Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
danielvictor
Registered Member

Default kawasaki 650r

I will be taking the msf course this month, and I am planning on getting the 650r, lot of ppl recommend 250r and I decided to get it, however, I heard the 650r is somewhat a beginner bike. I will be riding in the freeway constantly since I live far away from the city. The main reason I wanted to switch up to 650r. Any feedback or advice will be appreciate

I also look at yamaha fz6r and kawa er6n as well. any recommendation.
danielvictor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
danielvictor
Registered Member

No I don't have any need for superbike or literbike, I want to ride for enjoyment purpose. The freeway where I live usually is around 60-70 mph, it will put lot of stress on little ninja 250r. Do you think the 250r is good enough? I live in Minnesota where bike here is expensive, the 250r cost usually at 3k, I haven't found anything less then that. Between the er6n and 650r, what is your take on it?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"I will be taking the msf course this month...the 650r is somewhat a beginner bike"

Seems like a match made in heaven to me. Besides, 650 cc is hardly a minibike. It'll have all the go you need for the highway. Maybe 0 to 60 will be 6 seconds instead of 3, but so what?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The Ninja 250 does not have a problem with freeway speeds. The rpm's are high at those speeds, but you can reduce those by changing the rear sprocket. Even running at high rpm's, it'll still run for hours without a problem. You could also get the slightly bigger Ninja 500.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Oh yeah, danielvictor: I forgot to mention - buy "Used", rather than new.
AND I will add: Stay OFF the Interstates except for short stretches until you have a few thousand miles or several months experience under your belt. Really.

If you have a real need for freeway travel, a 250 probably won't cut it; even the Ninja long term.

Study a map. You might be amazed to find other good roads leading "into town" that are much less stressfull........and don't really take that much more time either.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
More like 4.2 seconds instead of 2.9 for an SS, or 1.8 for a Liter.....
Picky picky picky. It was a metaphor...

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
danielvictor
Registered Member

I know the 250r is a good bike to start on but the 650r is an ok bike for beginner, it's not the best but there are worst option out there. A user mention about riding the interstate require lot of experience and riding the small road would be better. I will definetely try on the 250r, the 650r and er6n to see what I like. I live in Minnesota, the winter here last 9 months so time is short for riding bike and to make it worst, it's hard to buy bike here because not lot of people own bike here. I include the map of where I will be riding for the sake of it.
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielvictor View Post
I include the map of where I will be riding for the sake of it.
OK, that's cool.

Just for grins, right below the B destination box is "route options" or something like that. It will allow you to check "avoid highways" (meaning Interstates or Freeways). That adds a lot of time to your trip......and the actual time may be even longer.

I assume this route is your commute to work ??
I do NOT encourage a new rider to commute to work his first riding year........unless he is the boss.......or otherwise has flexibility with things such as arriving late !!! Stuff happens.

How long have you lived in Minnesota ?? With the proper gear, you should be able to extend your riding season to about 5 months.......BUT that doesn't mean commuting as it can be downright COLD at 7 AM......even sometimes in the "summer".

My wife is from northern Iowa, not that far from you, so I know a bit about the weather there.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
danielvictor
Registered Member

My wife is from northern Iowa, not that far from you, so I know a bit about the weather there.

oh hey cool, so you kind know of what I am talking about. I ride my bike for enjoyment purpose for now so I won't be riding it to work until I get good at it. I did check the routing for no highway but it take me around and around, I guess I have to do that for now. I don't like to ride when it is cold or remotely cold. I can't wait until May 16 for my MSF course, I am still debating over the issue of 650r or 250r, I wish they got those bike for me test ride at MSF.