Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #71
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredz View Post
The salesman said that the jet kit was put in because the previous owner put in larger carbs to fit the performance vance and hines pipes. Not sure about that but it wasn't confidence inspiring.
I suspect that the salesman is full of crap......but I repeat my recommendation to pass on something like that.

Another question we can't answer........how long it takes.
Every dealer is different and every bike might be different.

If you question EVERY little detail of the process, you will be crazy before it's over. It's not like walking into McDonalds and walking out with a burger.

By the time you arrange financing and insurance, two weeks may very well be reasonable.......regardless of what they need to do to the bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #72
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
I suspect that the salesman is full of crap......but I repeat my recommendation to pass on something like that.

Another question we can't answer........how long it takes.
Every dealer is different and every bike might be different.

If you question EVERY little detail of the process, you will be crazy before it's over. It's not like walking into McDonalds and walking out with a burger.

By the time you arrange financing and insurance, two weeks may very well be reasonable.......regardless of what they need to do to the bike.
I agree about the vt750, doesn't sound right.

I understand its not a simple process but what they will mainly do is the financing, I am responsible for the registration, insurance and pretty much anything else.

Just trying to get the most out of my $2800 of insurance :P
Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #73
acecycleins
Founding Member

Shredz- your insurance requirements are staggering. If you were in GA I could have you rolling for under $500 annual- probably closer to $400 and you'd get most all the bells n whistles. If you'd like to talk PM me with a number and I will help guide you to on what to ask and such for insurance. I am not quite familiar with Canadian insurance law, but it seems you must purchase separate coverages similar to the way they do in Great Britain.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #74
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Shredz- your insurance requirements are staggering.
This may be another way to encourage young, new riders to get a smaller bike. I'm thinking he should pay attention.

There are several 250's on the market that really ride pretty good......as long as you stay off the freeways, that is.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #75
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
This may be another way to encourage young, new riders to get a smaller bike. I'm thinking he should pay attention.

There are several 250's on the market that really ride pretty good......as long as you stay off the freeways, that is.

They are really nice but in my area to get to work and such freeways must be used so I would prefer to have a bit more power so stay a bit safer in higher speed situations. Even a kawasaki EX-500 would probably do.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #76
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Even a kawasaki EX-500 would probably do.
It would. You really should consider it.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #77
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
It would. You really should consider it.
Better than the katana 600? Both are about the same price used here. Sat on the bandit again and it wasn't as comfortable as the other bikes.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #78
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Better than the katana 600?
Yes......no........maybe.

There really aren't any "bad" models of bikes on the market lately.

It's all about what you prefer and what fits you, and your circumstances, best. You are wanting someone here to tell you "Yes, A is better than B." and if someone actually does that, you would be wise NOT to listen.

Given your insurance problem, I think that you should go for whatever might save you the biggest chunk of money on insurance; that might be something as small as a 250, then you can save that extra coin toward a bigger bike in a year or so.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #79
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes......no........maybe.

There really aren't any "bad" models of bikes on the market lately.

It's all about what you prefer and what fits you, and your circumstances, best. You are wanting someone here to tell you "Yes, A is better than B." and if someone actually does that, you would be wise NOT to listen.

Given your insurance problem, I think that you should go for whatever might save you the biggest chunk of money on insurance; that might be something as small as a 250, then you can save that extra coin toward a bigger bike in a year or so.

I definitely agree that its all about preference and what fits me. Why I ask is to find out if there is any detail that may not be as obvious that I might not be aware of. For example one model might have had problems with the stock engine from 2003-2004 and isnt a smart buy or one bike is known to require alot less maintenance than the other.

Just trying to make sure I make the smart purchase.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #80
ken88
Registered Member

I want one