Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   beginner advice! i read sticky!! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/18331-beginner-advice-i-read-sticky.html)

Easy Rider 2 04-12-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 258453)
If the bike doesn't "talk" to you, it's probably not the right one.

Profoundly true.

Most bikes I've had kind of whispered to me at first and then "talked" to me through my butt in the seat.

Not many things that I enjoy in life talk to me through my ass. :o

:D

synner 04-12-2011 06:09 PM

agreed! this actually helped a whole lot! I'm gonna sign up for an MSF course ASAP, but im not sure if broward county waives the skill test for the permit. is MSF the only place to take the test and afterwards just take the written test to get the license?

also i prefer sport bike looks so do all of them get 60-65 mpg? or thats a rarity?

A Star Ride 04-12-2011 07:52 PM

The liscensing varies by state, I live in VA, and it's been 16+ yrs since I went through that so I'm not sure what it is, and would likely be different. Don't be concerned with the testing, if you take & pass the MSF class the skills test will be a walk in the park.

Easy Rider 2 04-13-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synner (Post 258466)
also i prefer sport bike looks so do all of them get 60-65 mpg? or thats a rarity?

Yes most young, new riders are prone to select a first bike based on look instead of feel........and sometimes it is a BIG mistake.

For one thing, a "sport" styled bike has lots of plastic body work that breaks rather easy and is expensive to replace. Secondly, the riding position for a real sport bike isn't all that practical; they are made for just one thing: going fast in a (mostly) straight line. Insurance tends to be more expensive too.

Most any bike that is 250cc's or less should be able to squeeze out about 60 mpg. A bike that is bigger than that which gets 60 mpg is not really rare until the engine gets above 500cc's or so.

If you had really read the previous discussions about "first bikes" you probably would know all that already. It's been covered before......MANY times. 8-)

synner 04-14-2011 02:23 AM

thansk star ride!

yea im sure there was plenty of people who asked that question, but the original intent for the post was whether a ninja 250 is the better bike to start with and where is the best place to find bikes.

btw you said i might be able to get a 500 or 600cc as a first bike? because ive seen plenty of people be corrected on the forums for trying to get a 600cc sportbike?

i posted already that im 5'9 and 175 lbs. im not opposed to buying a 500-600cc bike, but i thought it was out of the question from all the people that have been corrected about it in other threads!

also im not looking for a dual purpose or cruiser... i really like sportbike styles oh and mostly naked sportbikes cuz i dont want to pay big money for fairings!

A Star Ride 04-14-2011 03:51 AM

Starting out on a 600 shadow or an intruder 800 is very different from starting out on a CBR600 or a ninja 6

Easy Rider 2 04-14-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synner (Post 258504)
btw you said i might be able to get a 500 or 600cc as a first bike? because ive seen plenty of people be corrected on the forums for trying to get a 600cc sportbike?

To elaborate a little on the previous response:

The key there is NOT the engine size but the term "sportbike", meaning one that was really designed for racing. They generally have an R or RR in the model name somewhere........and are 4 cylinder models with a redline somewhere around 11-12K RPMs.

The Ninja 500 LOOKS like a sportbike but really isn't; same for the Ninja 650.......BUT the Ninja 600 really IS a sportbike, as it has an entirely different engine.

A "real" sportbike is NOT good for a beginner. One that just LOOKS sleek because of all the plastic body work is usually just fine.......except for the potential plastic breakage.

The best choice for most first time riders is a used 250 without a lot of plastic body work.

Next comes the Ninja 250 (with a plastic body).
Next comes a single or twin cylinder bike of 800 cc's or less.
And the best one is whichever one FEELS the best to you.......NOT the one that looks the best.

4 cylinder sportbikes are NOT a good first choice.

Clear now ??

synner 04-14-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 258512)
To elaborate a little on the previous response:

The key there is NOT the engine size but the term "sportbike", meaning one that was really designed for racing. They generally have an R or RR in the model name somewhere........and are 4 cylinder models with a redline somewhere around 11-12K RPMs.

The Ninja 500 LOOKS like a sportbike but really isn't; same for the Ninja 650.......BUT the Ninja 600 really IS a sportbike, as it has an entirely different engine.

A "real" sportbike is NOT good for a beginner. One that just LOOKS sleek because of all the plastic body work is usually just fine.......except for the potential plastic breakage.

The best choice for most first time riders is a used 250 without a lot of plastic body work.

Next comes the Ninja 250 (with a plastic body).
Next comes a single or twin cylinder bike of 800 cc's or less.
And the best one is whichever one FEELS the best to you.......NOT the one that looks the best.

4 cylinder sportbikes are NOT a good first choice.

Clear now ??

very clear! I have a great idea of what to look for now! I really do appreciate all the help! I do need to take the MSF course asap before i can look for bikes, but I've learned alot more than i expected! Thank you for all the effort everyone!

also i found this deal on craigslist. 2003 Suzuki SV650
is it a good deal? only thing is that the fact that the front is from a busa so im thinking it was hit?

A Star Ride 04-14-2011 04:31 PM

In relation to sport or not sport..... a sportbike typically will be a 4 cyl engine & lighter weight bike v/s a cruiser with double the displacement (engine size) but only 2 cyl & more overall weight. Different designs for different needs.

synner 04-15-2011 06:41 AM

yep i understand now! umm i just found a yellow 03 ninja 10k miles for 1700.. it would be dumb to buy it before i get my license im guessing though?