Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
arcrap
Registered Member

Default learning to ride + vacation?

hello
i recently got my motorcycle learner's permit here in nyc. while i grew up on the back of my dad's bike, i have never driven a bike myself and want to learn. i know the standard options- driving school, msf school- but what i really want is to go somewhere outside the city and do some kind of full immersion training- like a vacation. does anyone know of this being offered anywhere? i have found this kind of thing offered for dirt bikes, but nothing for regular street motorcycles.
any thoughts appreciated.
arcrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcrap View Post
but what i really want is to go somewhere outside the city and do some kind of full immersion training-

i have found this kind of thing offered for dirt bikes, but nothing for regular street motorcycles.
any thoughts appreciated.
You won't find any such thing......and if you DID it would not be as effective as you might imagine.

Mind/body coordination is not something that can be force fed. It takes time. You can't learn to play the piano GOOD in a matter of days, for instance, and you can't learn to ride a bike GOOD like that either.

Do the MSF first......then go to a dirt bike school, if you can find one.....and then resign yourself to the fact that it will take MANY weeks or months to become really proficient, not days.

A certain amount of confidence is required to master something new but those who are OVER-confident with something new that is inherently dangerous often don't finish the training.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
arcrap
Registered Member

yeah, i will probably end up doing the msf course.
as a nervous, tiny female, i was just hoping for an environment that was a little less 'assembly line' than those msf courses where i could spend some time with a bike without feeling too much performance anxiety. i would certainly not expect to know everything in a week, i'd just like to get the best start possible!
arcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcrap View Post
yeah, i will probably end up doing the msf course.
as a nervous, tiny female, i was just hoping for an environment that was a little less 'assembly line' than those msf courses where i could spend some time with a bike without feeling too much performance anxiety.
Well......that's somewhat different than your "total immersion" idea in the first post. Polar opposites, I'd think.

Most MSF instructors are very nice and helpful, if you listen and pay attention, and I'm sure you will not be the first "nervous, tiny female" that they have dealt with.

If you can afford it, look around for a private trainer. That might work into your vacation idea.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Sicilian
Registered Member

Not sure if it is offered where you are at, but the Harley Davidson Dealership where I took my MSF class all day Sat and Sun had an optional Custom class for people that had never been on a bike before.

Basically it was additional one on one time with an instructor on the bike at the riding range that they use at the dealership to get you comfortable without pressure from being in a group setting. It was something like $69 more for several hours of beginner one on one training on the bike.

After you have the one on one time you then join in the regular class schedule with everyone else to complete the standard MSF training both classroom and range as a group..

I considered this option since I'd never been on a bike before, but in the end I decided to just go for it with the regular group lesson and was fine.

Typically the MSF classes are a mix of newbies, mid life crisis types like myself and skilled riders just out to get their M endorsement on their license and so they take their time and go fairly slow.

Last edited by Sicilian : 03-09-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Sicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it is geared towards beginners, and not exclusively trials bikes. They can tailor the course to whatever you need, including some street riding.

Beginning riders | Trials Training Center