Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
msiegy
Registered Member

Default Touring/Taking trips with 1litre bikes vs 650

Summary: As a novice rider(age 24), can I take week long trips with 1000+cc bikes while I am riding a SV650, or would I be more combfortable on a sv1000?

My father and his friends go on 1000-3000 miles trips about once a year. They all have big sport touring bikes like the Zx-14 and Hayabausa. I have had my license and MSF training cert for about 6 months, I have ridden for slightly longer than that all on the hayabusa. (the MSF course was completed using a 250 vtwin).

My question is do I need a 1000cc bike in order to take long trips?
This is not a question of outriding my skills, but rather developing proper riding habits and learning the limits of a motorcycle effectively. (can this be done if i skip directly to 1000cc bike?)

I am about to buy a SV1000S at a great price, but I am having second thoughts because I am thinking an SV650 may be just as good/safer.

Let me know what you think, sorry for the wall of text.
msiegy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

No.

In '07 I took a 4000+ mile trip on an FZ6, across MO, AR, MS, and up into TN, through the North GA mountains to FL and the Keys and back, and had no trouble keeping up with any of the others I rode with.

Did another 2800+ mile trip several years prior to that on a 45hp NT650, and had no trouble keeping up with a Z1000 or a ZX9. Nor did it strain with all my gear (4 days clothes, food, camping gear + tent, etc.).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I'd much rather take a 1,000 mile trip on a DL650 than an SV1000. Long rides have more to do with seating position, wind protection, and luggage capacity than engine size.

Of course, a DL1000 would the best of both worlds.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Anaheim
Registered Member

My openion is this.

If you want to make 1000miles travel, (if you love your body and feel respacte for your self), you have to use a 1000cc moto.

you can do a travel like this, even with a 50cc moto if you have a 2-3 weeks space time.

( once i be from Athens (Greece) to Sadanski (Boulgaria). With 650cc moto (BMW Fundouro) bat this travel takes me 2 days to go. With the same speed, the same travel, with 1000cc moto (Varadero)i was need only 1 day. Becose i dont need to stop and arest my self).

I thing is better for you (if you can), to have one big(1000cc) for a long trips, and one small for using it in the city.

Please excuse my english. I thing you undestund what i mean.

Drive well and keep the sun behind you
see you on the road
Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

If the bigger bike you are considering wasn't the same bike (mostly) except the engine, you'd have a decision to make.

But, the SV650 will run all day with anybody. The SV1000 will too, but use more fuel. I'd recommend a decent windscreen, but go with the 'little' one.

And IIRC, the SV1000 never really made a big splash. Mostly (again, IIRC) because it didn't do the job as well as the 650.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegy View Post
My question is do I need a 1000cc bike in order to take long trips?
NO.....not unless it fits your body size better or has a better seat.

Bike (or engine) size does NOT equate to comfort, necessarily.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
msiegy
Registered Member

Thanks for the good advice guys. I got another chance to sit on both today and think that the sv1000 fits my height a little better. I felt too big on the 650.

In an unrelated note, I have a seller out of town that I am planning on buying a bike from. The title he has is signed by the original owner for transferring, but he never transfered it to his name. He suggests I directly transfer the title to myself. From the numerous conversations i have had he seems pretty legitimate.(wants to meet in person before any transaction, was reluctant to take a down payment to hold the bike for a few weeks)

Obviously this is not the safest way to conduct a transaction, but is it uncommon? He is sending me the VIN/original owners info(no phone #)...

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegy View Post
Thanks for the good advice guys. I got another chance to sit on both today and think that the sv1000 fits my height a little better. I felt too big on the 650.

In an unrelated note, I have a seller out of town that I am planning on buying a bike from. The title he has is signed by the original owner for transferring, but he never transfered it to his name. He suggests I directly transfer the title to myself. From the numerous conversations i have had he seems pretty legitimate.(wants to meet in person before any transaction, was reluctant to take a down payment to hold the bike for a few weeks)

Obviously this is not the safest way to conduct a transaction, but is it uncommon? He is sending me the VIN/original owners info(no phone #)...

Thanks for all the advice.
In Virginia they call that "jumping the title". It's illegal but no harm to you as the new buyer. Where the problem is, is the origional owner, whom signed it over to him likely got personal property taxed for it, and reported to the DMV he no longer owns it. Now the DMV is awaiting your presence at the office to register it, and will want to bill you the personal property tax on it from the prior date of sale.
I would print off a "bill of sale" (just google it & you'll find several) make sure it has both your & his name & address, contact #'s & most importantly the date of sale & sale amount. That will show proof of when you took posession and they can pursue him if they chose to recover that unpaid tax. Good luck with the new ride.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
msiegy
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Star Ride, I'm actually up here in Northern Virginia too(weather sucks).

I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I head up there next weekend. If the bike makes it back on the uhaul trailer
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

SVs are great bikes. If it's the standard model and not the S you can get along for 500 or so miles a day and barely notice.