Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   First bike advice (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/17633-first-bike-advice.html)

Shredz 02-27-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 256247)
I would not be afraid to get the Honda cruiser that has a jet kit and an aftermarket exhaust. If it doesn't run exactly the way you like, you can always have it adjusted, for not that much money. And you did see that bike at a dealer, right? Plus, if it's a used bike at a dealer, they should be able to let you take a test drive.

Ya, Its really between the Honda VT750 and the katana 600/750. I should be able to test them both out. Appearently the original owner also changed some of the cables on the honda as well. I'd really like to know exactly which cables and why.

Easy Rider 2 02-28-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shredz (Post 256253)
I'd really like to know exactly which cables and why.

No you wouldn't.
What you don't know is what ELSE he messed with that might show up as a problem later.
I strongly suggest that you PASS on the "modified" Honda........although I would strongly recommend one that is still stock.

acecycleins 02-28-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian964 (Post 256224)
In my experience it is cheaper getting motorcycle insurance quotes online. Some of the bigger companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare quotes online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better.

I recommend this site for online comparing: Top Insurance Companies | quotes-center.com

Federal Law governs that prices available to the consumer vs going through an agent be quoted at the exact same price. The reason you contact an agent is because most people don't understand insurance and it's rules and underwriters are usually not as forthcoming with information as agents are. We also encourage you keep in contact often with your changes and updates becasue AGENTS will move a customer from underwriter to underwriter if the prices dictate it's best for the customer. Direct insurers do no such thing. SO, in short- you're wrong in your assumption.

Shredz 02-28-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 256260)
No you wouldn't.
What you don't know is what ELSE he messed with that might show up as a problem later.
I strongly suggest that you PASS on the "modified" Honda........although I would strongly recommend one that is still stock.

I will take a look around at stock hondas, if I can get them to fully check the bike for work done to it I might still consider it but then again the chances they would are slim.

Shredz 03-01-2011 12:51 AM

Few more questions about purchasing your first motorcycle in general. When you buy your bike you need to ride it home obviously. Do you set up the insurance before you buy the bike or afterwords? When you buy a bike and you need to use financing can you walk into a dealership and purchase the bike or does it take a day or 2 for your financing to be accepted or declined? You obviously need to get a license plate if its your first motorcycle so would you being that with you and do your registration after?

Probably stupid questions to most of you but I thought I would try to be prepared and informed as possible.

pplassm 03-01-2011 06:07 AM

Shredz, most us are filty Americans, unfamiliar with your civilied Canadian ways. I do not know what procedures you will encounter up there in the frozen tundra.

As far as insurance goes, I had heard that Canadian bike insurance was costly, but that's outrageous. You guys need to go Egyptian on the Gov't or something.

Easy Rider 2 03-01-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shredz (Post 256306)
When you buy your bike you need to ride it home obviously.

Not necessarily.

There are several advantages to buying from a dealer.
One is that they do all the title and registration paper work.
Another is that they can deliver it, if you need that.
A third is that they can arrange financing, if you need that......but usually at a slightly higher cost than you could get on your own.
Lastly, if you immediately find someting wrong, they will usually make it right.......usually.

I would never ride without insurance. You should get that after you have a solid agreement to buy but before you actually take posession......or while it's yours but sitting at the dealer or in your garage, having been delivered on a trailer.

The above is how it works "south of the border" so there are some ASSumptions involved for the GWN. :)

Sicilian 03-01-2011 09:11 AM

Generally the dealers insurance policy can cover you for 48 hours or so to allow you to get your own insurance on the bike unless you buy it and then make insurance arrangements ahead of time before you pick it up. This allows you to walk in and buy a bike quickly the same day, take it home and get coverage the next day.

The dealer gives you a temporary paper tag that day until you get the new metal ones sent to you, or they transfer your old bikes tags to the new one .

Easy Rider 2 03-01-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicilian (Post 256322)
Generally the dealers insurance policy can cover you for 48 hours or so to allow you to get your own insurance on the bike .......

That doesn't sound right to me.

Your own auto/truck policy MIGHT cover you for a few days but I strongly doubt that any insurance covering the dealer will extend to unknown third parties out of their control.

I am not a lawyer and I'm betting that Sicilian isn't either......but I know that you shouldn't take any advice like that from the net without checking it out for yourself first. ;)

At the very least, it's gonna vary by state and by the specific insurance company involved.

The_AirHawk 03-01-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 256324)
That doesn't sound right to me.

Your own auto/truck policy MIGHT cover you for a few days but I strongly doubt that any insurance covering the dealer will extend to unknown third parties out of their control.

I am not a lawyer and I'm betting that Sicilian isn't either......but I know that you shouldn't take any advice like that from the net without checking it out for yourself first. ;)

At the very least, it's gonna vary by state and by the specific insurance company involved.

I concur. Don't make an assumption - that makes an Ass out of U and Umption.....