Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #41
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Keeping your first purchase under $3500 will cause a lot less stress when you accidentally drop it at the gas station. So, you're good.

The 3000$ is for 1 years insurance alone in ontario. A GSX750F or the bandit are another 4500 but I can pay that off over a few years unlike the three grand for the insurance.
Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #42
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredz View Post
A jet kit is suppose to make the engine run more smoothly by letting larger quantities of gasoline into the engine I believe?

PS Does almost 3000$ a year seem like a reasonable cost for a novice biker? Probably just because of where I am. I've heard its alot cheaper in the US.
A jet kit is necessary IF, and only if, other changes have been made that causes the engine to run too lean (not enough gas). Simply changing the pipes often does NOT make that much of a difference. Changing the intake to a less restricted filter almost always DOES, as does changing both.

The problem comes in when a newbie "mechanic" tries to make the changes without any real grasp on what he is doing.......or any equipment to measure the results. Often the results aren't ideal; sometimes it's worse than no jet change at all. Almost nobody even mentions an "exhaust gas analyzer" anymore but it can be a valuable tool for carb work.

There are various different sizes of jets and no two bikes are exactly alike. Most of the time, a change based on advice from others who have done it works out good; sometimes it doesn't.

$3000 a year.......for what ?? I don't think you said what you intended there.
[edit] I see that's for insurance. Even with the exchange rate, that's outrageous. You may have to go for liability only. Your age and the type of bike might be working against you but do shop around.

I don't think there are any "bad" bikes on your short list.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 02-27-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #43
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
A jet kit is necessary IF, and only if, other changes have been made that causes the engine to run too lean (not enough gas). Simply changing the pipes often does NOT make that much of a difference. Changing the intake to a less restricted filter almost always DOES, as does changing both.

The problem comes in when a newbie "mechanic" tries to make the changes without any real grasp on what he is doing.......or any equipment to measure the results. Often the results aren't ideal; sometimes it's worse than no jet change at all. Almost nobody even mentions an "exhaust gas analyzer" anymore but it can be a valuable tool for carb work.

There are various different sizes of jets and no two bikes are exactly alike. Most of the time, a change based on advice from others who have done it works out good; sometimes it doesn't.

$3000 a year.......for what ?? I don't think you said what you intended there.
[edit] I see that's for insurance. Even with the exchange rate, that's outrageous. You may have to go for liability only. Your age and the type of bike might be working against you but do shop around.

I don't think there are any "bad" bikes on your short list.
I might stay away from that honda then. I really don't want to deal with a bike that has mystery work done to it.

Its about $3000 a year for only liability. Also the only time the insurance gets much lower is if I'm riding a 250cc bike but its still at about $1500.

brian964 I really appreciate the link but its only USA unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #44
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Its about $3000 a year for only liability. Also the only time the insurance gets much lower is if I'm riding a 250cc bike but its still at about $1500.
You must be in that dreaded 18-26 age range....and/or getting quotes on what they consider a "sport" bike.......or have a bad driving history.

I know nothing about Canadian insurance rates but my gut feeling is that ALL THREE of the above factors would have to apply (young guy with a bad record on a sport bike) to get a liability only rate like that.

If none of that applies, then I think there is something wrong with the picture you paint.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #45
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
You must be in that dreaded 18-26 age range....and/or getting quotes on what they consider a "sport" bike.......or have a bad driving history.

I know nothing about Canadian insurance rates but my gut feeling is that ALL THREE of the above factors would have to apply (young guy with a bad record on a sport bike) to get a liability only rate like that.

If none of that applies, then I think there is something wrong with the picture you paint.
I'm 21 have perfect driving history and the bikes I had quoted are cruisers and street bikes. Sport bikes are 400% more expensive than normal bikes. For me to get even a ZZR600 I would pay the exact same insurance rate as if I had bought a Hayabusa, 8000-10 000 was my cheapest quote for a "Sport" bike. Not kidding.

Just another reason I wanna live in the states.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #46
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm 21 have perfect driving history and the bikes I had quoted are cruisers and street bikes. Sport bikes are 400% more expensive than normal bikes. For me to get even a ZZR600 I would pay the exact same insurance rate as if I had bought a Hayabusa,
"Sport" bike or not, both those you mentioned are high horsepower rated bikes. The ZZR at higher RPMs and the Hayabusa just in brute force. Neither one is a cruiser OR a street bike.

Given your situation, you might have to ride something "less" than what you really want for a few years.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
"Sport" bike or not, both those you mentioned are high horsepower rated bikes. The ZZR at higher RPMs and the Hayabusa just in brute force. Neither one is a cruiser OR a street bike.

Given your situation, you might have to ride something "less" than what you really want for a few years.

I'm fine with a bandit 650 or honda vt750 to be honest. Ideally a GSX650F but those are hard to come by. The katana 600 might be a cheap bike to rack up some experience with for a few years too and its easy on insurance.

After a few years I can hop on a muscle cruiser or a real sport bike like a CBR600.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #48
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
After a few years I can hop on a muscle cruiser or a real sport bike like a CBR600.
After a few years, you may realize that you need neither.

I've been at it for 40+ years and never on anything bigger than 600.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #49
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
After a few years, you may realize that you need neither.

I've been at it for 40+ years and never on anything bigger than 600.
Sounds like motorcycle nirvana

I would probably use the money to customize my bike then
Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #50
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I would not be afraid to get the Honda cruiser that has a jet kit and an aftermarket exhaust. If it doesn't run exactly the way you like, you can always have it adjusted, for not that much money. And you did see that bike at a dealer, right? Plus, if it's a used bike at a dealer, they should be able to let you take a test drive.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote