Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #41
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
I just discovered when looking at the TU250 their Mini Cruiser the Suzuki GZ250.
Been there, done that and loved it.

Even took a 1200 mile road trip.

Need to be obsessive about regular carb cleaner and it needs a good bit of choke but otherwise a fine little bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #42
beginner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
A motorcycle is much more maneuverable than a car. Especially when it comes to swerving and braking. And sportbikes and standards are much more maneuverable than cruisers.
But how much of that maneuverability can be used depends on the skill of the rider. Skill mostly depends on how close to the traction limits you can ride. Most of the time traction limits come up when the topic is racing. Bikes are raced on fast tracks (paved and dirt) and on slower tight tracks (motor police and moto gymkhana competitions). The top competitors are usually the ones who also have the best feel for traction changes and the best control of lean angle. Those two abilities, which take years to develop, are just as relevent in emergency situations on the road, and in traffic, as they are on a track.
beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #43
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

Hi guys!

Was really busy at work and with the rest of my life lately. I see there are more useful comments were added since I last visited this thread. Thank you so much to everybody who contributed! Fantastic info, links and pdf.

Here is an update.

1. Bikes:
I have bought two bikes - 140cc new Gio dirt bike (already in my garage ) and 2011 ninja 250r (waiting for delivery ).

2. Learning:
I will be taking two safety courses this spring and 101 supervised instructor road riding sessions until the instructor tells me that I am ready for my road test. Once the snow is out, I will start riding my dirt bike to help me to learn all the controls and handling without any traffic until it's my second nature. So, I think, the schooling and dirt bike riding should prepare me to my road test and start riding on the street in low traffic hours. Besides, even if I wanted to, I cannot take my ninja to more than 45 km/h untill the break in period is over according to the manufacture, so I am prepared slowly build up my skills and confidence and wait patiently until I am ready to hit the highway to ride to work.

3. Gear:
I went with textile armored Icon jacket and textile armored Joe Rocket Alter ego pants. Both are very versatile, layered, waterproof, ventilated and fit great. I however had hard time finding the gear I like because local stores don't carry much of women's riding gear and online stores don't help much to nail your size for what they offer. I've got a very colorful Arai Aoyama helmet and Alpinstars boots. I also bough the full gear to ride a dirt bike as well.

I guess that's it for now. We have about three feet of snow on the ground right now and temps are not going above zero for another couple of weeks to start melting it. So, meanwhile, I just study the manufacturer manuals for my new bikes and make sure that gear will look flawless once I am ready to put it on for my first ride - dirt or street.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #44
beginner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsForBarbie View Post
Hi guys!

Was really busy at work and with the rest of my life lately. I see there are more useful comments were added since I last visited this thread. Thank you so much to everybody who contributed! Fantastic info, links and pdf.

Here is an update.

1. Bikes:
I have bought two bikes - 140cc new Gio dirt bike (already in my garage ) and 2011 ninja 250r (waiting for delivery ).

2. Learning:
I will be taking two safety courses this spring and 101 supervised instructor road riding sessions until the instructor tells me that I am ready for my road test. Once the snow is out, I will start riding my dirt bike to help me to learn all the controls and handling without any traffic until it's my second nature. So, I think, the schooling and dirt bike riding should prepare me to my road test and start riding on the street in low traffic hours. Besides, even if I wanted to, I cannot take my ninja to more than 45 km/h untill the break in period is over according to the manufacture, so I am prepared slowly build up my skills and confidence and wait patiently until I am ready to hit the highway to ride to work.

3. Gear:
I went with textile armored Icon jacket and textile armored Joe Rocket Alter ego pants. Both are very versatile, layered, waterproof, ventilated and fit great. I however had hard time finding the gear I like because local stores don't carry much of women's riding gear and online stores don't help much to nail your size for what they offer. I've got a very colorful Arai Aoyama helmet and Alpinstars boots. I also bough the full gear to ride a dirt bike as well.

I guess that's it for now. We have about three feet of snow on the ground right now and temps are not going above zero for another couple of weeks to start melting it. So, meanwhile, I just study the manufacturer manuals for my new bikes and make sure that gear will look flawless once I am ready to put it on for my first ride - dirt or street.
The smart thing you did was get that little dirt bike. It's going to teach you a lot.
beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #45
obama5493
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsForBarbie View Post
We have a huge motocycle show coming to the city on January 14-16 and I am going to sit on every single bike that is allowed there. My inseam length is 31" and 250R has a seat height of 30.5" as per manf specs. I hope I will be able to reach the ground.

Did you ride it before on the highway? How it is against the wind? If you ride for 40 minutes or so, how comfortable is it? I still need to work after I arrive, lol!

Do you think I will be able to handle 650R considering that I have zero experience riding bikes?
Among other things I have a KLX 250 SF that I sometimes commute on. That route includes the "slab" and the intersection of 2 interstates. The 250 is capable but requires defensive tactics, more so than a larger bike.

Invest some time on some county road maps. Look for an alternative route to the slab. You may find a "fun" way to get back and forth to work.