Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
isaac.holstein
Registered Member

Default Please help! lol

Okay I've been wanting a bike for years and I've been thinking seriously about getting one with my next military bonus. The problem is...I'm 6'8 and want a sport bike but I can't afford a busa which looks like the biggest bike around. I REALLY like the Yamaha R1 and 6 but I need a seasoned riders opinion that could help me out here.
isaac.holstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Take Yoga or get into S&M, I'm 6'6 and dont fit on any sportbike. Additionally if your new to riding you couldnt make a worse choice to learn on. Read the new riders sticky (pack a lunch) and take it from there. Personally I highly recommend the KLR650 to learn on for vertically enhanced individuals. Ride that for a year then decide what you want and what you fit on. As for sporty bikes for big boys the BMW K line isnt so bad. I have an older K1200RS and my buddy has the K1200S. The S is more in line with the 'busa yet I can ride it for more than 5 min.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
isaac.holstein
Registered Member

Thanks I'm gonna check em out right now.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

You don't need a bike with that kind of power as a first ride. If you go sport move to sport tour or old superstandard. Most sportbikes will just have your knees too high for comfort. A used Triumph Sprint ST or Tiger, Honda VFR, Kawasaki ZRX, Suzuki Bandit 1250S, Yamaha FZ1 (1st generation is my fav and you can buy lowers for them). That's the direction I'd point you if you were my customer.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
isaac.holstein
Registered Member

While looking at the FZ1 I came across the FZ8. I feel like its the best match so far. Smaller engine, cheaper, better looking to me. I'm not just going to make a split decision. Im lookin at next winter or fall..so research is gonna be done. But every opinion helps! thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Isaac,

As 12er said, you are going to have problems finding a bike that gives you some legroom. Few sportbikes have any legroom, as the pegs are high on the bike for cornering clearance.

The Dual-Purpose bikes tend to have a more 'relaxed' ergo, hence the KLR reference. Others like that would be the "Wee-Strom" 650, and the Suzuki DL-600(IIRC). Triumph has a new bike out that is fantastic, and would fit you well (and last you for years!), the Tiger 800XC.

Plus, the DPs tend to be tall seated, so that would suit you as well.

Good luck! And, thank you for your service in our Armed Forces!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If want to spend some money you can find an older BMW GS model. They're perfect for tall riders, otherwise as 12er said a KLR or probably a V-Strom would work. sportbikes for you are just not going to be an option unless it's something like a mid 80's Ninja. I rode an '86 ZX1000R Ninja for 3 or 4 years and fit on that quite well, the newer ones have shrunk considerably I'm afraid.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member

How's that new GT treating you Sarnali?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
How's that new GT treating you Sarnali?

Lovin' it! I'm getting the seats redone in medium gray and black leather by Russell at the end of the month, been shopping around for a 49L top case for it....

I've only been able to put a few hundred miles on it because I had to get a chunk of my colon removed. I'm home now recouping but it'll be another week or two till I can ride anywhere. I'm totally pumped about the bikes though, I think the GT and GS pretty well cover the spectrum of the kind of riding I do. Looking forward to putting some miles on them both.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Very nice very nice, Good luck on your recovery. Your pic is what I'm shooting for, but I want an 800GS, my shins cant take owning a 1200GS.