Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #21
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
yea..
so you'd go on a date, in the cinema, to a party, to school or anywhere else in full protective gear.. cuz thats so fun and ur so goodlooking in it
im sure it doesnt make you look like a douchebag going to a restaurant in full leather-biker clothes : )
Nothing worse than sweaty balls when you're heading in to the restaurant or movies. Shorts will help in the Summer, but you'll need some flip-flops or Vans to wear with them.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Don't forget the Oakley's!

Don't wanna go without Eye Protection. Very Important, that "protection" thing.
I love seeing "loud pipes save lives" stickers on non-DOT helmets.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #23
Seijuro
Registered Member

kudos to me
i started a fun thread : D
Seijuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
kudos to me
i started a fun thread : D
You also may be a lesson learned for your local community too.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #25
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Seijuro .. you don't even have a motorcycle license. Get that first, then go buy your bike. Let us know what you end up with. Make sure to link in a picture of it, with you on it.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
Seijuro
Registered Member

i will do that
and even tho its still gonna take a little time, im definitely getting a sportsbike, maybe the zx-10r and then i'll post a pic with me on it and feel like great (or stupid, w/e i'll end up with )

to be completely honest i didnt even know for sure that you can wear protective gear over normal clothes oO who wouldve thought !
2 pants, hell yea ! xD

just wondering.. if i really go for the zx 10r, if i should go for the 2011 model or an earlier one, like 05-08... obviously they're way cheaper : ) and it'd be my first bike.. so probably better for me... considering i'll somehow manage to damage it anyway..

Last edited by Seijuro : 04-25-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Seijuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
pushrod
Founding Member

Seijuro,

A couple points from another Old Guy.

You cannot 'throttle back' a motorcycle. The only way to do that is to either put an electronic limiter on it, or to 'gag' the throttle linkage.

You would end up with a bike that cannot get out of its own way, because they require air and fuel to accelerate, and you are effectively 'strangling' the engine. And most bikes do not run well at lower rpm's.

Also, the authorities probably do not recognize such a practice; what would stop the rider from taking the bike home from inspection and 'opening it up' again?

PPE. No one suggested you strap on a cow to ride the bike. There are very good jackets and pants that are textile, and quite comfortable in warm weather. Good gloves, and boots that cover the ankles are also a very good idea.

The motorway is probably the safest place you'll ride. It's the 'quick trip to the store' that is the most dangerous.

And speed is not necessary to inflict serious injury.

Try this in a parking lot: Go ahead and put on a helmet first. Okay. With your hands in your front pockets, tip forward (or sideways). Keep your knees and back straight as you fall. When you get up, observe how much it hurt, and how many bits of gravel you'll have to dig out of your young skin.

Then, stand up again in the same spot. Have a 400lb (average weight of a small motorcycle) friend run into you from your blind side; and make sure he lands on you.

Once you manage to get up from that, I want you to tell us you don't need safety gear around town.

And look up the term 'debridement.' That's what you'd face every couple of days if you suffered any real 'road rash.' That is, once they managed to dig all the foreign material out of your hide.

Yes, we're 'Old Guys'. Even the younger of us have a bunch of miles behind us, and fewer biker friends than we used to. We've seen what can and tragically does happen.

Remember this, if nothing else: It doesn't matter who or what was at fault; the bike(r) loses. So do whatever you can to protect yourself.

My vote for you? The Ninja 250. Especially the new one.

Good luck, kid.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Seijuro,

You cannot 'throttle back' a motorcycle. The only way to do that is to either put an electronic limiter on it, or to 'gag' the throttle linkage.
Well, actually you can......and in many European countries they DO, with some models.

IIRC, they do it by setting the rev. limiter lower. By doing it that way, it has absolutely no impact on the performance below the new redline.
The ignition electronics must be designed to do that.....either stock or with a modification. The bikes we get on this side of the pond don't have that "feature".

In most of the EU they are serious about requiring a new rider to learn on something less than a 160 mph machine.

Alas, the plastic body work still breaks just as easily......and with too much throttle and too heavy a clutch hand, you can also still LAUNCH yourself off the back......and have the bike come down on top of you.

Oh, yea, and for the "old guys" bit........
Yes I am and proud of it too.
I got that way by NOT doing some of the stupid stuff that you are proposing.........and by listening to advice from the "old guys" that came before me.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 04-25-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Try this in a parking lot: Go ahead and put on a helmet first. Okay. With your hands in your front pockets, tip forward (or sideways). Keep your knees and back straight as you fall. When you get up, observe how much it hurt, and how many bits of gravel you'll have to dig out of your young skin.

Then, stand up again in the same spot. Have a 400lb (average weight of a small motorcycle) friend run into you from your blind side; and make sure he lands on you.

Once you manage to get up from that, I want you to tell us you don't need safety gear around town.
Good demonstration, I like that
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #30
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Try this in a parking lot:

Ride up on a 250cc, with heavy jeans, helmet, gloves, boots, and one of those jackets with all the armor in the back, shoulders, and elbows. Walk up to a hottie and say "Hey baby, how'd you like to take a ride on the wild side?" (Cue chicks laughing here).

Let's ride up to the same parking lot on a brand-new BMW S1000RR in shorts, Vans, a t-shirt and Revos. Now we're trying to keep from dropping the bike as the ladies fight for that pillion seat. May the hottest byotch win!

You've got to stop confusing the OP's issue here. It's not about riding motorcycles. It's about riding to parties and movies, getting laid, and being the envy of the losers in their Corollas and Civics. That just ain't happening on some stupid 250.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote