike too much if i throttle a high-kW machine down to that low amount, or if its still possible?

i know, it sounds dumb and all that, but i really wanna start with a sportsbike, and i love machines like this:
http://www.moppedblog.de/wp-content/...00rr_serie.jpg

s 1000 rr, really sexy, but well.. 142kW might be a little too much, but i'd like to have one with at least 100+ kW for starting, of course i'd have to throttle it, but i dont know if i'll immediately buy a new bike after 2 years, so dethrottling + keeping it might be the choice i'll make in 2 years, so i still want a high kW machine as first bike
now im worried it wouldnt be good to throttle a sportbike so much, can anyone here help me out and explain it to me?

i read through many articles and all that, but i made up my mind, it has to be a sportsbike

another question:
biker-protective clothing

would you recommend getting everything immediately? because to be honest, even tho its a sportsbike, all im gonna do with it at first will be driving to friends, partys, school, college, some highway fun (nothing stupid of course :)) or simply driving to another city (hamburg - have to use the highway) and all that stuff, getting me from A to B, and i definitely cant wear protective clothing for something like that
so i thought about only getting a helmet at first, the only thing which i HAVE TO wear, because i cant wear the other stuff if i'll drive shopping or to a birthday party or any other stuff i mentioned above

of course i plan to get the full protective clothing later on, maybe for a tour, for days on which i only plan on driving and for other stuff
(it wouldnt be a problem to wear these clothes in such situations)

what would you recommend?

hope you can help me out.. and while i understand its probably stupid of me wanting to start with a sportsbike and only wearing a helmet even tho i'll be a beginner, i still hope you can help me

thanks a lot in advance
Regards

Easy Rider 2 04-24-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijuro (Post 258880)
now im wondering.. if it "hurts" the bike too much if i throttle a high-kW machine down to that low amount, or if its still possible?

i know, it sounds dumb and all that, but i really wanna start with a sportsbike, and i love machines like this:

It's pretty simple really.
Do you also love your skin.......and your life ??

Those rules were put in place for good reasons; mostly that human beings tend to be emotional animals.....rather than sane, practical ones.

Since I don't live in a place that has rules that tight, I don't know if all bikes can easily be "throttled down" or not. I expect not.

You would do well to heed all that advice that you have been hearing and buy a small, used bike to train on, not only for your health but also because bigger sport bikes tend to be VERY expensive to fix after a spill.......even at 0 KPH.

Going ON and ON about how you feel and what you think does nothing to change the hard fact that a machine that it too big and powerful is dangerous in the hands of a rookie........and YOU are no exception.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijuro (Post 258880)
and while i understand its probably stupid of me wanting to start with a sportsbike and only wearing a helmet even tho i'll be a beginner, i still hope you can help me

Help you with what, exactly? Help you be even more stupid ??
Looks like you don't need any extra help when it comes to that.

What you are going through is absolutely normal for a young lad.......but that doesn't make it any less stupid. That includes riding with only a helmet. Many young riders are scarred for life and wish they had done it differently when they went sliding down the road.......with only a helmet.

A Star Ride 04-24-2011 01:53 PM

I don't know if I nor anyone else here will see your post as remotely serious. There is a 50% chance you will die before the leaves fall from the trees again. The idea of paying for & insuring (I hope you have a clue as to the expences you will entail) a bike like this to scale it back makes no sence at all. Get a small bike, learn to ride & handle it, after thousands of safely travled miles, consider something larger/faster, NOT until then.

About the protective gear, wear it, it may save your life if you are insistant on doing this. Don't ride to parties. I don't know what to say but I hope you have a real scare quickly & realize you are foolish with your expectations.

Seijuro 04-24-2011 02:25 PM

oh man...
of course i wont wear full protective gear, its not about being stupid or anything else, i simply will use my bike a lot and i wont wear protective gear when driving to a party/bday/shopping/friends and w/e
@ a star ride.. of course i will ride to all that without it (i wont have a car when getting a bike.. and i always thought a bike can be used for getting from A to B)
what do you use your bike for, only for fun when you have time? im glad you guys have both.. a car and a bike, but i'll only be having a bike the moment i'll buy one, so i intend to use it to my needs

im happy for you that you have absolutely no problem with wearing that uncomfortable, thick, ugly stuff all the time whereever you go, but since im still young i'd actually like to wear normal clothes which i like
i think thats exactly the reason why theres a rule that you only HAVE TO wear a helmet

and im not like those fag kids thinking "uh im so cool, i'll drive 160mph all the time i dont give a ****, im awesome"

i simply cant wear protective gear when driving to school or something else, ridiculous

i dont know what kind of **** u expect me to do only because im young and all that, but i really dont plan on driving like an idiot and dying a young age, i'd get myself a car then

as i said, i will test the bikes beforehand.. and only buy one which i am ABLE to drive... i wont buy a sportsbike which i have no control over, i know im new to this, but that doesnt change the fact that i know what i want
and only because im new to this, doesnt mean i cant get a sportsbike, otherwise there'd be a rule for this
you can die with a small non-sportsbike as well, if you drive like a fag
i just want to know if its possible to throttle sportsbikes with 100+ kW down to 25.. or if thats absolutely a no-go
if i remember correctly.. i somewhere read that its possible, but im not so sure, thats why im asking

so please, i hope we can forget this little
"sportsbike as first bike, no protective gear.. u'll die"-stuff, im tired of that already, arguments like that wont change my mind and i just want an honest opinion on my question and not ur opinion on stuff i already decided on
no offense

important: just because im getting a sportsbike doesnt mean that im planning on driving 20000000 mph all the time, especially not without protective gear..
i just like the looks etc of the sportbikes

A Star Ride 04-24-2011 03:16 PM

Stop being a puss... you can't show up at a party with a governed sportbike, that would be less cool then a helmet, even worse, gloves or a jacket. You'd be the laughing stock of the party limiting your sportbike because you cannot handle it. How you gona take the ladies for a drunken midnight spin on limited power? Be a man & own the machine, don't let it own you.

Morbo the Destroyer 04-24-2011 03:22 PM

It's going to be hard to get the dealers to let you test their sportbikes. About the only place I know of that they do that is at bike rallies like Daytona Bike Week. You're going to need your motorcycle endorsement before you'll even have a chance of test-riding one.

You can handle the BMW S1000RR. Just put in in "C" mode until you get used to it; that'll cut the power down to about 100hp. After a couple of days you'll be ready to run it back up to full-power. After all, why get a bike that going to be too slow after a few days of practice?

If you're riding to parties and stuff, just get some gloves and a helmet. The rest of that stuff like a jacket can wait. You're going to need all your money for a new exhaust system and LED lights and stuff for the bike.

Have fun!

Seijuro 04-24-2011 03:31 PM

@ a star ride
what kind of advice is that?
you also got some useful advice or is that all?

25 kw is the maximum we're allowed to use for 2 years, of course its annoying, but i cannot change that
its not about being cool or any other ****, i already told you that...
whats wrong with old pple lecturing "young" pple always like that, i dont give a **** about that ****

its about what i prefer and if i dont like other bikes then thats just me, but ur half-assed advice wont change any of that

i asked a simple question, if you dont know the answer to that, then just dont reply... as you can see anything else wont help at all

and alright, from now on i'll always wear protective gear, everywhere i go, bday, party, school, friends, sport.. thats all im gonna wear

and why shouldnt i be able to handle a sportsbike, oh man..
is that all you can do? telling pple what you think is right and wrong?
if you didnt realize yet, i dont care about that, i want an answer to my question, you know.. the one in my 1st post

but i guess you dont know the answer, otherwise u would stop throwing ur "old-man-advice" at me...

Seijuro 04-24-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 258886)
It's going to be hard to get the dealers to let you test their sportbikes. About the only place I know of that they do that is at bike rallies like Daytona Bike Week. You're going to need your motorcycle endorsement before you'll even have a chance of test-riding one.

You can handle the BMW S1000RR. Just put in in "C" mode until you get used to it; that'll cut the power down to about 100hp. After a couple of days you'll be ready to run it back up to full-power. After all, why get a bike that going to be too slow after a few days of practice?

If you're riding to parties and stuff, just get some gloves and a helmet. The rest of that stuff like a jacket can wait. You're going to need all your money for a new exhaust system and LED lights and stuff for the bike.

Have fun!

thank you so much !!!
thats all i wanted to know, if i could handle a sportsbike and if i can throttle down its kW to 25
after all, i only like sportbikes, it has to look real good and yea..
of course it'll be hard to handle, but i think it'll be possible

thank you a lot for ur post

Morbo the Destroyer 04-24-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijuro (Post 258888)
thank you so much !!!
thats all i wanted to know, if i could handle a sportsbike and if i can throttle down its kW to 25
after all, i only like sportbikes, it has to look real good and yea..
of course it'll be hard to handle, but i think it'll be possible

thank you a lot for ur post

No problem. Almost all the sportbikes are now putting "Mode" switches on their bikes to let you adjust how much power you get.

If they aren't doing it so new riders can get a supersport, why is it there? Nothing else makes sense.

Seijuro 04-24-2011 03:50 PM

yea, well... 25kw (34 hp) is the maximum we are allowed to use here in germany (for the first 2 years obviously) after that i plan on dethrottling it and getting the maximum

i just thought that a sportsbike with 25kw... why shouldnt i be able to handle it? i know most people wouldnt recommend a sportsbike as firstbike, but.. i dont know, i really want one : )

and i understand having prejudices when a young person tells you about doing his license soon and then buying a sportsbike as first bike and not intending on wearing protective gear
but you have to understand, i cant wear protective gear all the time, whereever i go
i'll be very careful : ) and of course i'llb wearing a helmet and gloves yea !

and cmon, those arguments "you'll die when not wearing full protective gear" are just stupid, there'd be a law for wearing full gear then and not just a helmet
its just not possible to wear full protective gear whereever you go, for example: i couldnt even use my bike to drive to the cinema, because i'd have to wear that HOT leather-stuff... its just imppossible