Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   First bike advice (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/17633-first-bike-advice.html)

Shredz 02-20-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 255901)
1000 cc cruisers usually aren't referred to as "liter bikes". That term belongs to 1K sport bikes, usually I-4 designs. There is a world of difference.

A 750 Shadow is perfectly adequate for 2 up.....unless......

The two riders present a HEAVY load
or
You do a LOT or riding in the mountains
or
You think cruising on the interstates means 90 mph. :D

That is if you get one that hasn't been screwed up by an amateur "mechanic" who made changes that he really didn't understand.
Beware used bikes that are not stock......or very near to.

There are good cruisers in the 900-1100 range and I think you will find the insurance more affordable on a V-twin or an I-2.

I agree that a Ninja 500 is a good all purpose starter bike......except that it really isn't good for 2-up except around town.......and there is a lot of plastic body work.

Thanks for clearing up what a liter bike is :D

I need to finance the bike so I will definately be going through a dealer.

I'll take another look at 900-1100cc cruisers but good to hear a 750 will be sufficient.

Thanks to alot of recommendations here I'm probably going to stay clear of "sport" styled bikes. A cruiser seems more practical for what I want right now. After I get a good amount of experience I will definately try to take on some true sport bikes.

pushrod 02-21-2011 06:52 AM

Shredz, I'll add my vote for a Triumph (as if...)

Here is a link to a cool search site. Good luck!

motorcycles and powersports : craigslist eBay kijiji mash : United States

Shredz 02-21-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 255935)
Shredz, I'll add my vote for a Triumph (as if...)

Here is a link to a cool search site. Good luck!

motorcycles and powersports : craigslist eBay kijiji mash : United States

Great site I really appreciate but no luck so far. All bikes I found were private sales on the west coast.

I did notice the Moto Guzzi V7's look alot like italian bonnevilles.

I did some more searching for harleys and realized that there are a few under the 5k mark that would be good options so I am leaning towards an 883 at the moment.

acecycleins 02-21-2011 01:53 PM

The V7 is a great little bike. Underwehlming in power, but awesome bike. May I suggest the 2011 version of Royal Enfield since we have you checking out new versions of old bikes.
I'm not saying don't get the 883, but the handling will be very heavy feeling compaired to the bikes we are mentioning. Another bike that may not be on radar is a 620ie monster. You should be able to find them for $k and under now.

Shredz 02-21-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 255971)
The V7 is a great little bike. Underwehlming in power, but awesome bike. May I suggest the 2011 version of Royal Enfield since we have you checking out new versions of old bikes.
I'm not saying don't get the 883, but the handling will be very heavy feeling compaired to the bikes we are mentioning. Another bike that may not be on radar is a 620ie monster. You should be able to find them for $k and under now.

The enfields have a very classic look to them. Possibly alittle too retro for me if that makes any sense at all.

The ducati monster looks like a great idea. Looks like it would have smooth power delivery.

Edit: forgot to mention, The idiots guide to motorcycling recommends the BMW F800ST for a beginner rider. Anyone have a take on this? Price would probably be the first problem.

As far as the Harley goes I agree the handling is heavier than most honda's and suzuki's but I find the bike comfortable enough to negate this.

acecycleins 02-21-2011 03:07 PM

F800s are good bikes but as a first ride I wouldn't spend the money. Typically, you feel less nauseous when you drop a sub $6k bike vs a $8k+ bike. Just sayin....... Also, BMWs previous gen F650 may be a single cyl bike but is a great bike that will cost a bit less.

acecycleins 02-21-2011 03:09 PM

If you like the sport look then check out a Suzuki Katana 600 or Suzuki Bandit 600. Both will be cheap on gas, to mantain and insure and are fine two up rides. But personally, the V7 has more personality. It may be slower, but the cool factor makes up for it.

Shredz 02-21-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 255981)
If you like the sport look then check out a Suzuki Katana 600 or Suzuki Bandit 600. Both will be cheap on gas, to mantain and insure and are fine two up rides. But personally, the V7 has more personality. It may be slower, but the cool factor makes up for it.

I can see your point about dropping the BMW :D

As far as the sport bikes you mentioned, while checking out local dealerships I was suggested three sport bikes in particular, 2005 Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, 2004 Yamaha YZF-600R and a 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600. I was told all 3 were well suited for a novice rider.

I agree with you about the V7 though, less performance but looks sweet. Again difficult to find used though.

acecycleins 02-21-2011 04:40 PM

Stay away from the Yamaha- not one insurance company I know rates it outside the supersport class. The Bandit will be a better bike than the ZZR in this case. The ZZR motor is 15yo technology and the Bandito is barely 7 now.

Shredz 02-21-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 255987)
Stay away from the Yamaha- not one insurance company I know rates it outside the supersport class. The Bandit will be a better bike than the ZZR in this case. The ZZR motor is 15yo technology and the Bandito is barely 7 now.

Good to know, I'll stay clear of the yamaha and take a closer look at the bandit.

I noticed while bonnevilles and americas are difficult to find there are quite a few triumph sport bikes around. Are there any Triumph sport/sport-touring bikes that are novice friendly?