Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
grebber
Registered Member

Default First bike for a big man

Just like the title says. Im about 6'4" and about 300 lbs. i have never rode a street bike except a ninja 250 in my high school parking lot about 19 years ago lol. i have had a few dirt bikes but mostly putted around with them.
anyways i have been looking at the road stars but is a 650 too small for me? i plan on riding solo only for quite awhile and i love the look of the star cruzers.
what does everyone suggest for a larger mans first bike? keep in mind im nervous of having "too much" bike.
thanks
grebber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Take the MSF- first. Honestly, what kind of riding are you into. I've been a street rider for 27yrs and bought my first KLR just a while ago to be able to play on fire roads. I'm 6' and 265lbs. My legs are a tad short for the clearance but after 15yrs of going fast I decided to slow down and look at what's around me. I wouldn't worry about cc size for than fit. You won't keep the first one too long anyway. Maybe a few years and you'll either add another or sell for something different. Keep the first bike purchase under the $5000 mark. That way when you drop it to the ground it won't be too painful to see. No matter the bike with your size you will be altering the suspension a bit. Heavier springs and oil in the forks and maybe even a better rear shock. If you liked the play bikes then I would suggest a Dual Sport like the KLR or maybe even a Used 2000-2006 Triumph Tiger. Sport Touring wise I'd say a nice BMW K bike from the middle 90's or an R bike from the late 90s early 2000s. If you can find it a Honda PC800 or old middle 90s ST1100. Cruisers are tricky becasue of your inseam. You'll have to sit on many to see what fits. Triumph's Speedmaster or America would probably work. But I keep thinking that a used KLR will get you dual service and you'll be able to go everywhere- just not as fast as on everything else.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
grebber
Registered Member

i'm definitely a take it slow and cruz sort of guy. i have absolutely no interest in going fast. i want to ride to work and back which is like a mile and a half away. be able to just hop on my bike sit back and enjoy the scenery ive been missing in my car.
so would you say a 650 road star would not be a good idea?

Last edited by grebber : 04-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

I think your inseam is the biggest issue not the size of the motor. The V-star is a fairly compact cruiser. Kawi Vulcan 900, The Suzuki Blvd series with the 800cc motor, or the Triumphs I was talking about. BUT go sit on a used Suzuki DL650 for a minute. They call it an adventure tour bike, but it's a real all-arounder with leg room.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
grebber
Registered Member

thank you for your suggestions. im checking into all of these bikes atm but i have noticed that alot of the bikes look more like sport bikes like a ninja. nothing wrong with these bikes but is there something more along the lines of a cruzer type to start out on? no disrespect on what you suggest, im just dont see myself on a bike like them.

after viewing more i see the vulcan and some others do not look like ninjas. i guess i was just hoping to get a road star

Last edited by grebber : 04-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

With exception to the Suzuki DL650 V-strom all the bikes are cruisers. The DL is Suzuki's version of a, adventure tour/sport tour mount. A V-Star 900 would probably suit you well. You'll spend around $7-8k for a used one becasue they aren't that old of a model. The purpose of the $5k or under request is because you will eventually break it and it doesn't sting as bad when you break a $5k bike vs a $10k bike. But good luck to you and I hope you find a mount that fits you well.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
12er
Founding Member

I'm 6'6 310 and I dont know a cruiser out there that is comfy for me. Low seat heights and long legs dont mix well. Always remember that relaxed position your sitting in on the showroom floor does not have a 70mph head wind blowing your legs apart and causing you to hold on for dear life. Also your lower back takes a beating on most cruisers without some forward lean. I'm a big KLR fan as thats what I started on when I got back into riding 12 years ago, and have missed it every day since I sold it. Great bike for the vertically enhanced to get back into the sport. Cheap to buy, run and insure while still a blast to ride. If you drop it they are pretty much unscathed when you pick them back up.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

You don't need a "big" bike. A TU250 will move a "standard" size rider and passenger along ok. Maybe not fast, but fast enough.

Just find an older bike that you like and buy it. Older because you don't want to invest in a new bike till you have a few years under your belt. You like because what good is it buying a bike that doesn't get you excited?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Pick one that you like.

You said that you like cruisers and frankly with your height you will have no problem with just about any bike as far as it being too tall. Well except for the KTM adventurer it is the only bike I know that is too tall for every human on the planet.
What you may have a problem with is leg room. I do not like cruisers and I am around your height. Some of the cruisers I have ridden where just too cramped for me. The Vulcan 500, Rebel 250, and S40 where all just too cramped for me to enjoy ridding. So sit on a few and see how they feel to you. The other down side to cruisers IMHO is weight. Yes they all have a low center of gravity but they tend to be heavy. Since you do not want a super sport and it sounds like you like classsic looks might I suggest you take a look at some of the Triumphs? The Bonneville line are standards and have the classic good looks of the Triumphs of old. Another substandard style bike that you may find used that would be a good starter might be the Suzuki GS500. They still make them but now with a full fairing as the GSF500. The motors are bone simple and have not changed in like 20 years. If you find a good one you could probably pick it up for around 2k ride it for a year or two and sell it for the same price. They are also pretty roomy and handle pretty good. Hey but get a used bike you like and ride it. Take the MSF course, have fun, and be safe.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
grebber
Registered Member

thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I'm getting some great advise on my first bike. The ultimate bike for me is the victory line of bikes. especially the vegas jackpot. now i haven't sat on one so i hope the victory's are not too small as well. since there on the higher end of the price range i wont be getting one for some time until im very comforable on a bike..
I sat on the vstar 650 and i can see how cramping could be an issue. the stock handle bars seem like the would hit my knees on sharper turns. this could be changed im sure. but what i didnt like in the "foot boards?" instead of pegs. sure there nice but it seemed like i would have to lift my leg some just to hit the back brake. could pegs be put on? is there such a thing as a relocator or something of the pegs, shifter and break? to move it further away?
maybe im just screwed. thing is i understand what your all saying about a cheap bike for the first one but i got to like it or riding wont be as fun

Last edited by grebber : 04-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.