Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #31
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Unless you plan on liability only on this three bikes it's not worth the investment. As for your Honda vs Bandit. Every guy here would choose the Bandit for long haul riding hands down. It's a great all arounder.
Chain vs Shaft- Chain is lighter, better power to the ground ratio and easy to change sprockets for track or drive ratio. Shaft- cost very little to maintain, weighs more and makes less power to the ground. It's a personal choice really. I like shaft bikes but currently own a chain bike. I've owned more shaft bikes than chain and prefer them overall.
I see what your saying on the 3 mentioned. The chain vs shaft comparison also makes sense.

The bandit is a great bike and I found the zx600 to be quite comfortable as well. If I put some travel bags on either they would probably make great sport touring bikes.

The honda is still a good choice if I want more comfortable 2 up and probably the cheapest insurance.
Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredz View Post
I see what your saying on the 3 mentioned. The chain vs shaft comparison also makes sense.

The bandit is a great bike and I found the zx600 to be quite comfortable as well. If I put some travel bags on either they would probably make great sport touring bikes.

The honda is still a good choice if I want more comfortable 2 up and probably the cheapest insurance.
In your age group the cost of insurance between the two should be within $100 or so annual. The Honda will give years of fine service, but the Bandit will be a bike you can keep a lifetime.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #33
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
In your age group the cost of insurance between the two should be within $100 or so annual. The Honda will give years of fine service, but the Bandit will be a bike you can keep a lifetime.
I went out again to have another look at another dealer. Sat on the honda and it was very comfortable, had some interesting aesthetic features such as a custom paint job and Vance and Hines pipes with jet kit.

I also got an opportunity to sit on a Kawasaki ZZR600 which I liked alot, a suzuki Katana 600 which was comfortable but was kind of odd looking from the front and the Yamaha YZF600R which I thought was also very comfortable and in great shape. I was told that the zzr600 was considered a full sport bike on the insurance because it was the hottest of the three but the yamaha and the suzuki were only considered as sport tourers so they were much cheaper from an insurance perspective and not as powerful.

Not a big fan of the katana but the yzf seems like a very comfortable bike as does the bandito. The ZZR600 is listed as a street bike by kawasaki so I'm not sure why it would be more expensive than the other two but I suppose getting some insurance quotes couldnt hurt.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #34
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you like the Honda cruiser, get it. The cost of insurance is much less than a ZZR. It's also a lot less likely to kill you when you accidentally blip the throttle.

A Bandit 650 is a good, solid standard bike.

The ZZR and the YZF are comparable bikes. And both are carbureted. The ZZR is about 40 pounds lighter, though, which can be a plus or minus depending on how you want to use the bike. If you're not an experienced rider, you shouldn't be on either one.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
If you like the Honda cruiser, get it. The cost of insurance is much less than a ZZR. It's also a lot less likely to kill you when you accidentally blip the throttle.

A Bandit 650 is a good, solid standard bike.

The ZZR and the YZF are comparable bikes. And both are carbureted. The ZZR is about 40 pounds lighter, though, which can be a plus or minus depending on how you want to use the bike. If you're not an experienced rider, you shouldn't be on either one.

Fair enough so

Honda Vt750 least likely to kill me

Bandit 650/ZX600 solid standard bikes.

YZF/ZZR most likely to send me into a telephone pole

I see.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #36
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredz View Post
I went out again to have another look at another dealer. Sat on the honda and it was very comfortable, had some interesting aesthetic features such as a custom paint job and Vance and Hines pipes with jet kit.

I also got an opportunity to sit on a Kawasaki ZZR600 which I liked alot, a suzuki Katana 600 which was comfortable but was kind of odd looking from the front and the Yamaha YZF600R which I thought was also very comfortable and in great shape. I was told that the zzr600 was considered a full sport bike on the insurance because it was the hottest of the three but the yamaha and the suzuki were only considered as sport tourers so they were much cheaper from an insurance perspective and not as powerful.

Not a big fan of the katana but the yzf seems like a very comfortable bike as does the bandito. The ZZR600 is listed as a street bike by kawasaki so I'm not sure why it would be more expensive than the other two but I suppose getting some insurance quotes couldnt hurt.
DO NOT listen to a salesman tell you about insurance catagories for bikes. Call your insurer first. The Katana in the US is marketed as an entry level sport ride but the insurance industry understands its target and list it in most cases like a nekked sport so the rates are much lower. NO company will list a YZF bike as a sporttour or nekked sport. The ZZR here is listed at sporttour with Progressive, PSIC and AMIG but everyone else will consider it a true supersport machine because it's basically a third generation ZX6r with different plastic.
In the end the VT will give you the best mileage, the lowest cost to maintain, the cheapest to insure and endles miles of fun. But if you chose to step into a st I still suggest the Bandit as it's reliable, you can push it pretty hard, it's easy to maintain and there's always a resale market for it.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
DO NOT listen to a salesman tell you about insurance catagories for bikes. Call your insurer first. The Katana in the US is marketed as an entry level sport ride but the insurance industry understands its target and list it in most cases like a nekked sport so the rates are much lower. NO company will list a YZF bike as a sporttour or nekked sport. The ZZR here is listed at sporttour with Progressive, PSIC and AMIG but everyone else will consider it a true supersport machine because it's basically a third generation ZX6r with different plastic.
In the end the VT will give you the best mileage, the lowest cost to maintain, the cheapest to insure and endles miles of fun. But if you chose to step into a st I still suggest the Bandit as it's reliable, you can push it pretty hard, it's easy to maintain and there's always a resale market for it.
Very good info.

Just called up a bunch of different insurance agencies.

Its down to the VT750 or the bandit.

I dont feel like paying 8000-13000 insurance on a zzr or yzf...

Last edited by Shredz : 02-25-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #38
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
If you like the Honda cruiser, get it.
I would agree with that, except in this specific case.

Unless you are an experienced mechanic, you should never, NEVER buy a bike that's been "messed with" without an extensive test ride....never.

The bike might not run right and not having any previous experience with that model, you wouldn't know the difference.

I have a cousin (I just found out) who has a beautiful white Shadow 750.
Alas, it has a "hyper-charger" on it and and she reports having a hard time keeping up with her riding friends.......just holding the speed limit.
Things like that make me sick.

I wish I lived closer to her so I could help make it right........before she trades it off for something else.

I generally advise people to not buy any bike without a test ride but in some cases, it appears that isn't possible. If you don't get a test ride, at least get a written 7-day return warranty.......incase it is messed up.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #39
Shredz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
I would agree with that, except in this specific case.

Unless you are an experienced mechanic, you should never, NEVER buy a bike that's been "messed with" without an extensive test ride....never.

The bike might not run right and not having any previous experience with that model, you wouldn't know the difference.

I have a cousin (I just found out) who has a beautiful white Shadow 750.
Alas, it has a "hyper-charger" on it and and she reports having a hard time keeping up with her riding friends.......just holding the speed limit.
Things like that make me sick.

I wish I lived closer to her so I could help make it right........before she trades it off for something else.

I generally advise people to not buy any bike without a test ride but in some cases, it appears that isn't possible. If you don't get a test ride, at least get a written 7-day return warranty.......incase it is messed up.
You make a good point, I will definitely make a point of inquiring about this. A jet kit is suppose to make the engine run more smoothly by letting larger quantities of gasoline into the engine I believe? And the vance hines pipes are just suppose to make the bike louder. So I will definitely make a point of making sure the jet kit was properly installed.

PS Does almost 3000$ a year seem like a reasonable cost for a novice biker? Probably just because of where I am. I've heard its alot cheaper in the US.

After some more research of bikes that arent black listed by insurance companies I am reconsidering the katana 600 and found that the GSX650F and GSX750F are both not on the list. Am I wrong in considering them as novice motorcycles or?

Last edited by Shredz : 02-26-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #40
acecycleins
Founding Member

Keeping your first purchase under $3500 will cause a lot less stress when you accidentally drop it at the gas station. So, you're good.