Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
synner
Registered Member

Default beginner advice! i read sticky!!

aside from all the gear i'd have to buy and the MSF course.. im looking to buying a bike! i remember reading an article that said ninja 250r's should be about 3000 new... so far the ninja's ive seen are 4000 new from a private seller and 3500 used in the area of south florida. I've been checking craigslist often but theres not many choices it seems! I'm not sure what a couple beginner bikes used under 3000 would be. im looking for a nice sportbike that has great mileage... it seems that 250cc's and 125cc's would be best... I really just need a good beginner bike for cheap that can save me money on gas! Hoping to have 70 mpg or so. I was looking at scooters too but it seems that the japanese brand scooters also cost a nice chunk of change too so i was thinking a bike was best. If there is a good bike i can find under 2000 that i wont just scrap later that would be great too! It's just a problem because i don't want to buy used and have to deal with alot of fixing.. advice with that would be very much appreciated too!! btw I live in south florida near miami. All help would be appreciated!! Thank you for your time!
synner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Ken, hook this guy up.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Honestly, if you can't find a used bike you want in South Florida, you're either not looking or you have unreasonable expectations. There are hundreds of them out there.

Go to Riva Motorsports in Pompano Beach and Rick Case Honda in Weston to see dozens of used bikes. Once you have an idea of what you want, start looking here:

http://www.cycletrader.com/Custom-Search/search-results?condition=U&type=Motorcycle|356953&price=1 000:2500&zip=33066&radius=50&sort=price:desc&newso rt=1

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by synner View Post
i don't want to buy used and have to deal with alot of fixing..
Not all used bikes "need a lot of fixing".

Visit all the dealers you can and ask about used.

Buy a Sunday paper and look at the ads; some people still do it the old fashioned way.

If you are halfway careful, you should be able to find a used bike that needs no mechanical work.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
synner
Registered Member

sorry if i said there are no options... on craigslist and cycle trader i cant really find a 250cc bike or 125cc bike (im fine with either a dirt bike or sport bike). I have not checked with dealers and the paper though. A guy is selling a 250cc ninja for 4g's so that seems much from what i've heard.. but i've also looked at orlando's craigslist and they seem to have more of a selection of beginner bikes. not sure if it will be worth it or not (will cost me about 100 bucks or more with gas with my car)
My expectations is just a weaker bike not looking to start on a 600cc or anything.

I also wanted to add that i know not all used require fixing.. Actually i prefer buying used above all else because of the money you save, but some repairs tend to be quite pricey on sport bikes so because I'm not so familiar with them I wouldn't want to be tricked with one that has a serious problem.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Honestly most bikes out there for sale are unwanted and are more likely to have been neglected then abused. People buy them, then decide that riding really isnt for them, or they change to another model/style bike. If you have to travel to a larger city to look at any, call ahead & make ya a noon, 1, 2 & 3:00 appointments to look at bikes, stay on schedule & make a decision. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
I have not checked with dealers and the paper though.
Given the concerns you have expressed, a dealer might be the best route for you to take. If pressed, many will give you a short warranty (get it in writing) for things that show up in the first few weeks. 30 days is about max. for one that is out of factory warranty though.

AND.....don't narrow your search so much. Unless you are a really small framed person, there is no reason that you can't start on a "medium" sized standard or cruiser. The Ninja 500 is good but lots of plastic. There are other "naked" bikes in the 500 range too. The 600 Shadow that I have is good too.

Take your time and expand your search. The best deals are not always online. The really good deals at the dealers often don't last long, going back out the door in a week or so. If you have a multi-brand large dealer near you, visit the used bike barn often.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
synner
Registered Member

i see. Well my other concern other than it being a "medium" bike is that i'm kinda looking for a gas saver as well! I wouldnt mind getting a 500cc but a 600cc might be a bit too much for me. I'm not light but not heavy either. I weigh in right now at 175 and im 5'8 so i thought a 250cc would suffice.. even a 125cc would to be honest.. I'm not looking to go over 100 because florida has plenty of speed traps and cops that just chill and laser everyone down.. that's where I got my tickets and began to relax a little.

one of the most appealing things about bikes is getting 70+ mpg... id buy a bigger bike but it would also cost me more for the gas

Last edited by synner; 04-12-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

There aren't many motorcycles that get 70 mpg.

Many will get you in the 50's on the highway, but the high 30's /low 40's in town is probably more realistic.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
Well my other concern other than it being a "medium" bike is that i'm kinda looking for a gas saver as well! I wouldnt mind getting a 500cc but a 600cc might be a bit too much for me.

even a 125cc would to be honest..
If you really are concerned about gas mileage above all else, you need to be looking at a scooter in the 150 cc range......BUT anything that really gets 70 mpg won't keep up with traffic anywhere but in town.

You have to be practical about things in the end. I don't think a 125 cc anything will be sufficient for your situation.........except maybe as a temporary trainer.

I am aboujt 5'4" and my ideal weight is about 140 (never mind what it REALLY is). I have a 600 cc v-twin Shadow cruiser. It gets 55 mpg in town and 60-62 on the highway. It is not too much for an average person to handle. That is typical for most 500-600 mid-range bikes.

I think you would be doing yourself a dis-service by making up your mind before all the facts are in. You will have a much better feel for the situation after the MSF course.